Squatting and deadlifting

Options

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Do you do any work on the posterior (rear) head of the deltoid?

Cutting out chest does not sound like an intelligent idea, it will just start to lag behind other muscles. Besides, from what you say it sounds like it's your deltoid that is the problem. Just keep chest to once a week and then work your back two to three times a week. Make sure to hit your rear delts at least twice a week, it might help pull your shoulders back into place.

I do lots of rowing, face pulls, reverse flies, and all of the usual shoulder exercises. It doesn't seem to be helping much so far, but my posture is a mess so I know it'll take a while to fix.
    I've heard that working my chest will tighten my chest muscles and pull my shoulders forward more. I think it was overworking my chest and not working my back enough that was one of the main things which created the problem in the first place.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    5 days a week means your going to do the same lift consecutive days.

Not recommended.

On the other hand rules are made to be broken. I've done the same lift on consecutive days for something different/trying to break plateaus.

I wouldn't do it for more then a month at a time, if you do do it.

also doesn't seem to be a good idea if you have a history of injury
  • stt43
    Options
    Don't professional athletes do the same exercises pretty much every day though?
    I know I'm not a professional athlete, but presumably they weren't either when they started.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Do you do any work on the posterior (rear) head of the deltoid?

Cutting out chest does not sound like an intelligent idea, it will just start to lag behind other muscles. Besides, from what you say it sounds like it's your deltoid that is the problem. Just keep chest to once a week and then work your back two to three times a week. Make sure to hit your rear delts at least twice a week, it might help pull your shoulders back into place.

I do lots of rowing, face pulls, reverse flies, and all of the usual shoulder exercises. It doesn't seem to be helping much so far, but my posture is a mess so I know it'll take a while to fix.
    I've heard that working my chest will tighten my chest muscles and pull my shoulders forward more. I think it was overworking my chest and not working my back enough that was one of the main things which created the problem in the first place.

From what I've read it is going to take a long time to fix it, not just a couple of months. Just stick to at least 2 days with rear delt work preferably with a few days rest in between.

You will destroy your CNS if you do extreme amounts of deadlifts and squats. I'd stick to deadlifts and squats twice a week max.

By not working your chest at all you will most likely create farther imbalances. Work it at least once a week and avoid incline presses. Dumbbells might be better, I always feel dumbbells a lot less in the deltoid than I do with a barbell.

Good luck!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not a professional athlete, but presumably they weren't either when they started.

Most professional athletes that do the same exercises every day are also taking GH, steroids, insulin and whatever else so their recovery times are exceptionally higher.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Most professional athletes that do the same exercises every day are also taking GH, steroids, insulin and whatever else so their recovery times are exceptionally higher.

Also, don't forget that professional athletes are already blessed with great genetics. Only a slim percentage of the population has the ability to rise to the top.

This is why you should shy away from training for pro bodybuilders/powerlifters/athletes. Drugs+Genetically gifted recovery puts them in a place you can't touch...
  • stt43
    Options
    Ok, well I can't afford any books. What websites have the best routines?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

i would not assume pro athletes are doing the same exercises every day

i'd imagine that their 'routines' are typically far more varied then most people making a living some other way.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    To specifically answer your question, there are routines that the common man (or woman) can attempt that have everyday lifting. Even Easier Strength by Dan John is one such programme.

Although the volume and intensity is pretty low (and you need to be able to stick to the low volume/intensity or else you'll eff up the programme) he still warns people off conventional deads. Self limiting deads like snatch grip or fat-bar deads are the recommendations for the programme specifically because you'll avoid cns burnout due to grip being a limiting factor.

I've done it whilst a new father (so on limited sleep) and survived just fine. However, I didn't mess around and try to be a hero with it, either. I stuck strictly to sub-maximal loads as per the instructions. I could see it would be easy to dig yourself a hole with it, if you lack sufficient discipline...

(FYI lifting programmes aren't like operating systems. Reg Park's 5x5 is 60-70 years old and will still get you big and strong. Bill Starr's Big 3 is, what, 40-50 years old now and will still make you a powerhouse. Good programmes stand the test of time and as long as they are aimed at your lifting level and chime with your goals will still be good in another 50 years. 5/3/1 will stand the test of time, I'm sure.)
  • stt43
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a simple squat/deadlift/bench, 3 days on 1 day off, tried and tested, available online, routine?
    Or does such a thing not exist?
    It may be better if I start a new thread to ask.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a simple squat/deadlift/bench, 3 days on 1 day off, tried and tested, available online, routine?
    Or does such a thing not exist?
    It may be better if I start a new thread to ask.

i think you just described a rountine right there. only you'd have 4 days off a week. its low volume but there is nothing wrong with that especially if strength is the goal.
  • stt43
    Options
    Everyone seems to think I need to follow a specific programme which someone else has already written down though. And I can't find one which matches these criteria.
    I think I'll just carry on what I'm doing, trying to change is confusing me too much.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you need about a day in between for your muscles to heal which is really important for growth. SO if you're trying to build muscle I don't think it would be the best way to go about it. However, I don't think there would be any harm in trying it out - not sure what your goals are.
  • stt43
    Options
    I'm looking for strength more than size at the moment.
    I was doing a pull/push/legs. But I think I might switch to an upper/lower, so I can hit everything three times a week instead of two.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The reason you cannot find a routine that fits your criteria is because your criteria is not very reasonable. If you need to, find a well established routine and modify it to fit your needs. It is not a recommended modification to double the volume, however.

I get the feeling you are trying to find a shortcut to the process; it does not work this way. For instance, you cannot work out for 24 hours straight and have that be the same as working out consistently for a month. There are many, many people that have accomplished what you are hoping to accomplish and have done it by true and tested programs. The best way to get to where they are is to do what they have done.

Be patient - you'll get there.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at doing a 5*5 want to improve your strength... That's about as close to description of StrongLifts 5*5 that you can come by...

Yep. OP should just do SL 5x5 for a bit.
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Training the same part of your body more than twice a week is very unnecessary! Your body needs a break, I def do not reccomend this.
  • stt43
    Options
    I want to work out more than three times a week though.
    I tried to find a routine which I could modify, but no luck.
    I'm not trying to find a short cut, I just like to workout regularly.
  • lmmo1977
    Options
    I'm thinking about changing my routine from squatting and deadlifting twice per week to deadlifting five or six times per week, and squatting three or four times per week.
    Is this a bad idea?

p.s. I've had a hamstring injury and I'm worried that I'll re-injure it.

What are your objectives? Most people don't need (and shouldn't have) more than 2 or 3 sessions per week. Lifting weights is just to stimulate muscle growth. The actual growth happens with the right nutrition (proper protein intake) and resting (long sleeping hours and definitely not over-training).