Part 3 ~ turtle club

Options

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Hey y’all (yes, that’s supposed to be a country thang)

I’ve tried to catch up on everything…

Richmond, definite maybe for me. It’s a bit late on my Marathon agenda, but that could be a contingency if things don’t go well.

London would be an amazing run, Erika, is there a good marathon or other really cool race in or near there? It could be a good way to organize my next fly thru visit.

Leash, I’ll band wagon a bit here and say great job for being alert and getting thru that situation. That had to be very scary, and how is the presentation going, I think you had the first review already, right?

Kelynn, ya, B is paying for sure, his folding money is so big it’s like 11x17 or something crazy. We’re all going to the motherland…haha

Becky, feeling the love, and you are dynamite, and who cares if it sounds all 80ish…whatever!

Shuntae, that was a great progress report a few posts back, and it is always good to reflect on how far we have come.

Julie, hope you sleep great tonight, I know that’s not a given in your world.

Tom, the track Tuesday maestro. Glad to see a new goal on the horizon for ya, and a Feb goal is perfect this time of year.

Wendy, you all prepped for the outdoor runs? It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas… OK, maybe not, but CAN”T wait for some snow runs!!!

Tabby, you are so great to have around, and love your sense of humor, candor, and that you snort at my dumb humor…haha! No idea on the nerve questions you asked.

Kechie, how is the running coming, I haven’t noticed a run post for a few and curious how the recovery is coming and what’s all going on, beside rock/paper/scissors Olympic qualifers. Hope you are doing great!

Nitz…what’s up, you are so shy now, haha! Hope you are getting everything dialed in for Philly.

Jess…I am really happy your ankle is firming up, and hope it gets fully healed so you can hit 2011 ready to compete at the next level, because you’ve got it in you. You shopping for a new bike yet, now is when the LBS will really deal.

B… bleacher run sounds so old-school. Also, I think the “B” designation is hilarious too. Not sure where it came from, but it is reminiscent of MIB (Men in Black), so I envision this black coat/tie gig…. funny, and perhaps fitting for this group..haha

About Ray…no running for a few and mediocre to moderately porky is the theme lately due to this trip and planned “social” events. I may nurse things til after Kel's B-day, and then jump into an intense regime for the holidays as work slows down and can focus on several weeks of intense training.

The good news, reading a new book called “Never Let Go” by Dan John, and it is a great read so far. He is a leading strength/conditioning coach and strong-man Olympian type, but his principles apply to so many areas of fitness and life. He has a no BS approach to conditioning and I have already found several new things I’ll try right away to see how they work for me. I love putting knowledge into motion, and truly an experiential learner, especially if it is practical.

I am headed to downtown Nashville tomorrow night, so that will be fun, and enjoy live bands and energy of cities like this. Sorry for the loooong post, but it’s likely my only one this week.

Keep going forward everyone!
    Ray
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    just as a side note to the day -- completed backup Tuesday at 445pm (yes, a little late, but at least it was on the right day)
    10min warmup, 5x1min hard w/1min recovery, 11 min cooldown, for 4 miles total
    short on distance, but pretty high on intensity. starting to feel a little chilly out there...just sayin...
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    WOW Ray longest post ever! We appreciate it :bigsmile:

I have been super busy the last couple days, we have a big match tomorrow. My presentation went well and I have an appointment for Friday for my injection. I just hope I can start working out again. My right leg was sore today from having to run away from that guy yesterday, thats whats strange my right leg is sore but not my left (my injured side)... hm.. anyways, honestly I don't have much energy right now so this post is going to be short. Have a great night everyone!

~Leash :drinker:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    just as a side note to the day -- completed backup Tuesday at 445pm (yes, a little late, but at least it was on the right day)
    10min warmup, 5x1min hard w/1min recovery, 11 min cooldown, for 4 miles total
    short on distance, but pretty high on intensity. starting to feel a little chilly out there...just sayin...

Thank you for keeping the world right. Whats chilly? It was about 75 today in Cali, WOOHOO! Too bad I couldn't really get out to enjoy it, lame. Nice workout though bg!
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Good Mooorrrnnniiinnnggg MFP Runners!!!!! :bigsmile:

Ray ~ good to hear from you! Hope you have a great time in Nashville tonite! Wildhorse Saloon is so much fun! :happy:

Kechie~ good for you! Show those kids how it's done! (of course, we won't mention your inability to walk today! :laugh: )

Leash~ I hope you are feeling more rested today. Yeah! :smile: An injection date!

Julie ~ speaking of rested...I hope you slept last night! (((hugs)))

Shuntae~ how are the legs, speedy? :wink: I am so proud of your time! That is just awesome!

B~ thank you for your contribution to track Tuesday! :flowerforyou:

Kelynn~ how goes the birth month celebrating? :huh: How is your weather holding up?

Tabby~ any snow in the forecast so you can start sleigh rides? I guess it IS almost that time of year! :noway:

Erika~ surely an invitation for my cousin's wedding is in the mail...maybe you heard about her engagement to some guy named William?....:tongue: ....I mean, we must be related ~ how many Middletons are there in the world? :laugh: ...I'll let you know when I get it :laugh: so we can plan a get together :wink:

OINK, OINK, OINK! I have pretty much eaten everything in the house that isn't nailed down over the past 2 days :grumble:
    I really need to get focused. I want to drop back to summer weight by marathon time!
    Fast food battle has been a losing one 2 out of 3 days this week, but I WILL win the war! I WILL! I WILL! I WILL!

I think I'm going to take 2 heavy bag classes today, plus my run. Yesterday's 5 miles were not nearly as bad as I anticipated. I was actually able to run in shorts. We had a weird storm front going through and it felt like a spring day.

Have a wonderful day!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    warning - Debbie Downer to follow....

went to leave work to go to the gym and DH called -- stuck in traffic -- won't be able to get the kids. So off I go -- hoping to workout at home -- then the drama begins. :cry: My cat has been missing since Friday. He's at least 14 years old so we assumed he had wandered off to go to the Rainbow Bridge. Well, last night he shows up. He is a wreck -- dirty -- disoriented -- unable to stand or walk straight. great. Not sure where he's been or what happened. Doesn't appear to have any wounds -- not sure if he got stuck somewhere with no food or water -- if he was hit in the head. :sad: :sad: :sad: I'd ask what's next -- but I'm really not ready for it today. So needless to say, another sleepless night. :yawn:

Hoping to run tonight -- but who knows what life has planned for me today.

Oh and B -- I'm up for a trip across the pond on your dime -- I'm ready for a vacation!

One more thing -- you can officially refer to me as Miss Piggy -- I swear the harder I seem to try, the worse I do!

Enjoy the day!:flowerforyou:
    Julie
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    (((hugs))) Julie!
    I hope kitty is okay! Please keep us posted. Poor little fur baby! :frown:

I totally relate to your statement about the harder you try, the worse you do. I am absolutely having the same struggle! I am even eating things I don't particularly like just because I can't stop eating! :grumble:

Keep on hanging on! (((hugs)))
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Leash, yay for the injection appointment! *fingers crossed* that you feel like a new woman when it's done! :drinker:

Ray, I do snort when I laugh, and my husband finds that incredibly funny and torments me so he can hear it on a regular basis. You would think he would be over that by now, but noooooooo..... :ohwell:

B, thanks for sprining for a trip to London for all of us! Wow, I really do love the folks in this group.... :bigsmile: :laugh:

Julie, poor kitty cat. Hopefully a little food and water will perk him up. :frown:

Becky, you made me LOL with your comment about eating things you don't even like. I so do that! When I try to cut out a few calories, I am suddenly obsessing about food and eating as though someone is going to come along and tell me I can't have any more, ever, again! WTF? :ohwell: As for the snow, we usually get that around beginning to middle December, the kind that stays and makes a firm enough base for the sleigh. Soon, very soon!

No run for me today, it is absolutely pouring here today, and I want to give that pain in my @$$ time to recoup. It is feeling better today, but I will run tomorrow and it will flare up again, probably. Riding tonight. Yippeeee!! :heart:

Have a great day everyone!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hey all-

This might be random, but...

Anyone know where to start researching breeders? We want to get a beagle puppy in the Spring, and it's somewhat difficult to find breeders online, and although there are plenty of dogs out there (petfinder.com etc), but I need to be able to meet the little guy in person before I buy him, and a lot of the places just ship you a pup. :ohwell: If anyone has any advice or knows where to start, that'd be helpful... the process can be very overwhelming :noway:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Hey all-

Anyone know where to start researching breeders? We want to get a beagle puppy in the Spring, and it's somewhat difficult to find breeders online, and although there are plenty of dogs out there (petfinder.com etc), but I need to be able to meet the little guy in person before I buy him, and a lot of the places just ship you a pup. :ohwell: If anyone has any advice or knows where to start, that'd be helpful... the process can be very overwhelming :noway:

Why don't you get one from an adopt a pet place? They are much cheaper and your helping out a little pup that needs a home. Sometimes you can even find full bred ones if thats important to you. I don't know how to research them otherwise, maybe look for reviews on the facilities or something? Good luck!!!

~Leash
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey all-

There is bound to be a local kennel club, so that is a good place to start for references. Check with the local vet to see if they know any local breeders. It may make a difference to you whether the dogs are bred for show or field trials / hunting. The show lines tend to be cuter and a little less 'high drive'. A high drive hunting dog may not adjust well to being home alone duing the day. You definitely want to pick your pup out in person. You don't necessarily want the boldest pup (see previous comment), but you don't want the shy one in the corner either. (You may be able to find articles on line on how to assess puppy personality - there is a ton written on it). If you have a choice of colors and markings, don't let that distract you from personality. Cute wears thin eventually, crazy is forever.:bigsmile:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Oink! Oink!

I am trying so hard but I would just give up if you guys were not waiting here for me.:flowerforyou:

I love to run in the morning. This morning I couldn't b/c I had an appointment. I came pretty close to skipping my run today. Around lunchtime I realized that I needed to return some books to the library. So, I ran to the library and back!:drinker: It was about 4.5 miles.

Off to wash my eyeballs. I saw a dead fox on the sidewalk on the way.:cry: Still traumatized. Glad I ran though.:drinker:

Be right back,
    -Kechie.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hey all-

Why don't you get one from an adopt a pet place? They are much cheaper and your helping out a little pup that needs a home. Sometimes you can even find full bred ones if thats important to you. I don't know how to research them otherwise, maybe look for reviews on the facilities or something? Good luck!!!

~Leash

Leash, I've been looking into that, too. We are dead-set on getting a puppy as young as possible, and it's usually rare to find a puppy that young at a rescue facility, but I am looking. I check the Humane Society's website almost every day, but they have more adult dogs than puppies.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hey all-

There is bound to be a local kennel club, so that is a good place to start for references. Check with the local vet to see if they know any local breeders. It may make a difference to you whether the dogs are bred for show or field trials / hunting. The show lines tend to be cuter and a little less 'high drive'. A high drive hunting dog may not adjust well to being home alone duing the day. You definitely want to pick your pup out in person. You don't necessarily want the boldest pup (see previous comment), but you don't want the shy one in the corner either. (You may be able to find articles on line on how to assess puppy personality - there is a ton written on it). If you have a choice of colors and markings, don't let that distract you from personality. Cute wears thin eventually, crazy is forever.:bigsmile:

Thanks, Tom- that's a good idea to check with a local vet. I looked at the AKC website, but thought it was confusing and hard to navigate. My friend just got a boxer puppy and she got in touch with the breeder through the AKC website, so she is going to help me too. Thanks for the suggestion. And yes, I've been doing a lot of reading about how to choose a puppy!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hey all-

The American Kennel Club has a list of breeders for each breed. I agree with Tom though. We have had 2 pure bred dogs.

One was bred for showing. Someone in his bloodline won Westminster. He had some serious tummy/dermatology issues that we believe were caused by his being bred for appearance. Very sweet dog for a hunting breed though. Wouldn't hurt a fly.

Our second was also a pure bred. She was CRAZY. The Vet suggested Prozac. I couldn't bring myself to drug her so we put up with her craziness until the end. She bit me 2 times. One time required medical attention. She bit the other dog quite a few times. 3 times required trips to the vet. She nipped a good friend of mine who was playing with her once. And she drove our neighbors crazy b/c she suffered separation anxiety while we were at work. I could go on and on. She was crazy. The dog hotel called me in the middle of our 10 day vacation and refused to board her again.

I'm thinking our next "kid" will come from our local shelter.:bigsmile:
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Hey all-

Can't help you with a breeder, but I can echo what some of the others have said about selecting carefully. My nan has had three beagles at different times - one was a lovely dog, but the other two were very difficult dogs. I think there is definitely something to be said that beagles are really pack animals and this can affect their behaviour. Anyway, this has all been said already! Good luck with finding the right pup!

Weight day for me today. I too am being a little piggy...

Erika x
  • VballLeash
    Options
    I just made m&m rice krispie treats for my vball team... yum!

BTW why didn't anyone ask for my pumpkin mashed potato recipe? haha I'm telling you its good!!!

Erika- Good luck on your weigh in, I'm hoping its more chirp chirp instead of oink oink :smile:

Julie- How are you doing? I hope better... I'm sorry you are going through so much, I know the feeling.. I'm going through a lot right now too, more than I like to type, just know we are here for you.

Becky- You can do this!!! You'll be back to your goal in no time, don't worry just stay focused :flowerforyou:

Tabby- Enjoy your rest day, I hate the rain, beautiful 70 degrees in Cali, don't hate me lol

Kechie- You got it done thats what matters, plus you got an errand done!

Wendy- I've heard good things about Born to Run, hoping for a quick recovery on your shin, freeze a dixie cup of water and then tear off the top and freeze that damn shin!!!

Big match tonight, wish us luck!!!!! I am really hoping Friday's injection helps, PLEASE PLEASE!

~Leash :drinker:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just got back from riding. :heart: The horse I borrow there is exactly like the horse I had as a teenager. Makes me feel like a kid again every time I ride him. :bigsmile: Little grey arabian. Sweet!

Kelynn, Tom's advice about asking local vets was good, and keep an eye out in your local paper. Even if you don't want a puppy now, you could find ones near you, and you could look at their place and their dogs when you AREN'T ready to bring one home. That way you don't make a snap decision based on cuteness. Steer clear of any place that has a lot of breeding dogs that they just keep in a kennel or a barn. That screams puppymill. Ask the people how often they breed their females. They shouldn't be bred more than once a year. More than that tells me the people don't really care about their animals. Good luck! The right dog will find you!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks Tabby. :flowerforyou: and you're right about everything you said... that's why I am starting the research process now :wink:

By the way, where is everyone tonight? :huh: Was it something I said? :huh:

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    HI and Happy Thursday!
    Still dealing with the cat-tastrophe! He's a bit better -- we all cheered when we got home last night and he was still with us. What a fighter! As for me -- got in 5.5 miles (Lucifer called for 5-6 so that should keep him happy!) Did 1 mile warmup then alternated 1mile at 2% incline - 1 mile @ 0% -- you get the picture. Was a nice change of pace! Then this little piggy went to taco hell. But in my defense I did order off the al fresco menu. Only had one taco a few bites of beans and a few chips. (Trying to make myself feel better). Back on track today. One more thing -- weighed yesterday morning 133:cry: -- weighed after my run at 7pm -- 131:bigsmile: Amazing how much my weight fluctuates!

Leash -- hope your girls won last night!

Tabby -- your ride sounds awesome! I want to come visit and ride horses and trek thru the snow and go on sleigh rides!!!!

Kelynn-- good luck with the dog! what a fun adventure. Our dogs have always come to us in the weirdest ways....our golden retriever was from a litter of about 6 -- and she picked us. She came and sat on my shoe and has been by my side ever since. our boston terrier -- well someone had a hand in us getting him. we decided to start looking --found one, last of the liter and he has been the best dog ever. We knew instantly when we met him that he was the dog for us! he is so full of personality and is truly like our 3rd kid! I'm so excited for you! But I could NEVER start looking now and NOT take one home -- which is why I have been banned from the local SPCA -- I want to bring them ALL Home!

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Here's to an uneventful day!:drinker:
    Julie