Planking

Options

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    30 seconds. But when I started almost a year ago, I couldn't do more than get myself in position then drop to my knees, so I'm thrilled with 30 seconds!
  • MissMintyMoo
    MissMintyMoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find it completely impossible, can't do it at all, my 9 year old on the other hand put me to shame, with front plank, then on the left, then the right and could hold it until she got bored!

Heathyranne, that's good to hear as that is exactly where I am, so I will persist!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day 1 minute to a minute and a half.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    4 minutes.... but it get's boring (and unproductive) so I do other planks, like:
    - elevated feet,
    - plank with reverse leg raise,
    - plank with single arm extensions, etc...

Best!
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I LOVE planks. I just timed myself and I got a little over a minute.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP's question made me curious, never tried before, but lots of core work and pushups so....

To answer question: 3 minutes on forearms and toes.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Until I'm bored? If you can handle more than 90 seconds, I suggest you try a harder variety (feet on bench, one arm up, one leg up, arms on swiss ball, or some combination of these). Also, holding a plank while doing a cable pull down is a crazy challenge to the core.

I was thinking this same thing. :flowerforyou:

Agree^.

http://nicktumminello.com/2014/01/the-321-abdominal-plank-and-other-cool-stuff/
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I'm trying to tone up so I was doing planks today along with push-ups and tomorrow is Zumba
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    45 seconds. I could barely hold it for 10 seconds when I first started doing them...last year sometime.

Still can't do side planks though. I fall down before I ever get into position. lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    About 3 minutes. I need to switch to a more challenging plank though.
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    3 minutes. I am trying to do a plank challenge this month. Even though I don't do it everyday, depends on the Dvd I use that day, Ive went from a minute to 3 minutes. The last 30 seconds I'm usually shaking and want to be done.
  • sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't do planks =P
    I believe planking is the act of laying like a moron on top of an object though =P

haha ditto!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    normal plank: no idea

http://bretcontreras.com/the-rkc-plank/ 1 minute

For anyone who needs more challenging planks, try the above or just add weight. I either do RKC style or 40kg plonked on the back.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Love planks! Usually do them in a Tabata style format. 20w/10r, alternate planks with either l-sits/V-Holds or dragonfly
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and love planking! I started at 20 seconds 3 months ago and can do 80 now. It really firms up your stomach, so I'll keep going. It's not for everyone, but gives you satisfaction if you can do it!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    90s - I do this 3 times with 90s rest between each plank. They are part of my Strength programme

It is murder!!!!

I guess I should look into the more advanced ones for the next stage of the programme though
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    45sec on a balance ball.
    1+min forearms and toes.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    2 minutes
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I heard planking was very good so I decided to try it well for my first time I was able to hold myself up for 1 minute and 1 and 1/2 seconds. How long can you plank for?

30 seconds at a time

In was wrong, I can do 60 sec. I just never have before. But my 30s are challenged by always reaching out for a target with alternating hands or doing 10 lb dumbbell rows during them.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    normal plank: no idea

http://bretcontreras.com/the-rkc-plank/ 1 minute

For anyone who needs more challenging planks, try the above or just add weight. I either do RKC style or 40kg plonked on the back.

I tried it once a week or so with my son lying on my back. I think I lasted 5 seconds :laugh: But he's 10 an weighs about 70 lbs. Guess I need to start a bit lower and work it up.