WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    I honestly don't know how I went from here into that thread. I just started noticed the drama and negativity and said to myself "something's not right here". Next thing I knew, there I was!

Far be it from me to turn down a dollar but I'm pretty sure if my husband offered me cold hard cash to lose weight I'd lose the back of my hand upside his fat head. Guess it's a good thing I'm not married.

Boy's at school, picked up some groceries, need to get to work before the day ticks away.

p.s. It must be me because I went to click on "reply" and accidentally hit "report post". Don't worry, I backed right out :embarassed:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    well it took me about 75 minutes but I shoveled both driveways and the deck,and the patio and made paths for the dog. having some christmas tea and going into work for 10;30 , only 8 patients today so I have to keep busy..
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie - The recipe for the Big Mac casserole is in a thread in the recipe forum. Basically, it's 1 1/2 lbs hamburger browned with 1 large onion (chopped fine), spread into a 9 x 13 casserole dish, covered with 2% cheese slices, then covered with 1 can of reduced fat crescent rolls. Bake at 375 fir 17 minutes or until browned. Cut into 8 pieces and serve over a bed of shredded lettuce with chopped dill pickles and 1000 Island dressing. Comes out to about 320 calories, depending on how many pickles, how much dressing, and how, much lettuce. I think it's pretty good! Certainly a refreshing way to eat a plate of lettuce.

Dee Dee, I live in Burlington and we pretty much got a good dusting of snow. However, with the temps below freezing and the roads already wet, it's pretty icy in places.

I'm not sure I will get ANY work done today. My daughter called a 3 a.m.sobbing from pain and we just got back from the emergency room. (Got a first hand look at the ice!) I texted to tell job #1 that I wouldn't be there and, if I don't get some sleep, I don't know that I will make it to job #2. I definitely don't need to be working on something as detailed (and important) as W-2s with this little rest. I'm afraid I will end up doing it on Friday afternoon instead of having my usual few hours to myself. :ohwell:

On the bright side, I paced the exam room for over 6,000 steps so I'm well on my way to 10,000. My daughter is drugged with Valium for her diagnosed muscle sprain/spasms and her father is taking her to get the prescribed massage this afternoon. Now, I'm going to try to nap and potentially function this afternoon.

I'll try to read again later and see what I missed responding to...

Carol in sunny but cold NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Regarding the husband who pays his wife to lose weight...my husband does that, but he pays me with compliments and encouragement. And he says had is proud of me. Money I would just spend, but those compliments are more precious to me than gold, and I'll keep them forever. Gosh, this man is wonderful. I didn't read that other thread, but maybe her husband can't do that for some reason, and that is his way of encouraging her. Or, maybe he really is just creepy.

Last night I went to my painting party and it was wonderful fun! On the way I stopped at Hobby Lobby and ran into a lady I have not seen in about a year. She didn't recognize me at first, and then kept gushing about how great I look. She made me turn around so she could get a good look. That was really fun.

Today I'm going to lunch with my son and his wife. Although she moved out they are still in contact and trying to work it out. In fact, he takes his kids to her place for "family dinner" on Sundays. So I hope they can work it out eventually.

Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    We can do this,one day at a time.
    Have a good one.
    hugs
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lots of wind (40mph) and snow and cold
    windchill in the minus, temp in the teens last night. DD drove back to college yesterday; managed to encounter very little snow from this latest "clipper"........I tracked her and kept her updated on where the snow showers were on radar on her trip back there; she made it in before the storm got really going. Have fed my birds twice so far; forgot to buy suet cakes so just gave them a huge dollop of peanut butter on top of the seed, peanuts, and chopped apple and grapes........they seem to like it; or maybe, they are just starving. DH was sched. for a minor surgical procedure this am but dr. cancelled...........he's going in to work for noon since he was already signed off this am.

My firend Linda (the woman who had the stroke) died Monday am; she had gone over a month w/o nourishment..........waiting for details on the memorial.

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes on my DD getting into vet school. She'll know sometime in Feb. I have all my fingers and toes crossed. It is almost impossible; not every state even has a vet school.......they had 1200 applications, interviewed 300 and will choose 120. This is something she has wanted forever and has worked very hard for; she has no alternative plan which worries me.......I must stay positive though.

Heather.........let me echo everyone else's praise for the new pic; you look fabulous, those upper arms are super! Congrats also to your son for his second award.........absolutely fantastic!!! Glad your knee seems better, too.

Marnie........I had a friend from exercise class who was put on Lyrica for neuropathic pain
    she was almost comatose and very confused, could hardly get any words out one day when I drove her to a dr. appt
    very alarming..........they tried another drug with the same result and finally gave her medicated patches for the bottom of her feet which helped w/o making her so confused.

janehadji........Very happy belated birthdat!!! Your cake plan was brilliant. Hope you got to your museum and enjoyed it.

Margaret............I want to see American Hustle..............I did see August in Osage County yesterday; found it to be a very "layered" film.

Joyce.........Also love Vera Wang; didn't know about Kohl's cash being OK if expired; hate to think of how much I've thrown away!!! You had me in stitches between the mid-rise panties and the dentist; thanks, I needed to laugh!!!

Anamika.........nice to see you!!!

Meg.......Lowest ever???????? Wonderful!!! Very well done!!! Hope DD is feeling better.

Gloria............Yeah, I remember those "stay on task" talks with DD.........all to many, all to often.......but, you will get through to him.

Sandy.........22 years, yes, I can see why you are feeling as you are
    chin up, YOU can do this!!!

Tina............feel better!

Out of time once again, heading down to my neighbor whose mom died last week for a talk, haven't seen her since the memorial on Sunday.

Hello to everyone else!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlanic
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all,

Welcome newcomers.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Meg thanks for asking about the book I just read Digestive Wellness. What I took from the book is many not all illnesses start in our gut. I learned I need to slow down and chew my food better. Improving my diet will improve my gut to some degree. She does offer some self-tests to pin point some problems you may be experiencing. Some of her suggestions I would be more comfortable doing in tandem with my doctor. I am now reading What Are You Hungry For?

Joyce sounds like you and husband have your share or health challenges. Prayers.:flowerforyou:

Vickie we hear your struggle. Been there.:flowerforyou:

Jane Co good plan with the cupcakes.

Heather chuckle. When I met my DH he had a beard. He loved it that people thought he looked so young when he shaved it off. He has not had one since.:laugh:

Anamika sweets are hard for me too. Dark chocolate and dates seem to help me with the craving and strangely enough a good quality fish oil.

Michele insurance mess. One can only take a deep breath.:flowerforyou:

Barbie I agree with you about getting the most from you diet. My goal for next month is eating what is best for me not the food companies. Congrats on the Seahawks.:happy:

Rita thinking of you.:flowerforyou

Heather I get chiropractic massages. This has helped me with my knee and feet issues. It has helped me to understand many of the problems I have are muscle issues. She has given me exercises and ideas to help me in-between visits. I am happy for you inspiring a student. What an honor.:flowerforyou:

Tina well wishes.:flowerforyou:

Deedee what a fun day! Drinking my water.:drinker:

Linda here for you!:flowerforyou: A true friend walks in when others walk out.

Gmom316 I agree about some of those other posts out there. You can report it if you care to. I read the rules to MFP and they discourage those kinds of posts. If they are not reported they cannot do anything about it. They do say not to take matters into your own hands. Not always an easy thing for me to do. The teacher in me wants to come out.

Liz stay warm!

Carol hope things are getting better. You had a more than your share.:flowerforyou:

Alison hope they keep Jeff away from your brother. I agree his presence hurts more than helps.

Sylvia what a wonderful DH.

Goals
    Communicate/contentment
    Limit TV/computer not easy with all I want to catch up with here,
    Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Ladies:flowerforyou:

Carol- it won't be long and you will be wearing those pants that are too tight. Your daughter is so fortunate to have you there for her and what a way to burn up those steps. Hoping you get some sleep today.

Joyce- so sorry to hear about your husbands results of the shaking, but glad to know you have a diiagnosis. Glad to see that you have a sense of humor, will keep both of you in my prayers.

Meg- Great NSV on getting that leg up and those socks on.

Sue- glad you had the endoscopy and now know what you are dealing with will keep you in my prayers.

Sandy- haven't seen your brother for 22 years I would say when you see him ask how he is and I'm sure your conversation will take off. I know it is years between when my husband sees his siblings and the phone calls are usually when something serious is happening but they always just pick off from where they left off.

Sylvia- how fun to see someone that hasn't seen the transformation and to fill you will compliments...great incentive to keep going.

I know I missed a whole page but I must get to work before I have to leave for the chiro office. That's a whole another story about a pinched nerve and the pain I was in for months. Thank goodness the therapy is working.

I'm still working on getting back to making this habit again. I forgot to log the last of my water last ngiht and didn't close out my food diary until this morning. Hoping I remember to do it tonight. I make lasagna and put it in the crock pot for dinner, brought it to work with me because it only needs 4-5 hrs on low but dinner will be almost done when I get home.

Already did my time on the bike, it sure makes it hard to get up but so much easier to finish the day when I've already gotten it done. it will be harder to do in a few weeks when hubbys schedule changes and he gets to sleep until 6 and I will have to force myself up at 5:15 alone.

Everyone have a great day. Let's keep on moving and drinking our water:drinker:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think it would be the attitude a man 'pays' his wife to lose wife. If it's a woman who is having a lot of problems with motivation, and husband says it in a loving way it could work. But if he says Gracie, you are gaining weight. I'll pay you $1/lb then I think she is doing it for the wrong reason. I think a loving and supportive husband could find a way of helping her along the way.

Didn't sleep well last night, a lot on my mind. Plus my chin really itches and the chin and cheeks are red. I'm not sure if they are swollen or not. I tried a new make up the other day and I wonder if it has anything to do with it. But my c-Pap mask really bothered it. I tried undoing the chin strap but if I was on my back it was OK. But I'm a side sleeper so even though the chin strap wasn't tight, I was still laying on it. So I tried something new. I took the mask completely off. Now my fit bit log shows I slept pretty good but I really don't believe that sleep log. From what I hear, it goes by how active you are, not heart or respiration rate. So I think I will be heading back to bed.

My weight again this week is the same but my blood sugar was closer to 100. Last week was 118 today 114. So only good thing of todays stats.

Going to turn the golf channel off and go back to bed now. Thanks all for all your thoughts and prayers about my husband. Yes, in the future it will be challenging with my MS. We may have to get that stair lift sooner than we thought. Was hoping we never would need it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!

I just can’t seem to get the time to catch up on posts. Every time I get on here there are pages and pages and I just give up.:angry:

We are having the worst winter in years. Yesterday we had our third big snowstorm which is compounded by the fact that the temperature is so cold it is not going to go away anytime soon. Driving was treacherous at best yesterday. It took me two hours to get home (normally a 30 minute drive in rush hour traffic). :grumble: It took me one hard hour to clear our driveway, and the wind was so strong, it just all drifted back again. :ohwell: Roads were better this morning, but the bitter cold has side streets icy and dangerous. My poor pup couldn’t find a place to poop this morning, and I think the cold was bothering him because he rushed back into the garage and laid down to get the snow out of his paws. I hope things improve soon. The wind is so strong that he jumped every time the wind blew the snow around. I feel so bad for him.:frown: We might need to clear a little grass spot (if that’s possible) so he can have someplace to sniff.

We are leaving for vacation on Sunday (couldn’t we have chosen this week instead?). I can’t wait to get to warmer climates. We are spending a week in the San Diego, CA area and one week in Cabo San Lucas (we’ll be there for our 5th wedding anniversary). :glasses: Hubby hurt his knee a week ago on the job and it has swelled up and is painful. They sent him home from work today and he has to see a doctor tomorrow. This is going to put a damper on our vacation as walking might be a problem. Oh well. I can’t complain. I’ve been blessed to find this wonderful man so late in my life and I’m happy just to be able to spend time together.:heart:

My eating has been inconsistent at best. One day I’m WAY over calories, and the next I might be under by a little. :mad:

After shoveling yesterday, I woke up in pain (I’m getting too old for this stuff), so skipped my exercise again this morning. :embarassed:

This reinforces my plan to move south when we retire. I really HATE the winter! :mad:

Sorry to rant……now I’m going to try and read a little to get some positive thoughts. I need an attitude adjustment! :devil:

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (60%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Yep and loving it!/Nope and hating it!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Working on it!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :heart:
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    Nice to be back even if for a short while. Am feeling bad about my lack of control over my food intake....... too many sweets. I think I'll not have them and the next moment I find I cant stop.....
    Cooking cleaning eating working chatting......... making memories.
    Knowing I'm accountable to not only myself but all of you here should shake me into action. Yoga tomorrow. will walk inside the house as I do on rainy days :blushing:
    Congrats to all celebrating
    Anamika
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie, I have a friend whose daughter is now going to vet school in the carribean. Not sure where, but it is supposed to be a really good school. It was her Plan B, after she wasnt accepted here. And she is really enjoying it there, too. You might have your daughter look into that.

Sylvia
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Making my mark here before too many days pass me by. Although I have scrolled through the posts since my last post my memory only holds so much. :laugh:

Jane, a belated happy birthday wish for you and the year ahead of you. I think I sent you a wish on Facebook.

Joyce, your DH's diagnosis does represent a challenge only now you both know what it is and can begin the process of learning to live with it. Prayers going up for you.

Margaret, I need to read that book on Digestive Wellness as I am dealing with 2 issues of my own. I've about read all that I can find on WebMD and am cautious on other online sources.

As we head into the last part of January I can say I have already met my goals for the month. The only 2 I had were to get healthy as I was suffering from a severe cold and lose weight which I met both. It is so nice to be breathing normal again. Head colds are the pits but I have a family doctor who doesn't spare the scripts and am feeling so much better and a little lighter. :bigsmile:

February I need to set some of those SMART goals so I can keep on track. One goal I know I will set is to not eat after a certain time. I have already been doing this in January and it does help.

Barbie, to eat or not eat exercise calories seem to pop up periodically. To me it's really a matter of personal choice. I know that the calories burned on MFP exercises tend to be much higher here than they are in the gym. If one exercises so much that they feel famished they should eat within reason. What's reasonable is the real question.

Well, gotta run. I'm having a new windshield put in my car this afternoon and I need to go the meat market before he gets here.

May the abundance of God's grace flow in your lives today and always,

Plano Teral
    60's today; windchill 17 tomorrow...brrrr!
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bumping to hold place - have a great day, all!!

Jill in western MA
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not much new here today in sunny Denver! It was 62 yesterday, but I hear that we have snow coming in. I've been just amazed by the repeatedly bad weather in the Northeast -- I hope that all of you living there are keeping warm and not needing to fly anywhere. What a disaster for those traveling! We didn't get to the museum yesterday, but did have a nice dinner out with our son, so that made me happy.

Meg – Fantastic news about the new low weight! Keep crossing those legs!!

DeeDee – I’ve always wanted those “light-up” shoes, too! They had them when my kids were little and I kept asking for my size, with no luck at all.

Lucy – Your upcoming trip sounds like a lot of fun! If you want to try Persian food, go to Bandar in downtown San Diego and order the beef soltani (large enough for two to share).

Jane in Colorado
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Trying hard to keep up with the reading. I'm sure having a lazy day today. Still sitting here in my nightgown. But this is the last thing I do at putter for now. Have a few dishes to get out of the way. Going to make a healthy pot of soup. And want to see how far I can manage on the bike.

Kaytla
    I need to push the exercise and work on losing weight. The doctor was nice and didn't talk about my weight. But don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that I'm over weight.

So to all of you have a great day.
    Together we can

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,255 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update.
    I've booked my flights to NYC, despite my nerves. Going out 30th Sept and coming back 5th Oct. 5 nights. So glad I've done it and it was really cheap. Just over £500 return each, Heathrow to JFK.
    Didn't make the cupcakes as DH was full from lunch, but did email my ex student, so the important things got done. I read a book on Relaxation. Feel very relaxed now!:laugh:

Love to all :heart:
    Heather in UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: glad you’re feeling better.

Viv: I’m with you re rather having rain than frost.

Heather: I’m with you on the incompatibility of bad knees and cities.

Tina: Hope you feel better soon.

DeeDee: My niece is 7 and she’s a handful, but fun as well.

Linda: Hope the echo will mean good news.

Yanniejannie: I used to put pine cones filled with peanut butter out. The birds loved it.

Joyce: Good job on the blood sugar. Is it a downward trend?

Lucy: If your pup gets painful snow/ice balls between the toes, you could try socks. There are special ones for dogs, but baby socks might work. Vaseline helps too, though you’d have to wipe it off before he goes back in the house. Make sure he doesn’t lick his feet if they’ve put salt on the roads (but it does have to be removed from the feet).

Linda (Ontario): The older I get, the more I like soup! Current favorite is pumpkin with onion and curry spices.

Not much to say here. It's raining. I may wear my new smaller jeans to work tomorrow. :bigsmile:

Cynthia
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!! Well I talked with my mom last evening and the doctors want dad to go to Kearney next Wednesday and have his heart checked and see what they can do. Said they sent him home in Oct to die and since he hasn't they want to see what is going on. So today I made arrangements to be off work so can be there. Not sure what to think at this point as everything the doctors told us would happen has not. God has his own plans.

Joyce--Sounds like a really good doctor. I know this new one I am going to really went over alot with me the first time. Years ago I was told you should change doctors every 7-10 years as they get used to you and maybe not do the best. I know I do not like changing but since mine moved last year I had no choice and so far I really like the new one. I do think they are getting alot younger. I agree you need to talk to the daughters and have their support.

Meg--Congrates on the loss!! I understand about the cross the legs. I can now sit with one leg over the other. I have never been able to do that. I do find myself doing it alot. Sometimes my back isn't happy about it. But it makes me happy, so I understand you being excited about it.

Sandy--Sounds like you are doing great with the trainner. Could your daughter book her time the same time as you so she is not alone? Don't let this with your brother get you stressed out. Only do it if you are comfortable. I have a brother that lives here in town and in the last 10 years I have only seen him maybe twice. He only calls me with he is drunk. I thought we were close growing up and not sure what happened. I wear a pedometer and I am lucky to get 5000 steps a day. But am working on it.

Michelle--Thanks !!

DH took the furbabies in this morning for baths, nail clipping and shave for Toby the teacup poodle. They will feel so much better and hoping it will help with the shedding Jake does.

Tina--Sure hope you are feeling better. Take care of yourself.

Sylvia-- Great NSV!! Glad that DS and family are trying and doing family dinner once a week is a good start.

Janiejannie--Sorry about your friend Linda, Hugs!

Margaret--I like that (eating what is good for me, not the food company) something worth thinking about.

Lucy--Happy 5th!! Your trip sounds wounderful. This cold and wind is doing me in. I do not like the hot, but can't there be several months of in between???

Hope you all have a grand evening and stay warm. I am off tomorrow and we are planning on going to Lincolin and exchange our camera again. I keep thinking we will get a good one soon and since we have no Targert in GI have to go to Kearney or Lincolin. Then going to Beatrice to DD's and have Christmas with her and the kids. I will get to see one of the ex-wives as she lives with DD. Smile!!! But will be glad to get it done and over.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies -

I've been MIA for the past few months from this message board and from MFP. Over the last 2 weeks I have gotten myself back into the habit of logging my food. I've done well on the fitness front as I've managed to hit my 14,000 step goals every day this year and have added weight training to my routine 2x a week. Just need to get my eating/portion control in line as the scale has started to creep up and the pants are getting snug.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone and meeting all the new folks that have joined since I dropped off.

Lucy gave a good account of the Delaware weather, so nothing new to add on that front.

Be well, and stay warm and dry.
    Suzy