What film did you see last?

Options

Replies

• TheFisherKing
    Options
    I honestly felt like Bale didn't deserve the Oscar he won for The Fighter. However, if he wins one for American Hustle I won't complain.

My favorite Bale film will always be AMERICAN PSYCHO though. He does deserve a nod for HUSTLE as he was amazing, especially in the opening scene with the bad hair. Ha.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I honestly felt like Bale didn't deserve the Oscar he won for The Fighter. However, if he wins one for American Hustle I won't complain.

I didn't know he won an Oscar for that.

He was amazing in the machinist.

And batman,he rocked that too :)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    It's tough to say who deserves what as I haven't seen two of the contenders. I will say that Her was an odd film. I mean it was just beautifully written. Some of the phrasing and the dialogue was just incredible. And I can't really fault any of the actors. It was a great story and it was well told. It just somehow felt like it shouldn't be a movie. It felt as if film wasn't the proper medium for it. I'd be shocked if it doesn't win best screenplay, but otherwise it was just ok.
  • SaintGiff
    Options

He did. And he was good in it. It's just that in that year the performance that John Hawkes gave in Winter's Bone was far better.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    took the kids to see Nut Job. It was amusing and rather a cute story.

last adult film was The Book Thief.... definitely would recommend that, thought provoking, quite disturbing, tragic in places but overall a hopeful film with nice characters and an interesting story.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    Dallas Buyers Club. Outstanding. Best movie I've seen this year ( still haven't seen 12 Years or Capt. Phillips ). Honestly felt like, for as good as MM was in that movie, Jared Leto was even better.

I really wanted it to win best pic as it trumped AMerican Hustle and starred THREE names I NEVER thought would be contenders: Jared Leto, Matthew "rom com" McConnaghy and Jennifer Garner. What a beautiful film and career-defining performances from Leto and McConnaghy

It was a better all around film than American Hustle or Gravity. I kind of felt like both of those were just good films with outstanding performances rather than outstanding films. I think that Mcconaughey turned the corner on his career about two years ago. He's taken on quite a few more challenging roles of late. He definitely played against type in both Killer Joe and The Paper Boy ( two very under-rated movies ), and he was also pretty good in Mudd. You definitely can't dismiss him as a romcom guy these days.

Agreed. Saw KILLER JOE in the theater (it was a play first). McConaughey captured the tense insanity of the character.
  • TheFisherKing
    Options

Hawkes is SUCH an underrated and sadly under utilized actor!

He did. And he was good in it. It's just that in that year the performance that John Hawkes gave in Winter's Bone was far better.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ride along, was hilarious :laugh:
  • MissDLynnR
    MissDLynnR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work with the senior population and it was movie day this week they asked to see The Pursuit of Happiness....still a great movie!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Lone Survivor with Mark Whalberg - war movie - would recommend if you like that type of movie

and One Week - Canadian movie - would also recommend - funny and sad - but great
  • TheFisherKing
    Options
    I work with the senior population and it was movie day this week they asked to see The Pursuit of Happiness....still a great movie!

Not COCOON??? Bwahahahahaha!
  • MissDLynnR
    MissDLynnR Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Not COCOON??? Bwahahahahaha!

Oh trust me they have those days too :noway:
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Fruitvale Station, It was a very disturbing film but was a very good film.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I saw "HER" on Tuesday night. I suppose not a movie for everyone but I really liked it. I am going to see Dallas Buyers club this week.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    The Wolf of Wall Street. Outstanding.

This^^^ it sure earned that R eating so beware!!
  • stephsmom93
    stephsmom93 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    American Hustle
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    I think it's clear that some responsible adult needs to start a film geeks group on MFP. And by "responsible adult" I mean someone other than me. But please do send me an invite...
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'd like to find one of you in the states with similar tastes in film to me (subtitled and depressing works well..so does quirky) and then you can let me know if a film is worth watching when the UK gets it weeks later. :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if it was Thor: The Dark World or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Both were awesome.
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    I am all about the subtitled and depressing! Though plenty of depressing doesn't have to be subtitled. You Brits produce some incredible little films. I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but Tyrannosaur was one of my favourite films the year it came out. Olivia Coleman was as good in that movie as I've ever seen any actress be in any movie. It was quite a surprise since she's really just your standard British TV actress. And Boy A? Yeeesh.

The Canadians hold their own as well in the quirky / dark category. Faith, Fraud, and Minimum Wage is now my favourite Christmas movie. Zach Braff did a great little Canadian indie a few years ago called The High Cost of Living. I was also a fan of Down to the Dirt, but that's another one that didn't get a lot of love outside of art house theatres.

What are some of your favourite subtitled / depressing / quirky films? If nothing else maybe you can recommend a few for me, lol.