Anyone in or near 40's?

Options

Replies

• grenod
    grenod Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I'm 45 and I too find it harder to lose weight and keep my energy up. I finally decided that this year I will take better care of myself. I have cut down on sugar, and eat regular meals (no skipping breakfast!!) and already I feel so much better.
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'll be 43 in March. My baby turned a year old last month.

I've lost 22 pounds since August of this year by eliminating grain and sugar from my diet and walking ~2 miles per day. It's really minimal effort with maximum results IMHO.

I gained 4 pounds over the holidays and am currently doing the Whole30. I've lost 6 pounds in the past 20 days. In the past 3 years I've been as high at 183 (pregnancy delivery weight) and am now at 138 -- 8 pounds from my goal!

You CAN do it! You have to WANT IT BAD ENOUGH and you have to make YOU A PRIORITY and you have to WORK HARD FOR IT.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    42 and in the best shape of my life. Started my actual lifestyle makeover as a quest to drop weight 6 months ahead of my 40th bday. Picked up running about 8 weeks before my 40th and fell in love. I now adore strength training and distance running. I'll never be a fitness model or fool anyone into thinking I'm in my 20s (heck, my 2 oldest boys are in their early 20s), but I feel great, love wearing fitted clothing, enjoy learning new things about fitness and just loving life!!

It may take more effort and more discipline, but you can achieve any reasonable fitness goal you set for yourself. Heck...I ran my first full marathon at age 42 in just over 4 hours. Not setting any land speed records, but reaching new milestones all the time.

You - CAN - DO- IT!!!
  • RNT99
    RNT99 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 42 and looking for friends to keep me motivated!!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am not new to MFP but have not been on in ages. I turned 40 this last year and feel worse than I have ever felt (and weigh more than I ever have) so I'm back on the bandwagon. I noticed as I neared 40, my body changed a lot and has stopped responding to exercising...it's true...it does get harder at 40!

So I'm looking for others who are in their late 30's or in their 40's to help encourage each other to keep on this!

I disagree, I turned 40 around 3 weeks ago, I'm now fitter than ever and I weight less than I ever had in my adult life, but would been a good idea to got into shape before turning the 40, I was worried I was not in shape for 40, so I did something about it, but body changed in my 30s, I put on weight easier, nothing was working, exercising less until I learnt how to calories, and then I didn't even have a home scale, I didnt know how much I weighed, all I knew I was big, round, needing to be comfortable in now x7 xl shirts, trouble sleeping, and terrible aching feet that had to hold my weight up everywhere.
  • dcomiskey2014
    Options
    Staying fit after you turn 40 is definitely harder. What I found works for me is to set concrete goals. I started doing triathlons about 4 years ago and signing myself up for 5-6 races per year keeps me going (with the exception of the winter doldrums).

Might I suggest to the OP to sign up for something, like a few 5Ks, duathlon, Masters swimming team, etc? You'd be surprised how much that helps. You can do it!
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always do better with a goal. My current goal is based on a "biggest loser" contest that we're having at work. I'm not the biggest one in the contest but, I know that if I reach my goal, even if I don't win the contest I'll still be celebrating.
  • TiKiMaTT949
    TiKiMaTT949 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    46 here and back after a 7 month hiatus. In need of a few motivational friends, anyone is welcome to add me :)
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So I have a little over 2 weeks in here and I am 49. So doest that mean that when I turn 50 in October this year that you will defriend me?
    :sad:
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i'm 40 as of this past summer, and have been going up and down in weight, losing the same 10 pounds over and over for years, finding myself in a good routine on and off .... i would tend to get bored with the same old thing, and i never had luck with "dieting". i find that i have the best results now (as i've gotten older) since i've learned more about what types of exercise work for me. i HAVE to do cardio AND weights and i HAVE to stay within a calorie range of 1200-1500 depending on daily activity. as soon as i grasped the concept of calories and weight loss being that of basic math (calories IN have to be less than what i'm burning), it's been easier! i still blow it and have a pizza now and then, but that does not derail my entire month like it used to. :) i love this site and the use of the food diary has become second nature in all my meal planning and fitness goals. :)
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    38, coming up on 39 here..... would love to be pals and encourage each other! I'm pretty active on here, committed to being in the best shape of my life by 40. Good luck to you!
  • smz77494
    smz77494 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and looking for a pal to start this journey with. I hate exercise and have been obese my entire life, with the exception of a few years in my early twenties. I love food and instead of doing something, I eat. Tired and bored with doing nothing but watching TV and eating. My 3 kids are overweight and they need to slim down but they eat the same junk I buy. I have to turn it around for all of us. Please friend me if you have similar needs or can offer encouragement. Thank you.
  • Imgettinskinnier
    Options
    I'm a first hand witness that you can lose weight effectively by adapting a healthy lifestyle of eating and exercise combined together with loyalty and persistence. And the way of eating which I'm talking about, is an approach to organic foods which include vegetables, fruits, and meat (lean chicken and deep cold water fish, and plenty of pure water before, and after meals, and after exercising). One important factor that plays a significant role in weight loss is to do a detox cleansing before starting a weight loss plan and adhere to it for a period of time . An important note, chicken and fish, vegies and fruits, whole grain breads are important. Avoid red meat.

After the cleansing, slowly incorporate red meat in small amounts. The digestive system does a harder time digesting red meat than chicken or fish. Above all, abstaining from foods made with white flour, sweets, sweet drinks, sweet breads and lowering your intake of sodium is important for an effective weight loss. One reason why older people have a problem losing weight is because of a dirty and toxic colon which discourages the body to respond to weight loss. For a successful and effective weight loss a cleanse is important (do a cleansing 4 times a year to maintain a clean colon).

I am 39 going on 40 and my mother is going on 64. I was 215, lost 6 lbs. and now 209 an my mother was 292, lost 13 lbs. and now she is at 279. And we're still losing. My mother's problem was fluid retention. Exercise benefits little if you expect results with bad habits. Both of us are walking together, exercising, eating at our hours (very important), drinking water is a catalyst in weight loss, and sleeping early. We give our digestive system a rest for the night not wanting to deplete the pancreas of it's insulin from over working itself because of late night eating. We didn't expect some miracle overnight but after five days we have seen satisfactory results. However, exercise is a big plus because of what it can do and it does work wonders, but there're other things that must be contributed in order to achieve your desired goal. All it takes is a willingness, desire, and commitment with a tenacious, determination, and persistence attitude. So avoid all the negative comments that dampen and discourage your desire and motivation to reach your weight loss goal and just do it and don't listen to the words of others that will only cause more harm than good and it will make MFP look useless instead of a help tool. Being optimistic and positive really affects the choices you make. May you have a prosperous and happy journey on your weight loss goals and make yourself and everybody proud on my fitness pal.
  • losingitforsure33
    Options
    42 yrs old lost 30 pds in the last 10 weeks. I am brand new to MFP so if you would add me that would be great.
  • polostaber
    polostaber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup.....
  • victoriaalice39
    Options
    39 here, 40 in July.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with Fatdoob that I don't think it's hardER...but it certainly ain't easy to change from inactivity and poor eating habits to movement and eating well. I'm 43..lost 21 so far...another 93 to go :laugh:

I'm on here just about everyday...add me if you wish.

SW: 264
    CW: 243
    GW: 150 (*or* 160-170 if it's muscular/toned...I'll revisit this when I get a lot closer to goal...)
  • pamlajones
    Options
    Hello everyone, I've been trying to lose weight for a very long time. It seems like everyone around me at work is able to lose weight without any problems. I noticed one lady on my job just started shrinking all of a sudden. I asked her what she was doing to lose the weight, she said she just logged her food in the "My Fittness Pal" app on her phone and walked three times a week. Unfortunately, it's not that easy for me. I'm 46 years old, married with 2 children. I'm going to really have to work out hard in order to see results. I've been the same weight for about 2 years now. I work out 3 times a week, and drink plenty of water. I've decided to decrease my portion size and count calories. Maybe I can see some results in a few weeks.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thats the nice thing about the MFP Bandwagon.....LOTS OF PEOPLE PULLING IT :bigsmile: I turn 50 in October and I WILL have 70 lbs gone as my birthday present to myself, another 30 lbs gone as my New Years 2015 present to myself, and another 50 lbs gone as my Summer 2015 present to myself!!!
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    43.....44 in May

5'3"

starting weight - 172lb
    lowest weight - 118lb
    current weight - 130lb....I've put some weight on from lifting.....at least the numbers on the scale have gone up.....trying to lean up a bit....build muscle, lose fat

measurements: 34/26/33