I see many with very pour nutrition in their diet.

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    This an interesting post for the "Introduce Yourself" topic; usually people in this topic, well, introduce themselves and why they are here and what kind of friends they would like.

I must disagree with most of your suggestions. My grandma was an excellent cook and I've learned the craft from her … we have lots of home cooked, healthy dishes. But I read this post as I finished my Papa John's Delivered Pizza, after a lunch at Del Taco. Granted, I don't eat like today very often, but I eat bread daily. I love (whole wheat) pasta. I eat bacon as often as I can. I eat chocolate, ice cream, etc on a regular basis (not all in one day), and I even open a box or a can from time to time. My blood pressure hangs out around 100/60. My cholesterol is perfect. My sugars are swell. My immune system is pretty stellar. Body fat is at 25%. And I'm doing very well at body recomp. So, I'll stick with my way of eating, thanks.

Oh, and if anyone wants recipes from someone who has a fairly decent handle on moderation in all things, feel free to ask. :happy: :wink:

edited to remove quoted meme, replying to that independently so maybe message here is more respectful, not lost.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Actually at my age I could give a rats *kitten* less if you like what I have to say. I came here for encouragement and help and to give encouragement and help and be helpful. I am not meaning to be offensive to anyone. If you don't like what I post I could care less. I will encourage and give advice as I please. Don't like it don't read my posts. Simple as that. I am blunt and to the point. Some people can't take it. Oh well. Tough cookies.

My guess is that people will be more up to taking advice from you when you have been here longer than a month and have lost far more than two lbs or at least are tone and fit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I think that you grew up in an era where nutrition information was very poor and you have not kept current over the years. :flowerforyou:

This is a fair comment. Nutrition science has come a long, long way in the past few decades. Even in the past few years.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i ate at mcdonalds today... . >.<
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My mother died in 2008 and I don't think God died and left you in charge of me so I don't answer to anyone.

He must have died and left you in charge of all of us :laugh:

Use the "quote" button so we can tell who you're talking to, please.
  • daniicaliforniaa93
    Options
    SAY IT WITH YOUR CHEST!

tumblr_mpznxg9mrt1ri1onzo1_500.gif
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My mother died in 2008 and I don't think God died and left you in charge of me so I don't answer to anyone.

My mom is still alive, so answer to her, not you.

And she has dementia, so that makes it entertaining.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    And I thought this post was going to be about BEVERAGES. I am sad.

THIS lololol "pour"
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're qualified to tell us we have poor health.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    *I DO NOT EAT MCDONALDS*

That out of the way - you can actually eat nothing but McDonald's and lose weight. Just do a search for John Cisna a teacher who did just that for 90 days and lost 37 pounds. He kept within his calorie and nutrition guidelines.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Actually at my age I could give a rats *kitten* less if you like what I have to say. I came here for encouragement and help and to give encouragement and help and be helpful. I am not meaning to be offensive to anyone. If you don't like what I post I could care less. I will encourage and give advice as I please. Don't like it don't read my posts. Simple as that. I am blunt and to the point. Some people can't take it. Oh well. Tough cookies.
    You may be right. Don't ask me why.
  • Lleldiranne
    Options
    Welcome to MFP I see you joined this month. Many of us have been here for years and been very successful not only losing weight, but improving our health. We have learned to balance "healthy foods" with good tasting foods. We've learned that bread, bacon and fast food are NOT the reason people get fat because eating too many calories is the real reason. We also know that you have to have some sodium to function especially since many of us are athletes.

Here's some better advice:
    -Record your calories accurately.
    -Make sure your calorie and macro nutrient goals are appropriate.
    -Hit your calorie goal, macro goal and micro goals.
    -Get active.
    -Make changes you can sustain forever.

Because it deserves repeating.

And because usmcmp set the right example in being respectful while disagreeing, which helped me try to be a little more respectful. (Thanks!)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I think that you grew up in an era where nutrition information was very poor and you have not kept current over the years. :flowerforyou:

This is a fair comment. Nutrition science has come a long, long way in the past few decades. Even in the past few years.

Yup, she has seen the fat is evil era and the beginning of Atkins. And while I appreciate the spirit of her message, which seems to be a call for moderation, she was simply off base.

OP, I eat fast food and gas station food daily due to traveling. I have lost 14lbs since New Years.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am seeing posting and when looking at their food diaries it is a nightmare. Take it from an old lady who has lost a whole ton of weight in my life. I know how to do it just have a problem keeping it off because I am also a gourmet cook and I love to eat what I cook.

You can have bread but cut back to 2-3 slices a week and do whole wheat vs white. A little pasta goes a long way. You can have a slice or 2 of bacon a week. It won't kill you. I see people staying below their calorie intake but everything else is out of control. You need a balance. If you don't eat a good healthy diet you may lose but you are not making choices that are going to keep the weight off.

You don't have to deprive yourself but for God's sake stay out of McDonalds if you are serious. Learn how to cook. It is fun and you will feel much more satisfied. If you are eating packaged meals you are filling your body with sodium and crap that will make you sick. If anyone would like recipes let me know I will be glad to help you out. some of you are asking for a stroke or heart attack and I am not some kind of health nut believe me.

Oh, OP, thank you for your wisdom and sage advice. I mean, there are so many losers on this site who don't know what they are doing, but you've obviously had a great deal of practice in gaining, losing, and re-gaining weight to scientifically figure out the absolute most correct way to do it. Really, my hat's off to you. I SO wish there was a like button for this, really.

facebook-thumbs-down-dislike.jpg
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I would love chicken recipes. i can bbq it and bake it but it ia always dry. thanks for volunteering to help

This will go for both chicken leg quarters and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I quite often marinade my chicken for a couple of hours in the fridge with a little olive oil, lemon juice, seasoned salt and pepper and garlic powder.

When you bbq try not putting it right over the fire and you don't need a really hot fire either. put the coals to one side of the grill put your chicken to the side and close the cover for about 10 minutes, turn it over and when the juice runs clear it is done. I sometimes like to put it over the coals for just a minute or 2 to brown it just a bit. It should be moist at that point. Most people tend to over cook it which makes it dry.

Thank you for this!

And I do not know why I never thought to marinate my chicken in a little olive oil and lemon juice! So simple yet sounds tasty. :smile:
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP I see you joined this month. Many of us have been here for years and been very successful not only losing weight, but improving our health. We have learned to balance "healthy foods" with good tasting foods. We've learned that bread, bacon and fast food are NOT the reason people get fat because eating too many calories is the real reason. We also know that you have to have some sodium to function especially since many of us are athletes.

Here's some better advice:
    -Record your calories accurately.
    -Make sure your calorie and macro nutrient goals are appropriate.
    -Hit your calorie goal, macro goal and micro goals.
    -Get active.
    -Make changes you can sustain forever.

Thanks for making a friendly and helpful response to the original poster. She was trying to be helpful and I would hate to see her discouraged from participating on the boards because appeared judgmental.

To the original poster (OP in myfitnesspal lingo): That's so great you're a good cook! It will really help in your lifelong journey toward !health. As a cook, you know the qualities of food, and that will help you make more healthy versions of favorite. I suggest you use those cooking skills as a way to eat in a way you can sustain, so you don't keep gaining it back. My 14-year old daughter and I are pretty good cooks, and we make a game out of trying to recreate tastes we love in more healthful ways. Everything in moderation. I don't deny myself anything, and we don't change recipes because we feel we can't eat them without the changes; we just want to be able to enjoy more of it while staying within my calorie goals and getting lots of nutrition. For example, if I want traditional swedish meatballs, I know I can have them, by just accounting for it in my daily totals. But I've found that my re-worked recipe for swedish meatballs allows me to enjoy the same great taste while 1) decreasing fat, 2) increasing fiber, 3) adding a serving of vegetables to the dish, and 4) enjoy a larger portion. Today, I chose the opposite. It was feeling like an oatmeal cookies and popcorn for dinner day, so I had them, enjoyed every bite, and don't feel a shred of guilt. I hit my major nutrition targets today, I exercised, and I average 8 servings of fruit and vegetables per day. I lose slow but steady. I want to encourage you in your journey!

Thank you very much for your kind words. Much appreciated.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    As contentious as the posting was always going to be, there are some valid points in there.

My diary is open only to friends. That said, I'd be the first to admit that I sneak some crap in there sometimes - and that sometimes I'd benefit from either moderating it or eliminating it.

I'm going to dwell on the positive and just say that this posting was a welcome reminder to look at the foods themselves and not just the calorie count.

What a lovely response, it's amazing how your post stood out to me like a beacon of light, thank you, you made my night sharing the way you did.:drinker: To me sharing ideas for making healthier choices is always welcomed.:flowerforyou: Thank you OP.:happy:

As I was glancing at a few responses shortly after I posted mine I began noticing more positive thoughts added to the thread... Positivity is like a candle that is lit by one and then passed to another, everything begins to brighten the darkness.

OP I too understood your post, you wanted to share what you've learned with the rest of the Community... thank you for sharing your wisdom, there are many on MFP that will find this helpful. You might not hear from some as they stay off the boards but some of us will jump in and please understand lack of manners you may come across from time to time on the boards is the minority of the members here.:flowerforyou: :heart:

Welcome to MFP! I see you joined this month, nothing but the best to you.:smile::drinker:

I weighed 275 and took off 150 lbs when I was 30 I am now 70 and have gradually crept up to about 180 over the years until a year and a half ago when I decided to get serious again. I had hit 235 which was the highest I had been since I was 30. In a year and half I took off 25 lbs but just decided to get real serious and get back down to a healthier weight again.

Actually this is quite impressive... keeping off most of your weight after 40 years is amazing!! Good for you for jumping back in and getting your health back on track.:drinker:
  • Lleldiranne
    Options
    turtle-meme-ermahgerd-mershed-perderders-eating-mashed-potatoes.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:
  • nasska16
    nasska16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will not like my diary. Shall we compete in a duel of some kind?

OMG I wanna friend you just for this comment! Awesome lol :laugh: