Okay...big shoulders...

Options
I read on a website, that women who use weights will get broader shoulders...I don't want broader shoulders, at all. Is this true?!

I have really fat arms, I don't want fat arms, I want muscle, but I want my arms to get lean, and my shoulders. I don't like the hourglass figure, like that website suggested all women like. I used to have a slight pear shape. I would like to have that back. My legs have always been muscular and bigger.

Does this only apply to women who like seriously use weights and stuff? I am just using like 3lb or 5lb wieghts ..I just went to 5lb, I'm very weak and those are pretty hard for me. I'm just worried, I don't want broad shoulders. I get this is a site for fitness and many women here are super muscular, but for me and my husband, it's not attractive on me, I'd rather just be slightly muscles and look lean and thin..no broad shoulders.

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    not gonna happen on accident... even if you did train hard enough to gain that appearance you could easily get to where you want.. muscle isnt permanent... it must be maintained... dont maintain it and youll get smaller.. its that simple... i wish i could just eat right and never lift again.. how nice would that be...
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The ability to grow muscle due to routine exercise is negligible, you can only develop bigger shoulders if you specifically work at it. And even then, unless you have the right genetics, prolly won't happen. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • MrsMRo220
    MrsMRo220 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    not gonna happen on accident... even if you did train hard enough to gain that appearance you could easily get to where you want.. muscle isnt permanent... it must be maintained... dont maintain it and youll get smaller.. its that simple... i wish i could just eat right and never lift again.. how nice would that be...

Thanks! I just want to get back to being a small attractive person again. The weights have helped a lot even being so small, I used to struggle when taking our hamper downstairs, it's pretty huge (there's five of us) and I did it with not a problem which was nice.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    No worries. You won't get ripped anywhere using 5# weights.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Here's what happens with 3lb weights OP

32zjhbl.jpg
  • MrsMRo220
    Options
    Here's what happens with 3lb weights OP

32zjhbl.jpg

Nothing? Well when you have 0 strength, they actually can, I'm proof. They made all my workouts a little harder. I could barely pick up my 5lb bag of flour.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you have been reading, but it's a load of crap. The only way you're going to get broad shoulders is if you are genetically programed to have broad shoulders and then you'd probably have them since birth.

Same thing with body shape, you can't really become an hourglass if you are straight up and down or apple shaped or what have you, because it's not how you're programmed. Well, I guess technically you could but it would take medical intervention and a plastic surgeon. To firm up and lift the butt, lunges and squats. They're awesome!

Regardless, you aren't going to wake up one morning and be all ripped. If you see your body going in a direction you don't like, then change up your routine. You'll be fine! :-)
  • MrsMRo220
    Options
    I love how people are all being rude. Okay yea, I'm a woman, I don't want to lift giant weights. Most men, normal men do not find that attractive, sorry! I know for a fact. In college I took study's, mass study's about body types, face types, ect ect. Also, the most important thing, my husband is not attracted to it!
  • Walter__
    Options
    Nothing? Well when you have 0 strength, they actually can, I'm proof. They made all my workouts a little harder. I could barely pick up my 5lb bag of flour.

No, I don't mean nothing will happen. You'll make quick progress with strength gains.

What I mean is relax and don't worry that just because you start lifting weights you're going to get big broad shoulders and look buff. The chicks that look manly from lifting weights, like professional female bodybuilders, are that way because they're pumped full of steroids and testosterone.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think it is safe to say that for every body type a woman can be, there are some men attracted to it. Personally I have broader shoulders, and I'm fine with it. Also, I think the woman in the picture posted looks awesome! And I don't think you will need to worry about it unless you are actively trying to get that look.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I love how people are all being rude. Okay yea, I'm a woman, I don't want to lift giant weights. Most men, normal men do not find that attractive, sorry! I know for a fact. In college I took study's, mass study's about body types, face types, ect ect. Also, the most important thing, my husband is not attracted to it!

Calls people rude. Makes a rude statement about what "normal men" find attractive. Seems legit.

By the way...I squat my body weight and deadlift more than my body weight. I don't think I look unattractive, but thanks for suggesting I do.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I wish it was as easy as some women think it is to put on muscle! I have been lifting heavy weights for over a year and still don't look bulky or broader.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Woooowwww... I'm hear to say, as a 6'1'', broad shouldered, hourglassed female, that there are indeed some men out there that find THIS type of woman attractive. Damn my fiancé for being so abnormal and thinking I'm attractive...
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Yeah, well, I'm 5'11", hourglassy, broad shouldered and didn't realize I was married to an abnormal freak or completely unattractive. But then again, I studied art and design in college.
  • Walter__
    Options

You seem to have a misconception that touching a weight is going to make you huge and buff. It's just annoying to hear stuff like that. There's people here, both women and men, who've been lifting heavy weights and dieting for months, if not years, yet they still aren't anywhere near where they want to be. It's nowhere near as easy as you think.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Calls people rude. Makes a rude statement about what "normal men" find attractive. Seems legit.

By the way...I squat my body weight and deadlift more than my body weight. I don't think I look unattractive, but thanks for suggesting I do.

Mia looks damn fabulous.
    I want to look as unattractive as she does.

You're being absolutely absurd OP.
    You aren't going to get massive and physically 'unattractive' with your 5# hand weights.
    It takes a lot of time, effort, and food to build the muscle the lady in that picture has.
    Females don't have the testosterone that men do so building muscle is much harder for us.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    Mia looks damn fabulous.
    I want to look as unattractive as she does.

You're being absolutely absurd OP.
    You aren't going to get massive and physically 'unattractive' with your 5# hand weights.
    It takes a lot of time, effort, and food to build the muscle the lady in that picture has.
    Females don't have the testosterone that men do so building muscle is much harder for us.

Awww, thank you :heart:
  • JoPa9477
    Options
    Yu are doing fine with what you can lift! Do what you can...better to use a lower weight with more controlled movements so you do not injure yourself.

Just remember, if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I find your comments a little rude and offensive tbh. I love my broad shoulders and hour glass figure that is in my genes. If you are pear shaped you will probably always be pear shaped. This is good because its what you want right? I'm not going to go into detail about how I used to look fantastic when I lifted regularly and my husband (who is a normal man the last time I checked ) thought so too. You can use the search feature on here to help you understand how hard it is for a woman to look masculine. But at the end of the day, if you don't want to lift, don't lift. There's no need to shame people like me who want a harder, more masculine body than I have now. We each have out own goals. There is no "normal".
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Good luck getting bulky. I've been trying for years and I just keep getting leaner and hotter.

Seriously, OP, 5lbs isn't going to get you anywhere near bulky. Also, please stop the broad generalizations about what men find attractive, not only are they rude, they're also false.
This discussion has been closed.