Obese & Sedentary to Marathon Runner

Options

Replies

• momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also in 2012 just started running, I wanted to accomplish something for myself and running was it. It was torturous at first but got easier and I LOVED running. Then the cold set in and I just stopped unfourtantely . For some reason I can't run on treadmill. It's a lot harder for me to do treadmill. I plan to pick up running once it warms up here and I WILL learn to run on treadmill so I won't ever stop. That's one exercise I TRULLY loved doing..made me feel so good about myself. Nothing like running in fresh air.....congrats on your accomplishments. You looks awesome.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    amazing!!! total inspiration!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I needed to read right now!

I've lost almost 30 lbs since joining MFP and have been running kind of casually for a while. I am now on Week 3 of C25K, and have 5K, 10K, and half-marathon races scheduled for March, June, and October (respectively). I love running! Love love love it. And to hear the strides you've made (pun intended!) is a huge motivator both physically and performance wise.

Thank you, and best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • tammyjane42
    Options
    That is amazing, you look beautiful, what a wonderful accomplishment!!!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Congratulations! Your story is so inspiring.
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    your kids are the spitting image of their dad

That's funny :)
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

That cracked me up.

Awesome job, though. You're definitely an inspiration!
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great Job you look amazing, your face doesn't even look like the before pictures. It must feel so liberating to know you did that and no on can ever take it away from you. I was told I could not run during my pregnancy, I have just been cleared to workout again and I cant believe I would ever say this, but I missed running. Even with this "vortex cold weather" the Midwest is having its been too long hello running.
  • ash012
    ash012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • urwhaturnot
    urwhaturnot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking time to share your story of becoming a runner. You are definitely an inspiration!
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! you are an inspiration
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So much awesome!!! You are so inspirational!!! Running is something I keep trying to do, too. I had given up due to so many injuries and a horrible 5K performance last summer, but now I want to try it again! Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • kizzyb1977
    kizzyb1977 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!!
  • kaaabney
    kaaabney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I have just decided to start running and actually started using the c25k app last night and hope to enjoy running as much as you do one. Thanks and great job
  • theimpossibles
    theimpossibles Posts: 20 Member
    Options

i laughed for a good minute and a half at this.... lol

amazing job BTW. i'm hoping to do the same. coming down from 260 this time it might be a while.
  • jennbriere
    jennbriere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 234lbs 11 months ago and lost 35 lbs between September through December. I lost it strictly by eating at a calorie deficit with no exercise or physical activity as I've done previously. Having lost and gained weight this way many (many) times in the past, I knew that if I wanted this time to be different, I obviously needed to do something different.

So I decided to become a runner.

Back in January before I ran my first steps, my goal was to run a 5k in August. I made a promise to myself that no matter what, I would commit to 3 days a week and do 5km each time until I could run the whole distance. The first week was awful. I would walk 5-10 minutes at a time and then run about 30 seconds. I hated it. I remember my legs and lungs burning from running that short distance and I also remember thinking "how the hell am I supposed to be able to do this for 30+ minutes straight?"

But then something happened. It was about my 3rd or 4th 'run' when I realized I was hitting 30 seconds pretty easily and making it closer to a minute. Then I realized I didn't need such long walking breaks. I also realized that my legs weren't actually going to fall out beneath me and my lungs weren't ACTUALLY going to burst. Everything then changed. I was soon able to run half a km and then a full km. By the end of January I was able to run a full 5km without stopping. I just accomplished something that seemed so impossible a month ago.

So I kept going. By March 1st I could run 10km and it was around that point I decided to see just how far I could go if I slowly kept increasing my distance every week. As it turns out, I was able to go pretty far! I had hopes for a half marathon at the back of my mind throughout this whole process, but once I hit that distance in April I decided to give it all I had and aim for a full marathon in August. It seemed SO ridiculous that I didn't really tell too many people until very recently. I was afraid they'd say I was going to injure myself, I should start with shorter races etc. But for some reason I really needed to prove something to myself.

I started marathon training in the spring and still only ran 3 days a week. Some days I deviated from my training and if something didn't feel right I wasn't afraid to take a few days off to recover. I did everything in my power to remain injury free. I don't know when exactly it happened, but somewhere in that time I fell in love with running.

On August 25th, just over 7 months after I started I ran and finished my very first full 42.2km marathon. The last 10km were very tough but I did it and it was worth every grueling step. My goal was to finish and run the whole thing and I finished in 5:11:49 which put me in 459th place out of 504 finishers and a total of over 600 runners. I never thought being in 459th place for anything would feel so good!

Oh I should also add that I've lost a grand total of 88lbs. I can honestly say I wouldn't have gotten to this point without running. It's helped realize I'm so much more than whatever the number is on the scale that day and it gave me a new appreciation for myself and what I'm capable of (something I've never had). My little boys suddenly want to run in races 'like mommy'. It's amazing.

If you got this far, thanks for reading my story! Here are a few before and after pics:

Before:

be7c660e-a5fe-4a19-8cf1-a24176bf5b62_zps16f5513c.jpg

807a0db9-24c0-4a0f-a09c-34a1d78983c7_zpsa986ee40.jpg

After:

2a790475-d48b-4acc-a024-533592474145_zpscc023a8b.jpg

f06f455c-d19d-4ff7-a222-61fc85199ebc_zpsca432241.jpg

Amazing success - you look beautiful! :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You look so strong! I can't wait to start running!
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Makes me think I could get back into running again! Thanks for sharing your story. :)
  • the_chiha
    the_chiha Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story and an amazing transformation! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • preetibutterfly77
    Options
    You are truly inspiring.
    I am in the same boat. I have seven months to train :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!