How to handle uninvited diet advice?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would not even dignify them with a response. I would laugh and walk away. :ohwell:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for your advice, you've given me something to think about"

and move on immediately.
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "oh, yeah? Well what I'm doing is working for me, but I'll keep that in mind." That way you're not being totally rude, but it gets the point across you're not really interested. Unfortunately weight loss comes with all the people that believe they're an expert from reading things on the internet and info they've "heard" from other people. The truth is that regardless, just keep doing what works for you and remember a few annoying people will be there, but it's not worth getting annoyed about.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod... smile and nod...

That.

Or fart in their general direction.

Crop dusting is the best advice ever to deal with those people!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sometimes when people give me advice like that, i put it in the back of my mind to revisit later. i'll say "thanks, i'll look into it."

something like this, might bear looking at. what exactly is B12? what benefits does it have? i don't know enough about it to immediately dismiss it, so why should i assume it's all broscience and mumbo jumbo?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just had someone at work tell me that they've noticed I've been using the treadmill during my lunches and that I really need to make sure I'm taking B12 supplements otherwise I won't have the metabolism I need to lose weight.

I hate it when those people who are naturally skinny tell me how to lose weight. It's not like they're a nutritionist or anything.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    sometimes when people give me advice like that, i put it in the back of my mind to revisit later. i'll say "thanks, i'll look into it."

something like this, might bear looking at. what exactly is B12? what benefits does it have? i don't know enough about it to immediately dismiss it, so why should i assume it's all broscience and mumbo jumbo?

B12 supplementation is extremely useful FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE B12 DEFICIENT.

Everyone else just pees it out. I supplement it because 20 years of being a vegetarian has made me deficient.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    "I will give that all due consideration." While knowing that the amount of consideration it's due is ZERO.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was told once by someone that eating raw veggies on a daily basis was bad for me.... as they sat across the table from me at lunch eating fried chicken and fries for the 4th day in a row. I just smiled. That is all you can do. So many people know so much (chuckle) but only you know what is best for you so do not worry about it. Sometimes I think people just comment like that because they either feel bad about what they are doing or maybe want to try to have something in common with you (thinking if they talk about health and nutrition it will show that they know something about it). It's annoying at times, especially when you want to be left alone about it, but do not worry.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I would not even dignify them with a response. I would laugh and walk away. :ohwell:

It's impossible to walk away when you're on a treadmill
  • Kiwi94544
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else says. There are always those people who want to give input, even if it's unsolicited. I genuinely think most of the time, they are trying to be helpful... but there are always those few who tend to come off as know-it-all people who seem to get off a bit on feeling like they have endless knowledge to share & feel like it's their mission to educate the ignorants.... lol. It can get a little tiresome having to act interested in their input, especially when you're not looking not asking for their insight...

But like everyone else said, you just have to shrug it off. The road to weight loss can be a funny path sometimes....
    You have those who are very supportive about it...
    You have others who are competitive ("How much weight did you lose? 3 lbs - oh, I lost 4!" - "How many calories did YOU eat yesterday? 1,500? Oh wow - I NEVER go over 1300!" etc.... you know what I'm talking about. The ones who are always asking you about what you're doing, then trying to "one-up" you regardless of what you say, lol)
    You have the know-it-alls
    And then you have the haters, lol

I think in general, most people who see you making positive changes are supportive. The few that aren't are just misguided or perhaps a little envious that you have the willpower to do what they cannot - or will not.

In any event, it all boils down to you - and how you take things.
    Do what you need to do for you, and heed the advice you seek out from people you trust.
    To everyone else - and the comments they make - just smile, nod, and then carry on with your day & do what you know is best for YOU.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My reply is usually, "Thanks, but I found what works for me." At first.

Then if they keep pushing I say something like: "Well, I lost 25 lbs doing what I am doing so I don't need or want your help." I get kind of pissy if people don't get the clue the first time lol.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

B12 supplementation is extremely useful FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE B12 DEFICIENT.

Everyone else just pees it out. I supplement it because 20 years of being a vegetarian has made me deficient.

yup, i'm reading about it now.

most people are able to get enough B12 from their food, like fish, meat, poultry, and some breakfast cereals that are fortified with the vitamin.

about 1.5% to 15% of people are B12 deficient.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-QuickFacts/
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I usually give them the ol...

166.gif
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. I wouldn't stress, seriously. I've had my Mum tell me I'm going to die of cancer. Okay Mum! Thanks! C:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

It's impossible to walk away when you're on a treadmill

OP wasn't on a treadmill, OP was using the treadmills during lunch. I am assuming the interaction happened afterwards.
    Otherwise it would look like this

post-19944-iminuscom-JE39.gif
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Just say "thank you for your concern" and move on.

Alternatively, based on the advice, you can say "thank your for your advice" and "thank you for your opinion"
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I smile and nod and move along.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Id ask if that's what their nutritionist told them to do? Or did they have to have blood work done to find out if they needed it or how did they come that conclusion. And when they say they read it...id say...hmm interesting.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just smile and nod and then completely ignore what they said. I got this alot during my weight loss process, funny thing was all the so-called advice I got was from people that obviously needed to lose weight and yet I've lost weight (not following their asinine advice) and they're still overweight. What's up with that?