Replies

• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Good info op:)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I honestly love most of this post! Except for one quick thing...

May I honestly ask why not to focus on sodium at all? I understand if you're hovering around average levels to not worry since your body requires sodium, but I noticed some days you are upwards of 5000+mg for your daily intake. Can that not be harmful in the long run?

All my sources I have been relating to recommend trying to lower sodium intake, especially for women as osteoporosis can be a common side effect among the high blood pressure that's normally mentioned:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/sodium/index-eng.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782060/?report=abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643195/

May I see some sources as to where you know there won't be a harmful impact in the long run?
    I don't track my sodium because when you are limited to certain caloric ranges it generally isn't sky high. Keep in mind I am offering advice for people looking to lose weight in a general fassion. This doesn't talk to people who have certain conditions etc. Yes eating gobs and gobs of sodium has shown some negative side effects. This is where I think you pick your poison. Do you not go outside and be in the sun because it causes higher risk skin cancer etc. etc.

I personally do NOT track sodium until one week leading into my show.

Let's be honest.. Sodium isn't whats making our country obese and riddling us with all these health issues.
    Thanks for clarifying, I totally agree!

All about picking which battles suit you, and to each their own.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    you believe in natural weight loss but take supplements?

Not sure I get your point.

Supplements give the body the nutrients that it is deficient in. One can argue the "I get allllllll my nutrients through the foods I eat!" but I personally don't believe that unless you get your blood tested and can conclusively say yes, I am deficient in XYZ. I get my blood tested twice a year and adjust my vitamins accordingly because although I eat well balanced, healthy, meals I am still deficient in certain vitamins.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I look at the ops pic and the information he post....which I agree with. Then I look at the people who are arguing and their pics, and then their flawed argument.....then I laugh:) Love myfitnesspal.
    Imagine that... people who are different than the OP... have a different experience. Shocking.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I look at the ops pic and the information he post....which I agree with. Then I look at the people who are arguing and their pics, and then their flawed argument.....then I laugh:) Love myfitnesspal.
    Imagine that... people who are different than the OP... have a different experience. Shocking.
    Haha....but are they are different? or were they all a caloric defecit. Not that shocking.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    AGREED! Well said.
  • desgmz
    desgmz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump (reading this at gym tonight) :)
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great Post!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    you believe in natural weight loss but take supplements?

Not sure I get your point.

Supplements give the body the nutrients that it is deficient in. One can argue the "I get allllllll my nutrients through the foods I eat!" but I personally don't believe that unless you get your blood tested and can conclusively say yes, I am deficient in XYZ. I get my blood tested twice a year and adjust my vitamins accordingly because although I eat well balanced, healthy, meals I am still deficient in certain vitamins.

I did not read supplements as vitamins. I read it as supplements. I don't claim to get all my vitamins naturally because I use protein powder and take vitamins. I also have a vitamin D deficiency so i'll have to take that for the rest of my life. That was my point. vitamins are not natural, nor are supplements or protein powders.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Haha....but are they are different? or were they all a caloric deficit. Not that shocking.

I do not want to look like the OP, nor do I find that look attractive. My diet does not follow all his points and it works well for me. I feel like crapola when i eat 200+ carbs, esp if those carbs are derived from bread and/or pasta or foods high in additives. Different strokes for different folks.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There may be people asking about Weight watchers, Gluten-free or Low Carb around here but I do not really see the pervasiveness of fad diets you mentioned on this forum. These are almost always instantly discredited, with users pointing those asking for help about these diets to the tried and true caloric deficit. Maybe I just don't read enough posts!

you have not been here long enough ..stick around and you will see posts about raspberry ketones, diet pills, cleanses, 7 day juice fasts/water fasts, etc….trust me.

No one is talking about that. I don't know why people are such close minded on here sometimes. Keto is a legitimate LIFESTYLE choice. It takes a ****load of commitment to do, far more than what the OP is advocating in his "balanced" approach.

Yes, you do go though a flu period of about 3-5 days where you don't feel good. I went thought it myself. But once you get out, you feel amazing. Your body is switching into ketosis and using fat instead of carbs. Generally people see too much weightloss initially since first you will dump water, then burn fat stored in organs (et al the liver). Part of the success is integrating exercise in. I run on keto and do lifting and I feel just fine. I drink my protein shake, eat lots of bacon, and keto on.

This is a diet used in many medical circumstances from diabetics to cancer to epilepsy. If you don't believe me, look it up. But stop spreading misinformation.

You seem to think everyone will have the same experience with keto as you did... That seems pretty closed minded to me.
    Glad you can eat tons of bacon though. Red meat and pork both make me incredibly ill.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I like the original post, but this comment isn't really needed...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The assumption being we should want to look as he does? Or relate to food as he does? Sorry, not me. I have no issue with the OP, other than it sounding a bit preachy and single minded. But why assume we share his goals? Perhaps you do, but many don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    With the exception of number #11, the rest is pretty solid advice.

But OP, please don't start trying to endorse products on here. Not only is it against the rules, but companies that work in MLM form are highly rejected by the community in large.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There may be people asking about Weight watchers, Gluten-free or Low Carb around here but I do not really see the pervasiveness of fad diets you mentioned on this forum. These are almost always instantly discredited, with users pointing those asking for help about these diets to the tried and true caloric deficit. Maybe I just don't read enough posts!

you have not been here long enough ..stick around and you will see posts about raspberry ketones, diet pills, cleanses, 7 day juice fasts/water fasts, etc….trust me.

No one is talking about that. I don't know why people are such close minded on here sometimes. Keto is a legitimate LIFESTYLE choice. It takes a ****load of commitment to do, far more than what the OP is advocating in his "balanced" approach.

Yes, you do go though a flu period of about 3-5 days where you don't feel good. I went thought it myself. But once you get out, you feel amazing. Your body is switching into ketosis and using fat instead of carbs. Generally people see too much weightloss initially since first you will dump water, then burn fat stored in organs (et al the liver). Part of the success is integrating exercise in. I run on keto and do lifting and I feel just fine. I drink my protein shake, eat lots of bacon, and keto on.

This is a diet used in many medical circumstances from diabetics to cancer to epilepsy. If you don't believe me, look it up. But stop spreading misinformation.

I never said anything about keto ....I was talking about water fasts, juice fasts, raspberry ketones, etc...

Way to go overboard though ..

All I have to say about keto is that it is not some magical fat burning solution. I am happy it works for you, but what you have really done is just create a calorie deficit...
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bimp
  • JoshuaElement
    Options
    lol - Apparently everyone in here has a Bachelors in Health Science and Nutrition & Dietetics.

So many know-it-all's who know everything about nothing.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    Natural meaning I don't take steroids or banned substances.
    you believe in natural weight loss but take supplements? :indifferent:

My goal is 160 protein per day and 120 carbs. The days I feel the BEST is when i eat more protein then that and under 100 carbs, but do not freak out if I am over on carbs. Store bread makes me lethargic/tired and makes me feel really stuffed and heavy. Homemade bread varies depending on the recipe.

naturally low sugar foods seems to help me the best.

I do take a bunch of vitamins. I am Vitamin D deficient and as a result am deficient in other vitamins. I hope to get back to taking just vitamin D. I also want to replace the protein powder but I find it hard to reach my macors without it most days.

My food choices are pretty automatic now. I can pretty much throw together a days worth of food without pre-logging and come very close to my goals. Eating it all is sometimes still a challenge however, since protein makes me feel full longer.
  • KyaniBody
    Options
    For any doubters and anyone just thinking people are genetically gifted etc.... I can message before and after pictures tonight. I will show you me at 230 pounds when I wasn't weight training and only focusing on my career.

It frustrates me that people argue just to argue. Ever think that this might be the reason you aren't achieving your goals? Stop looking for excuses and get going. I know it sounds harsh but we all need to hold ourselves accountable. Our success and failures are our own.

I will message them to any doubters. Just send me a message asking for them. You will be shocked how different one looks.