I want to start jucing

Options
13»

Replies

• corsiva
    corsiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and decided to start juicing. I went out and bought the juicer he used, bought a ton of veg, and got myself started. My juicing lasted two days. Two days of trying to choke down the vile green substance everyone swore was so good. The juicer went back, the veg got eaten, and I've lost 23 pounds without it. If you can handle the taste of green juice, more power to you! But I couldn't.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I juiced for a little while and it was a gigantic pain in my *kitten*. The juicer was expensive, 3/4ths of anything I juiced turned into this "pulp" that I could either jam my juicer with to try to get more juice out, or just throw away. The quantity of food "pulp" I threw away was ridiculous. With juicing, the juice you make basically has no fiber in it, and any fruits I juiced gave me a giant sugar rush (because it went right into my blood stream) and then I crashed.
    I highly recommend you google search "blending vs. juicing" because blending is so much easier. I blend breakfast (sometimes lunch too!) and it allows me to add things to it like nuts or flax seeds which can not go into the juicer. I use all of the product and I'm not throwing anything away. Also, I'm not, for lack of a better word, sh*tting my brains out because I'm getting the fiber as well.
    Blenders are so much easier to clean and I bought the nutribullet when I got serious about blending-- it's amazing and a fraction of the cost of my, now dusty, juicer.
    10/10 would recommend blending instead.
  • daniicaliforniaa93
    Options
    If you want to start juicing just because, I'd say go for it. If you're trying to juice to make it a permanent part of your diet, IE, replacing meals with juice or doing the Dr. Oz 'juice cleanse', don't. Your body is fully equipped to take care of ridding itself of 'toxins' completely by itself and doesn't need Dr. Oz's cooky assistance, I promise. Anywho...if you wanna start juicing just because you want to...right on. Let me give you some advice: don't jump in head-first all gung-ho about it and expect to be drinking, and enjoying, kale-beet root-vegetable juice immediately like a pro...it doesn't work that way. Start off with mainly fruits and throw in a few veggies and gradually work your way up to mostly veggies to allow your taste buds to get used to the 'earthy' taste. Try the Jack Lellane Power Juicer Pro since you're just starting out and aren't sure if you'll like it or not. It's not a wallet breaker, easy to clean and it comes with a booklet of recipes to try out. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have done juice fasts a few times, and I also juice every so often for a meal or snack, especially if I have a bunch of extra veggies laying around. I highly recommend you check out www.rebotowithjoe.com - they have a ton of tips and recipes, and it is a very supportive community. Yes, juicing can be a pain, hard to clean, expensive, etc. But you also get a lot of vitamins, and sometimes it's nice to have a big green juice instead of eating a giant salad. I recommend you start with sweeter juices with just a little bit of veggies (a handful of spinach, one stalk of celery) and work your way up. Green apples, lemons, and grapefruits give you a good amount of juice without a ton of sugar. Most mainstream juicers don't extract a lot of juice from greens and can't juice things like wheatgrass, but it's better to start there than buy a crazy expensive juicer if you are just using it once in awhile.

One thing I wish I'd known early on - celery juice is surprisingly salty, and can ruin a juice if you use too much!

Good luck!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez, I came into this thread thinking "steroids."

My belief is, don't bother juicing, just eat the whole fruit and veggies. There is no need to force feed yourself juice because you think it will cleanse your body. You have a liver and kidneys that can do that.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that might help make your decision. I'd weigh all the options and not just one person's opinion.

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/fat-sick-and-nearly-starving-9-problems-with-juicing/
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have a professional grade juicer. I juice a lot in the summer because I do a lot of trail riding and it's easier to take liquids than fruits and vegetables on the trails. You can save the pulp and add it to meals to add flavor. There are a lot of great recipes out there. In my experience the keys are to find a really good juicer, I don't get a lot of waste with mine and to find some good recipes. It's a personal choice. Don't depend on the juice to be any kind of meal replacement though. You still need to eat food and IMHO probably more than 1200 calories with your activity (just my opinion though). Also, you have to drink the juice within 12 hours or throw it away.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you are adding juicing to your preexisting diet, then I am all for it. It is a great way to pack in nutrients and enzymes. But I would caution against doing a Juice Fast as you do not see any real long term benefit from doing so and it also is known to cause incontinence for a brief period.

However, you should always feel free to make your own decision based on what you feel is right for you.