Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
    It isn't even whipped cream. it's partially hydrogenated oil. It's basically a big old tub of trans fats.

If you happen to prefer this particular dessert to ice cream, eat away. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's healthier or even that it's fewer calories than a serving of ice cream.

I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in about three months eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone (sugar cone, of course) every Friday.

Close but not quite. Cool whip is made with fully hydrogenated oil, not partially hydrogenated oil.

Fully hydrogenating an oil creates a saturated fat. Trans fats are unsaturated. Fully hydrogenated oil is not trans fat.

Cool Whip has no trans fat. It's saturated fat. But, yeah, it's certainly no better than ice cream.

^^^ This
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Goodness gracious, can we all try to supportive in that she is at least being creative and sharing with others? If it works for her - great. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. Let's try and be kind and positive....

so we can't debate the fact that you can just eat ice cream, be in a deficit, and still lose weight?

The point is you do not need an ice cream substitute to eat healthy.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think the poor OP went running from this thread....lol

-welcome to the forums. :wink: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip is made for fruit salad and for pie topping for people who don't have a stand mixer and are too lazy to whip cream themselves.
    There's a thing called canned whipped cream that is actually whipped cream, though. Cool Whip is for pepole who don't want to eat real whipped cream.

When I was a kid, neither my family nor my parents' best friends had even hand mixers, so we used to sit around the kitchen with a container full of heavy cream, sugar and vanilla and take turns shaking it until it was whipped cream. Ah, the memories ... lol

Anyway, something I used to like (but don't eat gelatin anymore, so ...) is fat free Cool Whip mixed with Jell-O. It was pretty darn good. And if you can stomach the taste of sugar-free Jell-O, practically 0 calories.

Yeah, but whipped cream is for pies. Cool Whip is for salads. Don't ask me why. And I do NOT care for Jell-O at all.

I do have a stand mixer. (because my husband loves me so much, lol) I whip heavy cream for pie topping, but if i am making fruit salad, it is probably to take to a get together, and Cool Whip is less expensive if you are going to make a big batch. (Yes, I'm a tightwad)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip is made for fruit salad and for pie topping for people who don't have a stand mixer and are too lazy to whip cream themselves.
    There's a thing called canned whipped cream that is actually whipped cream, though. Cool Whip is for pepole who don't want to eat real whipped cream.

When I was a kid, neither my family nor my parents' best friends had even hand mixers, so we used to sit around the kitchen with a container full of heavy cream, sugar and vanilla and take turns shaking it until it was whipped cream. Ah, the memories ... lol

Anyway, something I used to like (but don't eat gelatin anymore, so ...) is fat free Cool Whip mixed with Jell-O. It was pretty darn good. And if you can stomach the taste of sugar-free Jell-O, practically 0 calories.

Yeah, but whipped cream is for pies. Cool Whip is for salads. Don't ask me why. And I do NOT care for Jell-O at all.

I do have a stand mixer. (because my husband loves me so much, lol) I whip heavy cream for pie topping, but if i am making fruit salad, it is probably to take to a get together, and Cool Whip is less expensive if you are going to make a big batch. (Yes, I'm a tightwad)
    Ah. That makes sense.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little more to enhance my culinary reputation. :-) But whipped cream isn't as stable in a fruit salad, so I probably just wouldn't make one to take somewhere else. One of my favorite things is bananas and strawberries cut up and mixed with some sugar and whipped cream, though. YUM!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Goodness gracious, can we all try to supportive in that she is at least being creative and sharing with others? If it works for her - great. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. Let's try and be kind and positive....

Are you suggesting that people aren't supposed to have different opinions? Welcome to the internet!

welcome-to-the-internet-ill-be-your-guide-thumb.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yeah, Redi-Whip is actual cream.

My husband likes that stuff, but it always turned to liquid. :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Ah. That makes sense.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little more to enhance my culinary reputation. :-) But whipped cream isn't as stable in a fruit salad, so I probably just wouldn't make one to take somewhere else. One of my favorite things is bananas and strawberries cut up and mixed with some sugar and whipped cream, though. YUM!

My reputation at parties has nothing to do with the food I bring. :wink: :laugh:

:smokin:

ETA: Gotta add that I have done the banana/strawberry/whipped cream thing. Yum!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My reputation at parties has nothing to do with the food I bring. :wink: :laugh:

;-)

I'm Italian on my mom's side and my dad's family is Jewish. It's ALL about the food!
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Speaking of ice cream recipes, my favorite is this one:

- Scoop Breyer's coffee ice cream into bowl until desired quantity is obtained. (I use a digital kitchen scale.)

- Consume with a spoon.

It's delicious...and at only 130 calories per serving, can be a part of nearly any reasonable daily calorie limit.

breyer20coffee20half20g.gif

Thank you for posting, i will have to give this a try. Just a couple questions...
    Can I sub for another flavor?
    May I use a fork to consume?
    If I eyeball the entire tub as 1/2ish cups, will that change the caloric value?

You can, but results may not be as awesome. Breyer's has recently introduced "frozen dairy desserts" that just aren't, well, ice cream.

Yes, you may use a fork, but you'll find a difficult problem if you eat it too slowly.

The entire tub is 6 cups or 12 servings. I may or may not have entries like this in my food diary.

Yeah, those are not real...i prefer my dairy goodness chock full of other fattening crap (ie girl scout cookies).

No worries with the slow consumption. The only risk i run is passing out from lack of inhalation.

Thank you for the information. I will be sure to make these notes into my recipe book under: "Breyer's ice cream."
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mho6sw6GaS1r3d8abo1_500_large.gif

LIEUTENANT DAAN! FLAVORED STEVIA OVER ICE CHIPS!

Also like.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I will be sure to make these notes into my recipe book under: "Breyer's ice cream."

You're welcome.

Spreading the good news of Breyer's ice cream is what I do.

I change lives...for the better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    talenti raspberry chocolate chip is the bomb! and only 210 calories per serving..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Flavored stevia over ice chips.:smooched:

I think my sarcasm/joke meter might be broken. Are you being serious right now?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

;-)

I'm Italian on my mom's side and my dad's family is Jewish. It's ALL about the food!

I do well with pies and cookies, and casseroles. :bigsmile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    That word "healthy". You keep saying it, I don't think you know what it means.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    LOL
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I try low calorie ice creams or if you like try frozen yogurt which is usually a much lower calorie option!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Oh my god! This is the funniest thread EVER!

I'm so glad I clicked on it!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Why do we need an alternative for ice cream?
    Ditto the above. I simply eat single serve containers - my portion control is there and I get "all of it"...which seems to be something my personality likes..lol.