Options

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Bump ;)
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    The body needs water to process calories. If you are even mildly dehydrated, your metabolism may slow down.

Yes I agree we all have one offs. Follow what your Dr says for any conditions you may have.

I agree with the protein suggestion for mistress 8956
  • hlopez_
    hlopez_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Inuit people live in harsh climates where fat is used as protection not as a supplement to their daily diet. Carbohydrates are needed for many metabolic functions. Carbohydrates don't make you fat if that's why you are avoiding them.

Also, you don't NEED carbs in the diet, your body functions fine without them, it's just that it'll negatively effect your work capacity in the gym, and I personally like low-carb diets since I feel more full on them.

Um, actually you do. Your brain and nervous system needs the supply of glucose from the carbs in order to survive. Carbs aren't always in the form of bread and pasta like people think of when they hear the word. They're in fruits and vegetables too.

I wonder how the Inuit people in the Arctic regions of North America lived on a diet consisting of 50-75% fat and 35-40% of protein with virtually no carbohydrates?
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Just because they didn't have carbohydrates didn't mean it was optimal... Cut out all your carbohydrates and tell me how you feel. For the final stretch of my last prep I was on 175 carbs for 3 months working out hard and doing cardio 6 days a week. I felt like a zombie.
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Not just me. I could point you to person after person after person that follows these philosophies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hell yea OP ..I have been saying the same thing for a long time now …

I am sure you will get some people chiming in that they are special snowflakes and have cut out all carbs and lose and bla bla bla …

good post...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Interesting.

I think that this is SOOO frikking generalised ..

People who have pre-diabeties SHOULD cut out carbs and sugar... their body will function better

People who have water retention or heart issues SHOULD cut sodium because it will **** with their blood pressure.

I mean.. sure "dont stress about eating before bed".. but honestly , if i cut out eating earlier then I achieve better results. Additionally, it is common the later at night you eat the more likely it is to be something terrible for you.

Supps = expensive wee... eat nutricious food.

Im sure that your opinions are far more relevant in a performance environment... but honestly...theres a million ways to loose weight.. and whatever works for them to get rid of it and be a healthier person should be done. If someone cuts out fat completely, and looses 100lbs, then im sure their body is functioning better than if they hadnt cut out the fat and lost the weight...

Ummm no…there is one way to lose weight..calorie deficit, period, end of story.

Eating earlier has nothing to do with weight loss. I eat ice cream every night at 10 pm and have about 11% body fat...
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    #6 You don't have to eat every 2-3 hours. It's a myth. I was saying though if you diet for long periods of time and get to low BF% levels like competitors do you are ravenously hungry and can't wait to eat.

Supplements I recommend for everyone is a superior multivitamin and fish oil. If any Dr. tells you not to take them please fire them unless their is some allergic reaction/rare one off.

I would recommend a liquid multivitamin as your body can absorb up to 98% of it vs only 3%-20% in pill form. Moreover, liquid vitamins bypass digestive processing and go directly into the bloodstream within minutes.

I also prefer high quality fish oil products that are mercury free. Those are just my recommendations.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Pretty solid post, OP.
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes these are generalities and aren't addressing people with certain conditions etc. Also people who are severely overweight I do not recommend 1g of protein per pound of body weight. It gets a little trickier. Feel free to follow me or message me if you guys get any questions.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How did the Inuit living 400 years ago survive if carbohydrates are needed for metabolic functions? The had virtually none in their diets for most of the year and maybe a few berries, grasses, and roots in the summer season.

Inuit people live in harsh climates where fat is used as protection not as a supplement to their daily diet. Carbohydrates are needed for many metabolic functions. Carbohydrates don't make you fat if that's why you are avoiding them.

Also, you don't NEED carbs in the diet, your body functions fine without them, it's just that it'll negatively effect your work capacity in the gym, and I personally like low-carb diets since I feel more full on them.

Um, actually you do. Your brain and nervous system needs the supply of glucose from the carbs in order to survive. Carbs aren't always in the form of bread and pasta like people think of when they hear the word. They're in fruits and vegetables too.

I wonder how the Inuit people in the Arctic regions of North America lived on a diet consisting of 50-75% fat and 35-40% of protein with virtually no carbohydrates?
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just because they didn't have carbohydrates didn't mean it was optimal... Cut out all your carbohydrates and tell me how you feel. For the final stretch of my last prep I was on 175 carbs for 3 months working out hard and doing cardio 6 days a week. I felt like a zombie.

You said we need carbs to function properly. The traditional Inuit diet had virtually no carbs and they were functioning pretty well in order to survive in an inhospitable climate. Perhaps if you had a diet of raw seals, whale, walrus, and fish (approx 70% fat, 30% protein) your last prep wouldn't have been as difficult. The Inuits who spent all day hunting were probably working just as hard and they felt fine.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You said we need carbs to function properly. The traditional Inuit diet had virtually no carbs and they were functioning pretty well in order to survive in an inhospitable climate. Perhaps if you had a diet of raw seals, whale, walrus, and fish (approx 70% fat, 30% protein) your last prep wouldn't have been as difficult. The Inuits who spent all day hunting were probably working just as hard and they felt fine.

if that is what I would have to eat to have success at low carb, I will just eat the carbs…
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    I would love to see someone get shredded on 70% fat every day.... Your argument is invalid for weight loss. You are trying to argue that you don't need carbs to function. Please go to a ZERO carb diet and tell me how you feel.

Go ahead and do zero carbs if you want. Like I said this is my advice. Don't follow it if you don't want to. I will get shredded off eating carbs. You can go zero carbs, makes no difference to me.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You do need carbs in your daily diet :) as a Type 2 diabetic, I've learned everything has carbs - so I prefer to get my carbs from vegetables/fruit and milk instead of processed food - I just keep the limit of all carbs around 135 per day
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Bump :o
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    There may be people asking about Weight watchers, Gluten-free or Low Carb around here but I do not really see the pervasiveness of fad diets you mentioned on this forum. These are almost always instantly discredited, with users pointing those asking for help about these diets to the tried and true caloric deficit. Maybe I just don't read enough posts!
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    LOLZ welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump, this is great! Thanks for taking the time..