WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what your friends think about you giving them up in favor of your new lifestyle?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, when you say 80/10/10, is that your macros setup? Because that is far from a healthy and balanced diet. Your way of eating is taking over your life. If that's not an unhealthy relationship with food, I don’t know what is...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't have a healthy relationship with food.

Quinoa = bad?!?!?!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    OK I actually went and read the whole thing. Just sounds like the OP reacted to an inability to control herself by instituting an essentially arbitrary set of extremely strict rules. This is pretty common. I guess some people need an extremely rigid structure to enforce compliance. Sounds like she went first to one rigid diet, which she raved about while she was on, to another rigid diet, which she is now raving about.

OP, there's nothing magic about your diet (and a lot that is not good about your diet). The only magic you discovered is compliance.

^^^^This. All "diets" for losing weight no matter what you start doing come down to being in a caloric deficit.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The cliff notes from everyone give me more sads. I'll be honest, I skimmed. One handed phone play fail.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Somehow, the food on the plate had changed, but my habits were still pretty much the same. Eating really healthy vegan meals (still high raw) and then going out 3-5x per week and having a few drinks and my diet became vegan à la bar menu, which could consist of about 5 martinis and a large plate of french fries or some vegan nachos. I hated myself the next day, and I could hear this inner voice pleading me to stop. Problem was I never wanted the party to end.

A wise man once told me that martinis are like women's breasts. One is too few and three is too many. 5 martinis would put most people on the floor. I think this would be the bigger problem, not any meat or cooked food that you might consume.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm raw vegan, but you, OP, make it sound like a prison sentence you had to force upon yourself by giving up everything and everyone around you.

It's not like that for everyone. And I am by NO means low fat. One can't cut fat to make up for a high sugar diet and think that's OK because the calories add up. There is a dietary balance. Our bodies need fat just as they need carbs and protein. You seemed to have missed the nutritional point of healthy eating just to wear a label.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, when you say 80/10/10, is that your macros setup? Because that is far from a healthy and balanced diet. Your way of eating is taking over your life. If that's not an unhealthy relationship with food, I don’t know what is...

Yup. Disordered eating, revisionist thinking, obsession with eating seriously affecting her personal life, progression from one fad diet to another, unhealthy diet, etc. I'm seeing things like this on her pre-vegan high-protein diet:

"My body does really gravitate towards Dukan naturally. I don't crave carbs at all, but I do crave protein"

"I was really craving bad carbs this weekend, pad thai, lo mein, pizza, but it's the one thing I won't let myself have. I feel like even having one small carb will be a very slippery slope. "

"I am a VERY happy Dukaner this morning!!!! I am so glad I started my fitness plan last night!"

"I need to loose 15 lbs in a relatively short period of time (less than a month) and [Dukan] is the only way I know how"

This is really all over the place and more than a little worrisome.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OK I actually went and read the whole thing. Just sounds like the OP reacted to an inability to control herself by instituting an essentially arbitrary set of extremely strict rules. This is pretty common. I guess some people need an extremely rigid structure to enforce compliance. Sounds like she went first to one rigid diet, which she raved about while she was on, to another rigid diet, which she is now raving about.

OP, there's nothing magic about your diet (and a lot that is not good about your diet). The only magic you discovered is compliance.

Pretty much this.

OP, glad it is working for you, and I hope you find it sustainable with no long-term deficiencies.

It wouldn't work for me, and I wouldn't want it to, but that's fine, too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Somehow, the food on the plate had changed, but my habits were still pretty much the same. Eating really healthy vegan meals (still high raw) and then going out 3-5x per week and having a few drinks and my diet became vegan à la bar menu, which could consist of about 5 martinis and a large plate of french fries or some vegan nachos. I hated myself the next day, and I could hear this inner voice pleading me to stop. Problem was I never wanted the party to end.

A wise man once told me that martinis are like women's breasts. One is too few and three is too many. 5 martinis would put most people on the floor. I think this would be the bigger problem, not any meat or cooked food that you might consume.

Going out 5 times a week, having 5 martinis at a time..... serial obsession with extreme fad diets...

Anyone see a pattern?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    TL;DR, but scanned and got the jist.

You need to control your fear of food, it sounds debilitating.

I once feared food, not eating enough or properly gave me an oddly eurphoric feeling, delusional even. My mom got me with some doctors who let me know that I was anorexic and bulemic. It was tough to come back from, took me 15 years to start reclaiming my life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like some hot food every once in a while, personally.

If this works for you, good for you. I'd be starving and miserable all the time.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Going out 5 times a week, having 5 martinis at a time..... serial obsession with extreme fad diets...

Anyone see a pattern?

I mean, right? That could be the better part of a bottle of vodka a night if it's a two shot martini (which most are).
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I felt like this about food myself once... they called it anorexia after a year or so. No disrespect, your path is your own and congratulations for finding something you think works for you, sincerely. But, and I say this with love for you, eating something should never make you feel guilty. That is clinically the beginning of a disorder that stems from a need for control.. by removing yourself from your friends? You've placed emotions in to food vs. people. I'm not a doctor? But the one I had to see to conquer my food habits was pretty clear about putting my relationship with food above my relationship with life.

Nothing we eat is evil or bad. It may not all be the best of choices? I mean I'll eat an apple before a snickers, but in moderation there is no reason to deny ourselves meats, cheeses, etc. You are completely allowed to experiment with your body, by all means find out how it affects you long term.. but please be careful what information you deal out to others, clinically what you are doing could be very harmful by denying nutrients from various foods. I may be wrong in that and I welcome anyone else to correct me? But I know both of my grandparents were raised on meat and dairy (evil foods) and both of them maintained incredible body structures without restricting anything.. IMO.. today's culture has gotten so fad obsessed they've forgotten how to just eat normal.

Yeah, big parts of this story reads like my anorexia story as well, labeling more and more foods as bad.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Um, no. But thanks.

Happy it's working out for you, though. :flowerforyou:
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options

Quinoa = bad?!?!?!

I agree that quinoa is bad, but for me it's because I can't cook it (always end up either soggy mess or little pebbles of doom.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    tl;skimmed

Ten percent fat and ten percent protein is unsustainable and unhealthy. That's not enough protein to maintain, much less build, muscle; nor enough fat to maintain a healthy level of fat-soluble vitamins or cholesterol. (Yes, cholesterol can get too low.)

You feel great now; that's common among new raw vegans, as you cut out the junk food and add vegetables. Unless you supplement heavily, you'll be back here in a couple of years wanting to know why your teeth are rotting, you're fatigued and depressed, your libido is gone, and your immune system is down the tubes. After all, you're doing everything "right"!

Please reconsider.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Quinoa = bad?!?!?!

I agree that quinoa is bad, but for me it's because I can't cook it (always end up either soggy mess or little pebbles of doom.

LOL Love it! awwwww!!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

Quinoa = bad?!?!?!

It takes practice. The key is to have the heat turned down. If it's up to high, you get mush. If you have it too low, you have to increase the cooking time to wait for them to split open. There's a happy medium that's hard to hit.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All I can say is hummus with no olive oil isn't hummus.