WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    thank you and OP for all the great info. I agree not many on here will understand but I do and wanted to give you some support because your right there will be backlash from people who are still so addicted to processed foods that they can't help defending their habits.

This is an absurdly ignorant, inflammatory comment.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, when you say 80/10/10, is that your macros setup? Because that is far from a healthy and balanced diet. Your way of eating is taking over your life. If that's not an unhealthy relationship with food, I don’t know what is...

Yup. Disordered eating, revisionist thinking, obsession with eating seriously affecting her personal life, progression from one fad diet to another, unhealthy diet, etc. I'm seeing things like this on her pre-vegan high-protein diet:

"My body does really gravitate towards Dukan naturally. I don't crave carbs at all, but I do crave protein"

"I was really craving bad carbs this weekend, pad thai, lo mein, pizza, but it's the one thing I won't let myself have. I feel like even having one small carb will be a very slippery slope. "

"I am a VERY happy Dukaner this morning!!!! I am so glad I started my fitness plan last night!"

"I need to loose 15 lbs in a relatively short period of time (less than a month) and [Dukan] is the only way I know how"

This is really all over the place and more than a little worrisome.

I'm vegan and commend the OP on her journey to veganism and the HIGH CARB life. I understand that most of you here on a SAD diet will resist and not understand the way of thinking of veganism, high carb or why people eat raw.

I'm not denying the OP may have orthorexia- an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy.
    80/10/10 IS HEALTHY MACO RATIO. Human breast milk- which is a food that one can live on for the rest of their life, only contains 5% calories from protein. This is a time in your life which you are developing the most. Think about that.
    High fat, disguised as high protein diets such as paleo, atkins, etc are the reason most Americans are fat, overweight and sick.

I'm honestly not expecting anyone to get this at all- and expecting to receive backlash if anyone reads this.
    A high carb diet doesn't require calorie restriction. So 10% of calories from protein actually ends up being a lot- if you're eating 2,500 or more calories a day.

The S.A.D. is high in saturated fats and refined carbs. I hardly think the majority of us eat that way here. I know I don't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, when you say 80/10/10, is that your macros setup? Because that is far from a healthy and balanced diet. Your way of eating is taking over your life. If that's not an unhealthy relationship with food, I don’t know what is...

Yup. Disordered eating, revisionist thinking, obsession with eating seriously affecting her personal life, progression from one fad diet to another, unhealthy diet, etc. I'm seeing things like this on her pre-vegan high-protein diet:

"My body does really gravitate towards Dukan naturally. I don't crave carbs at all, but I do crave protein"

"I was really craving bad carbs this weekend, pad thai, lo mein, pizza, but it's the one thing I won't let myself have. I feel like even having one small carb will be a very slippery slope. "

"I am a VERY happy Dukaner this morning!!!! I am so glad I started my fitness plan last night!"

"I need to loose 15 lbs in a relatively short period of time (less than a month) and [Dukan] is the only way I know how"

This is really all over the place and more than a little worrisome.

I'm vegan and commend the OP on her journey to veganism and the HIGH CARB life. I understand that most of you here on a SAD diet will resist and not understand the way of thinking of veganism, high carb or why people eat raw.

I'm not denying the OP may have orthorexia- an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy.
    80/10/10 IS HEALTHY MACO RATIO. Human breast milk- which is a food that one can live on for the rest of their life, only contains 5% calories from protein. This is a time in your life which you are developing the most. Think about that.
    High fat, disguised as high protein diets such as paleo, atkins, etc are the reason most Americans are fat, overweight and sick.

I'm honestly not expecting anyone to get this at all- and expecting to receive backlash if anyone reads this.
    A high carb diet doesn't require calorie restriction. So 10% of calories from protein actually ends up being a lot- if you're eating 2,500 or more calories a day.

The S.A.D. is high in saturated fats and refined carbs. I hardly think the majority of us eat that way here. I know I don't.
    Mothers milk is over 50% fat and high in saturated fat and cholesterol, now what do we do.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think the protein debate opens up a huge can of worms. BUT if you guys are interested here is the World Health Organization's (WHO) report on protein and Amino Acid requirements:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/who_trs_935_eng.pdf

What's there to debate regarding protein? It depends on your goals. Do you *or the people at WHO that created that document even lift??

My sister's a vegan and does a lot of cardio (mostly spinning classes and running hills). So she gets plenty of carbs and enough protein to meet her needs.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think the protein debate opens up a huge can of worms. BUT if you guys are interested here is the World Health Organization's (WHO) report on protein and Amino Acid requirements:

What's there to debate regarding protein? It depends on your goals. Do you *or the people at WHO that created that document even lift??

My sister's a vegan and does a lot of cardio (mostly spinning classes and running hills). So she gets plenty of carbs and enough protein to meet her needs.
    Did you know that Mike tyson is vegan. Also there's a huge community of vegan athletes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPsvF3UOdo
  • neanderthin
    Options

Did you know that Mike tyson is vegan. Also there's a huge community of vegan athletes.
    If you check the forums of all vegan body builder you'll see that they suggest 1g protein for every lb of lean body mass, weird isn't it..........a world away from 10%
  • elfo
    Options
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Why I don't follow a low fat raw vegan diet...

5396342_3625.jpg

5394028_3520.jpg
  • elfo
    Options
    BJ-- cute ;)
    You see that doesn't even look like food to me- like anything I'd want to eat. Everyone should eat what they want and what makes them happy. It's when we're not happy that we need to re-evaluate.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I loved this post, thank you so much for sharing! Of course, not one diet fits all but I am inspired by your resolve and how in tune you are with your body.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Also the chipotle bowl you describe is almost exactly what I get! I always order brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, pico, corn, salsa, guac and lettuce.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OP - thank you for your post. Everyone finds different diet lifestyles that work for them, and clearly this has worked for you. It is a shame that so many that commented were so negative and critical. This is a place to discuss, find support and offer advice. I tried Raw Vegan for 3 months last year, and felt the best I ever have. Unfortunately, my will power was a little on the weak side when it came to being around others that were eating lots of junk and delicious smelling cooked pasta etc, so eventually I fell back into eating whatever. Slowly but surely, i want to get back to eating mostly vegan again.

In any case, i am glad that you have found something that works so well for you and makes you feel happy and healthy! That is what is important!

Actually I'd say most people are concerned rather than critical. It's not what OP is eating but the dangerous mindset she has
  • elfo
    Options
    OP - thank you for your post. Everyone finds different diet lifestyles that work for them, and clearly this has worked for you. It is a shame that so many that commented were so negative and critical. This is a place to discuss, find support and offer advice. I tried Raw Vegan for 3 months last year, and felt the best I ever have. Unfortunately, my will power was a little on the weak side when it came to being around others that were eating lots of junk and delicious smelling cooked pasta etc, so eventually I fell back into eating whatever. Slowly but surely, i want to get back to eating mostly vegan again.

In any case, i am glad that you have found something that works so well for you and makes you feel happy and healthy! That is what is important!

Actually I'd say most people are concerned rather than critical. It's not what OP is eating but the dangerous mindset she has

"Dangerous"??? Ooooh I"m so intrigued, please elaborate.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    Options

Yes. When he was "Iron Mike" he was 5'11" 218 lbs. Its also been documented that the man has a history of mental disorders and has battled depression. After he lost his daughter he gave up a lot of things which also happen to include smoking cigarettes and drinking copious amounts of alcohol. Since then hes lost over 100lbs and isnt anywhere close to his fighting size.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

um, as someone who's been eating paleo for about 6 months, I'll be the first so say that we do not try to 'disguise' the fact we eat a lot of fat. Its openly encouraged, and is in strict contrast to decades of 'fat is bad for you!!' scaremongering. There is also a stickied thread in our group where people have shared the chronic illnesses that magically disappeared when they stopped eating SAD.

You could pin the obesity escalation on any number of things. I've heard it attributed to all of the following:
    - the introduction of HFCS
    - the promotion of that really messed up food pyramid in the 80s-90s
    - the introduction of reduced fat 'diet' food packed with sugar
    - the increase in fast-food restaurants....

So how can you say for certainty that it is any ONE thing? Particularly something that doesn't make sense... people don't get fat eating paleo or atkins, they start dieting BECAUSE they're fat. I'd also say that the diets that are set up to make you fail (think celebrity slim, rapid loss, detoxes) are a bigger problem than ones that recommend eating lots of fresh produce.

I don't care if your macros are opposite to mine. (20C, 40P, 40F) But I do care that you're spouting utter nonsense.
  • elfo
    Options

Yes. When he was "Iron Mike" he was 5'11" 218 lbs. Its also been documented that the man has a history of mental disorders and has battled depression. After he lost his daughter he gave up a lot of things which also happen to include smoking cigarettes and drinking copious amounts of alcohol. Since then hes lost over 100lbs and isnt anywhere close to his fighting size.

What about
    Mac Danzig?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    First I would like to express my appreciation for such a well thought out post. You explained really well what thought processes and experiences got you where you and your regimen are today. I especially appreciate that you are not preachy and did not try to convince anyone to follow your path.
    Even though I don't agree with everything you posted and really could not handle an almost complete raw diet ( even though I eat only whole foods and cook all my meals without exceptions ), I understand and share some of your decisions. I too quit drinking ( except for important occasions like wedding toasts) many years ago, because those years are over for me and now I just get a headache when I drink, so I let it go.I also let go of other foods, because I have no thyroid and a rampant auto immune disease ( active Lupus ).
    . I am glad that you found something that works for you, but still would like to suggest that you do a blood panel at least once a year, because many of us who tend to eat a somewhat extreme diet over a period of time could develop certain deficiencies.
    I really enjoyed reading your post, because I like knowing how others here on MFP make conscious and well thought out for themselves decisions and because it shows that you are willing to take responsibility for your own state of health and fitness.....congratulations.
  • neanderthin
    Options

"Dangerous"??? Ooooh I"m so intrigued, please elaborate.
    It's been expressed over and over again in the thread........maybe read thread again.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    Options

What about
    Mac Danzig?

What about Glenn Danzig?

Since we are posting YouTube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSn0SbQJQI
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your food does not look yummy at all. Good for you losing 56 lbs, though.
    Its a photo of fruit & vegetables......

well that's depressing.

protein-getting-enough-gorilla-bizarrocomiccom__zps8d0b23cd.jpg
    why is there an eyeball in that shrub