Reaching out for help....I have a problem

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You have a choice to make, do I want to make a change? Or are you not ready for that change yet? We can give you lots of you can do this cheerleading stuff, but if you aren't ready, then you aren't ready and nothing we say will change that. But that decision is totally up for you to make. It's not a bad thing to admit you aren't ready, when you are ready it will click.

Now if you are ready then great, You CAN do this! And once your head is in the game, it's really not that difficult. Read this thread as it has really good advice to get you started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck to you in whatever choice you make.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Wow! You sound just like how I used to be. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I've been there. My heaviest was 252 although I never 'saw' that 252 in the mirror. I knew I was big but I didn't think I was that heavy. I had a very physically active fiance(he is a minor league baseball player) so when I couldn't keep up to him, I just chalked it up to him being more "hardcore" than me. It wasn't until I saw a Christmas photo in December of 2011 that I saw the true, physical me...I was morbidly obese. I was mortified and vowed to change. Blah, blah blah, and the rest is history. This isn't about me, it's about you. I just wanted to show you that I can relate to how you currently feel, but I am here to tell you that you CAN change this. It's not that you don't care. It's that you are lacking self love right now. Seriously. You may feel that you are happy and that you love yourself, but you don't. If you did, you wouldn't sabotage your health and your body. If you loved yourself, you would work hard on being the best version of yourself, everyday. Not just an 'okay' version, or a content version. You want to be the best and happiest you can be!

First off, start small. Portion control, and exercise. Work on those portions and educate yourself on a proper portion size. Seriously, a real portion can be shocking when you are oblivious to those facts. And exercise at least 30-60 minutes 3 times a week. Start off small so you don't burn yourself out. And try to find a workout regimen that you are going to like/love. That way you are more likely to stick with it. And keep it fresh! Change up that routine every 4-5 workouts to keep things fresh and exciting, and to prevent your body from falling into a routine.

This is a lifestyle, so yes, there are going to be days when maybe you fall off the healthy eating, or you just don't feel like working out, etc. Just fight through that, jump over those hurtles. Dust yourself off, and get back on the wagon. Accept the trial and errors and move on from them!

You can do this, girl!

Good luck!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry - I obviously didnt type all of this down. I had a slipped disc in 2009, and this is where I put on most of my weight. I couldnt stand for more than 20 minutes, couldnt sit for more than 20 minutes and got quite depressed. then after the surgery, everyone says oh you cant do this exercise, and you cant do that, and so I ended up putting on weight.

Also, now that I am this weight, I have pain in my back more and more often, and i DESPERATELY do not want to go back to a time when I could do nothing.

Also, I have a big problem with sugar, and I am noticing that I have headaches more and more often lately. I am sure this is related, as I quit for a few days, and when I then had more sugar, I had more headaches again

This gives me a reason to reply. I am 5'2" and I used to weigh 294 pounds. I had trouble getting up stairs, in cars, and a whole lot more. Going for a walk filled me with trepidation because it would take so much energy. I also had a ruptured disk or two in my lower back.

I currently weigh 209 pounds. I lift at the gym and walk the treadmill. I eat clean on most days. I don't log every day, but I should and I know it. That is because I make a bad decision to not log.

It is all about decisions, not motivation. How do you want to live your life? I can tell you that having lost weight, my back doesn't hurt me but once or twice a year, whereas before it was every darn day. I have more energy as well.

I don't believe in 'motivation'. I believe in making the right decision. Some may disagree with me there, but it is a decision between not losing weight and keeping on complaining about health issues or losing weight and finding something more pleasant to talk about. It is a decision between eating a piece of chocolate cake or settling for an apple, which has more nutrition and fiber.

You have to make that decision. No one else can make it for you. No one else can force it upon you. It is up to you to make the decision to change your lifestyle so that you can enjoy life by being active and healthy or not change your lifestyle and make a decision to not enjoy life and die at an early age.

The choice is your's to make.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    PICTURES :)

I did not realize how big I was until I was going through pictures for a memory board. If you REALLY want that motivation - take a picture of yourself full body and place it everywhere you can...if you are sticking to your new lifestyle and working out (even a little walk here and there)..take another picture in a couple months to compare. Pictures have been my motivation since day one and still are!

You are here and that is a great start...once you get into the habit of things..it will be a smooth ride :)
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What I hear you saying is that you had a back injury that led to a sedentary lifestyle. This, is in combination with overeating, led to a big weight gain. Now that some time has passed since you injured your back, you are ready to start moving more and regaining mobility, and you realize that your eating habits have contributed to the weight gain. Perhaps you didn't have to worry about what you ate as much before your injury, but that has changed now.

I think you are on the right track here. You have a gym membership and have been going regularly a couple times a week, even though you haven't lost weight. It is actually a great thing that you feel comfortable with your body, because self-confidence and a positive body image can actually help you reach your goals and make the whole thing a happy process as your strength and fitness level improve.

Nutrition is the most important aspect of weight loss and physical fitness, as you have seen. You can go to the gym every day and not lose an ounce if you are eating mindlessly, or eating far in excess of your daily needs. I suggest really diving into this site. Set your weight loss goal and start logging everything. Carrying around excess weight can be really debilitating to your mobility and energy level, so hopefully as the weight comes off, you will find yourself feeling lighter and less sedentary.
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    You do care... it's just not an over night success story that we all wish it were. I think half of my problem is the waiting (most of my problem).
  • VeePhillips
    VeePhillips Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have disliked what I seem in the mirror for years now. I too though didn't feel fat on the inside. When I told people what I weighed they thought I was lying. I am was 5'6" and 296 lbs in October. I decided enough was enough after I went to my children's school and literally could barely breath after walking up two flights of stairs.

I first had to shop around for a doctor because I had been neglecting myself for years! I went and just said bluntly "I'm morbidly obese and need help." I told her I didn't want anything sugar coated. I wanted to know all my risks and what I needed to do. I think having an EKG done and finding I had a healthy heart was a turning point for me. I decided I needed to change before I did permanent damage to it.

Needless to say, it started out as baby steps. It still is really. But I'm down to 279 today and I can feel a difference with just that little gone. I too was not heavy all my life. Half of it I was a size 3! I don't expect to get there again, I just want to enjoy my life with my family.

Maybe you need to get "scared straight".
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a mental image of themselves that isn't accurate. Some see themselves as looking worse than they really do, and some think they look better. There are a ton of people on this forum who, despite their scale weight or clothing size, say they didn't think they looked "that big" until a photo or video shocked them. So you're not alone there. I'm one of those people that has to fight the "I look fine" or "What does it matter?" voice that always creeps in when I'm tempted to overeat. Logically I know those are only rationalizations, but it's so darn easy to go along with in the moment (funny how I'm at my most motivated AFTER my belly's full of calorific and carb-laden foods. But while I'm buying it and stuffing my face with it, I'm all excuses and justifications).

As for personal motivation, that can only come from within. Is being overweight worse than doing what you have to do to lose weight? Is consistently overeating more pleasurable and important to you than your health and appearance? I personally think it's your own decision to make - no one can force you change your priorities. Others will probably disagree with me, but I believe that it's a valid choice either way. It's your body and your life. I think what more people dislike is when fat people whine and complain about being fat but do nothing to change. We all have to decide how we want to move through life and then own it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I lack any motivation of any kind.
    If you really, truly don't care...then there is nothing any of us here can tell you.
    If you care deep down, but it's too hard to care because it hurts...then it's time to suck it up, feel the pain, accept that you are in a place you do not want to be, and start to make small changes.
    I am a member of the gym, and go maybe twice a week. I joined the gym in May last year, and I have lost no weight at all. I know I do overeat though, but mainly I JUST DON'T CARE!
    You can go to that gym every day, do a ton of cardio and strength training...but if you do not get your calorie consumption under control you still will not lose weight. Exercise is very healthy, and everyone should do it...but it will not take the pounds off unless you are also controlling the number of calories you consume.
    You can lose weight without exercise if you eat appropriately, but no amount of going to the gym can overcome constant overeating.
  • newtothishelp
    newtothishelp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Right people, I am going to go and take a photo right now, and load it onto my profile, then every time I Log in, that'll be a motivator (hopefully!) :smile:
  • wirodi
    wirodi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar boat, I think. And, every day, I failed, without even knowing it.

I love food. I really do. I love french fries, burgers, ice cream, and everything they have in the aisles of the grocery store. That's where I failed. 95% of the products from the middle of the grocery store have been cheapened and/or chemically altered to make you crave it like crack. (Pringles need a rehab center, IMO). Turns out what I loved was what the food industry was engineering for me to love. When you think of it that way, it's kinda gross.

I'm smart. I don't feel I need others to succeed at my goals, and I can handle my personal life myself. That's where I failed. I enrolled in a fitness program that was designed for people with extra weight to lose, and hearing the struggles of others and how similar the stories were to mine helped me stay on track. I needed the accountability; I couldn't do it on my own.

I always put other people first, and my own needs (one of which was to be healthy) went to the bottom of the list. I give blood regularly. There's a medication that I should but don't take which will make me more mobile and energetic, but I avoided taking it because I couldn't give blood on it. That was where I failed. In reality, I needed to take a chance and put myself first, and for once worry about my own health, which I'm doing now. I needed to be healthy, so I could do more things for more people, and I didn't recognize that early enough. Now I long for the lost opportunities that I had.

I avoided moving, especially stairs. But I worked in a building where I didn't need the stairs, and I lived in a house that didn't have many stairs. I'd get winded on stairs, so I just avoided them. That was where I failed. A trainer told me to speak to a doctor about possibly having asthma, which I apparently have had for most of my life. I started using an inhaler just before working out, and not only can I finish a workout, but I even run for fun now.

Anyway, the way I changed wasn't just eating better. It wasn't just exercising more. It wasn't just finding a support network of people like me. It wasn't just finding a reason to want to live longer.

It was all of these things.

And once I started doing all of these things, I left my goals in the dust. (see below)

Now, when working in my accountability group, the people who see the most success are those who set attainable goals. They may be "No ice cream this week." It may be "hold plank for 10 seconds longer than my previous best." They may be "lose 3 pounds this month", but they are small, attainable, and don't drive everything you do. If you strive for monstrous goals, you can expect disastrous results.

For you, I would suggest something like this:
    1) Every week, lose a half pound that you had last week. If you lose three this week, that's great, but you still need to lose a half pound next week. Weigh in every Monday morning, and then put the scale away for the rest of the week. Or, use the scale at your local clinic; they usually let you stop in and weigh in for free, and then you won't go do it every moment. If you hit the bare minimum on this, you will lose 26 pounds a year!
    2) Use MFP daily to log everything, and to set a calorie goal equivalent to losing 1 pound/week. If that doesn't work after a month, up it to two lbs a week. It doesn't seem like a lot of food, but your body will adjust. (I went from 3500 cal/day to about 1300 for maximum results.) Get friends on there who will scold you if you don't do it.
    3) Don't eat after 7PM. Your food can't turn into anything usable and be used after that point, so it will just be converted into storage, and nobody wants that.
    4) Pick one meal per week where you can eat whatever the heck you want. Stick with it. You have a craving, save it for that meal. You probably won't want to eat it by then anyway.
    5) One day per week, don't eat anything with ingredients you can't pronounce. Week 2, up that to two. By week 7, you think you will have your "cheat meal" to look forward to, but you'll actually start to taste foods differently, and you'll actually be "cheating" with healthy foods anyway.
    6) Workout, get moving, do something so you earn back calories every day in MFP. BUT, only eat half of those. So if you earn 600 calories mowing the lawn, only eat 300 of those for the day (or less).

You want to change, so you will. But you have to keep wanting it, and (stealing this mantra) you need to go after it with gazelle intensity, or else... well, you know what happened to the slow gazelle.

-William

======
    My goals: Note that I started in May '13
    1st goal: Lose 40 lbs in the first year - completed by end of July
    2nd goal: Lose 40 lbs in this next year - December set me back, but I've got 13 to go in the next six months.
    3rd goal: Run a 5K by the end of 2015 - Did that last November.
    4th Goal: Run 3-5Ks each calendar year until I can't. - we'll see how that goes.
  • LynnEllen64
    LynnEllen64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first step by asking for help. You should consider that your first success and be proud of yourself for that..

What helped me to realize my size was seeing myself in pictures. I can tell myself that I don't look that bad when I look in the mirror, but photos do not lie. I would suggest taking a picture of yourself, looking at it, and then decided if that picture shows you as you want to be. If not, you are ready for a change.
    I also am having more and more back pain and my knees are not happy with me either. I was not built to carry the extra pounds that I am carrying around and my body is telling me so.
    I just now have gotten to the mental place to do this, and I have been fighting weight gain for my entire life. I have now told myself that I must do this for medical reasons. My doctors have been too polite and have not actually told me to loose weight, but they have confirmed when I ask if my medical problems would get better if I lost weight. I am taking this as a prescription to loose weight. If I want to feel better and live an active life, then I need to do this!
    Once you are truly ready, you will be able to do it too!

Also, I know that I need the accountability factor. I joined a local group for weigh loss where I weigh in once a week and we can talk about what worked and what didn't, and help to keep each other motivated. It feels good to have someone compliment you on your successes. You also have us here, as you already know.
    Good luck on your journey, I wish you great success!
  • Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I totally get this! I started at 190lbs (nearly 14 stone) and I still thought I looked great like when I was a good 50lbs lighter, then every so often I'd see a photo of when I thought I looked great and realised that a) I did not look good b) someone of my size should not wear a bodycon dress and c) when did my face get so big??? I'd be bothered for a few days get over it and then got back into my head that I was fine....

It was only in the summer/Autumn that I had to stop wearing my wedding rings that It really hit me.

Don't worry your moment of clarity will come x
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    1st off - REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES AND SNAP PICTURES OF FRONT, BACK and SIDE VIEW then look at the pictures and see if you like what you see?

this is EXACTLY what got me motivated.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand what you are saying about being both concerned and unmotivated at the same time, not recognizing that you look overweight and yet realizing and worrying about being overweight at the same time.... I suffered from this confusion for many years.

For most of us (and I'll exclude people with major medical (ex. thyroid) issues), gaining weight and becoming obese was a long, slow trauma that we inflicted upon ourselves by using food in an abusive way toward ourselves, under the guise of "comforting" ourselves or soothing our painful emotions. We didnt' know how to cope with the difficulties of life so we ate to feel some modicum of pleasure. It's extremely subtle, not exactly black and white like, "I'm sad. Therefore I'll eat this ice cream until I nearly puke". No, it's more like, "I eat ice cream over and over and can't stop for some reason, even though I really want to". We need comfort and happiness, and yet we deliver the exact opposite to ourselves by means of weight gain, guilt, shame, and sharp self-critque.

Many people in trauma/abuse situations block out large portions of that trauma in order to cope with the pain of what's happening to them. I believe chronic and compulsive overeaters do just this. We have to "shut off" parts of our selves - some of our memories, our values, our desires - in order to cope with the fear of the "beast within" and the disgust and self-hatred we have long developed toward ourselves.

Thus, we are extremely disconnected with ourselves. Our dreams and hopes. We've "given up" in a sense. And yet waaaaaay down deep in there.....we really DO want to be happy and healthy. But we do not allow ourselves to believe it. It's just too painful considering we've come this far and screwed up our lives so badly.

Over time, this disconnection deeply damages the relationship between our DESIRES and our ACTIONS. We convince ourselves that "it's not that bad", "I'm not THAT overweight", "I can eat just a little of these cookies", and on and on... And yet it IS that bad, we ARE that overweight, and we CAN'T only eat a few cookies at a time. it's like living in a fantasy world. Numbness.

In order for you to experience true motivation, you must begin to bring those desires for health and freedom into alignment with REALITY which requires real ACTION in the real world. The first step of action is realizing and admitting you have a problem. I believe that by coming on these boards you are dipping your toe into the waters of admitting this. I suggest you sit down, think about it, maybe journal about it, and DIVE IN to this concept. "I have a problem and that's OKAY. I am admitting it, and will seek help. I will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get that help. I will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to value myself enough to get this taken care of."

Then begin the journey. What might that look like? It might involve getting involved with a support group, such as overeaters anonymous (I highly recommend). It might mean reading some good books on this issue ("Food Trigger" by Rhona Epstein is an amazing book I'm reading). It might mean meeitng with a therapist or pastor. Visiting a nutritionist or personal trainer. Making friends on here and asking for support. Logging your calories into MFP.... There are a host of ACTIONS you can perform to bring your DESIRES to life.

Sometimes it takes a step out onto the water before you discover you can walk on it. I highly encourage you to do this, figuratively. For your health and your sanity. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Blessings!
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry - I obviously didnt type all of this down. I had a slipped disc in 2009, and this is where I put on most of my weight. I couldnt stand for more than 20 minutes, couldnt sit for more than 20 minutes and got quite depressed. then after the surgery, everyone says oh you cant do this exercise, and you cant do that, and so I ended up putting on weight.

Also, now that I am this weight, I have pain in my back more and more often, and i DESPERATELY do not want to go back to a time when I could do nothing.

Also, I have a big problem with sugar, and I am noticing that I have headaches more and more often lately. I am sure this is related, as I quit for a few days, and when I then had more sugar, I had more headaches again

Those sound like great motivations! It is depressing to be so limited. See what you can do to surpass those limitations. My XMIL was told she'd never walk again after a stroke took half her brain. Boy did she ever prove them wrong! And I know a yoga instructor who was diagnosed early with arthritis, was told she'd never have kids and be in a wheel chair by age 30. Now she's teaching yoga multiple times a week and has an 8 year old daughter (and I'm guessing she's in her 40s).

Be wise, of course, rather than jumping in to things too quickly, but look at those things that you want to be able to do, and see how you can start working toward them.

Also, if you have any "should" mindset about losing weight, see if you can shift that. "Shoulds" always weigh us down. It's not about feeling bad for NOT doing things, it's about feeling GOOD about treating yourself well! "Does this decision honor me?" is what I try to go to if I'm questioning. That cookie will be instant gratification for my tastebuds, but it will be short-lived. Going for a run however is a gift to myself in health, in fresh air and sunshine, and is a message that "You matter!" and that's part of the reason it feels so awesome. And it's a feeling that lasts a lot longer than that cookie. But? Sometimes yes it's honoring to treat myself with a cookie.

Set up a hierarchy if you like. If I'm hungry and craving sweets, I'll try going for a walk and having some water. That usually helps diminish the craving. But if not, then I'll try some carrots (I'm told those are great for cravings). If that still doesn't work, then I'll consider filling the craving, and I can feel better about doing it because it wasn't the first thing I went to, and the decision was made mindfully rather than out of habit.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat for years. I knew I was obese when I saw myself in the mirror or in pictures but I didn't really feel that bad about how I looked or felt most of the time. However, as I reached my highest weight in 2009, I started feeling more self conscious and noticing that I couldn't get around as easily and although it took a few months to fully set in, I finally decided it was time to do something about my weight. And I didn't care so much about getting skinny just to look better, I mostly wanted to feel better in my skin and be able to do more physically.

You're the only one that can figure out the goals that will really work for you. Take some time, put some thought into it and keep writing down things as they occur to you. For me in the beginning it was mostly about getting out of the obese range, lowing my bp and cholesterol and trying to get some movement in. Then it became more about meeting fitness goals (running a 5k for instance) and now it's a balance of the two. I'm continuing with my fitness AND working to finally get into the healthy BMI range for my height.

Just make sure those goals are small, realistic and achievable so you don't set yourself up for failure. No need to be in any huge rush. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • seasonsanna
    Options
    my friend and i are both fatasses, but we always joke that we don't think we are.

my mind, i still see myself as i was before i had kids, small and cute. i can see that im fat when i look in the mirror, but i had gotten so used to it that i really didn't think i looked THAT bad. but then someone posts a pic on facebook or something and im like "holy ****. whos that fat chick."

so i get what you mean, i think. my motivation is to look like what i think i look like, and also to not be totally embarrassed when someone tags me in pics. (also for my kids, live longer, health, blah, blah, blah....)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    to be honest I was in a slump for a really long time and I didn't care but the fact that you are here and seeking help and advice is a good start - if you do what you are supposed to do - not only will you drop weight but you will feel better about yourself as well and you will start to care more about what choices you make....good luck on your journey!
  • ShelleyTurgeon
    ShelleyTurgeon Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had the same mindset,... until I had professional photos taken by someone else (I'm a photographer myself) and I was horrified by what I had become. TO this day I don't feel "big" but then I just bring out that picture and I quickly remind myself that I am on a mission to be a better me and a much much smaller version of the girl in that picture... friend me,,, I have a fantastic bunch of people that are always encouraging and I do my best too!