So what do you add to your Oatmeal...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Pear and almond butter
    Apples, cinnamon
    Almond butter and jelly
    Always add like one tsp of sugar.

I often add half a scoop of vanilla protein powder too.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    I like to add brown sugar and sometimes peanut butter.
  • mortgagegirl1
    mortgagegirl1 Posts: 9 Member
    1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup fruit.

Blend together and put in frying pan to pancakes. Drizzle with maple syrup.
  • I use 1/2c old fashioned oats 1/2c water. Microwave 1.5min. Add 1/2c frozen blueberries, microwave 1min. Top with a 1/4 cup greek nonfat vanilla yogurt. Very satisfying.
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Usually the liquid is half water, half skim or almond milk. My go-to additions are cinnamon and a few raisins and slivered almonds. Unless I have leftover pumpkin puree from a recipe, then I stir in about a tablespoon of that and some pumpkin pie spice.

If I'm cooking up a batch of steel cut to have over a few days, I finely dice an apple and reduce the liquid just a bit. The apple almost dissolves into the oats, and I just add cinnamon.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I cook 4 servings (1 cup) steel cut oats in the crockpot with 3 cups water, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup raisins and copious sprinklings of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.

Sometimes I nuke a serving or two with a banana - sooo good!

This week I'm thinking of using blueberries instead of raisins but will add them after the batch cools so they don't get mushy.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    I usually add fresh pears or apples cut up into tiny pieces. I see now that I have really been missing out; love the ideas.
  • karlyy_mc
    karlyy_mc Posts: 16 Member
    Brown Sugar or Honey, Sunflower seeds( any seeds make for an amazing touch of crunch), flax seed's good for the protein too. Or just go old school with water+milk :-) Porridge for brekkie FTW!
  • Raisins, flour, spices, baking soda, then I bake them as cookies.
  • licktat
    licktat Posts: 11 Member
    I read some of your oatmeal additions, and played with my bland oatmeal, and created... Ambrosia.
    I have been loving MFP and it works for me. I had a sweet tooth before MFP, and even though I don't crave as many sweets and desserts, I have to find ways to satisfy the itch. I had been putting honey in my cream of wheat, and brown sugar in my oatmeal. Because of Y'all, I made my oatmeal with Almond milk, and added a dollop of Greek good honey yogurt, blueberries, and a little brown sugar.
    It was like eating dessert. I have to quantify it in my food additions to cover the bases, but it he ingredients are all healthy, and I get tons of energy for cardio. I might try it without the brown sugar, but a teaspoon isn't that much and I like it in the background.
    The funny thing is that I am NOT a tree hugging hot planet guy. I'm a hard working testosterone knuckle dragger, so I can't tell my friends I eat this stuff.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    A lot of great ideas!
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    I have 40g Quaker oats with semi-skimmed milk and usually chopped Bananas, Honey or Greek Yoghurt.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I like using a mix of cinnamon, raisins, a little brown sugar, freshly grounded flax & chia seeds and vanilla protein powder (if I need it for the day) with my steel cut oatmeal.

I also make cookies with rolled oats with the same combination.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    jam
  • TracieWomble
    TracieWomble Posts: 10 Member
    I get a bag of frozen forest fruits and put 80g in the bottom of a bowl and nuke for 30 seconds then pour the hot oatmeal over the top - its BRILLIANT
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Honey!
  • avemaryama
    avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
    I love my oat meal,

what i add depends on the day. My recurring ingredients are, little bit of salt (you wouldn't believe the difference a tiny tiny amount makes), soy/almond/camel milk. Brown sugar/Maple syrup, all manner of fruit except mango pineapple and kiwi, Cinnamon/cardamom/nutmeg/cloves,
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I eat the kind in the packets, my local grocery store has a kind with pecans in it that I love. It's pretty bland so I add a TBSP of PB for flavor and protein.
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    3 T of egg whites, honey, berries, cinnamon, PB2 or just plain peanut butter.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Any and all dried berries. Oatmeal on it's own has an unpleasant texture (i am weird about food textures) so I need some meatiness to my oatmeal.