Eating your exercise calories!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    First of all don't forget the extra "exercise calories" are Not etched in stone, those machines are known for over estimationing calories burned. For example; an article in the Healthy Living magazine did a test on a treadmill, a stair climber, a bike, and an elliptical, all the machines were over estimating calories burned about 30%, So, if it showed burning 300 calories in 30 min's In reality you only burned 210. If you add up all the "extra calories" and eat them as suggested in this thread, It gives a new meaning to eating "empty calories"!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The link about eating exercise calories was written by one of the guys who founded the site *shrugs*

no it wasn't. Banks (now known as ShBoss) is one of our longest and most respected members, but he didn't found the site. Mike did, with help from his brother Al.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    The link about eating exercise calories was written by one of the guys who founded the site *shrugs*

no it wasn't. Banks (now known as ShBoss) is one of our longest and most respected members, but he didn't found the site. Mike did, with help from his brother Al.

Sorry ... I have seen people refer to him many times and since I only recently started assumed he was one of the founding members ... I knew mike was.

Either way, I think that "starvation mode" is a misnomer and that people get all uppity about that term. I wish people would realize that eating is necessary for losing weight and while it may not be "starvation mode, it will slow down your metabolism. I keep giving the car / gas tank analogy but no one seems to understand *shrugs* years of conditioning are at work here. Like I said it took me about 6 weeks and numerous searches thru the message boards to finally get the concept.

Thanks for straightening me out on who Banks is
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    First of all don't forget the extra "exercise calories" are Not etched in stone, those machines are known for over estimationing calories burned. For example; an article in the Healthy Living magazine did a test on a treadmill, a stair climber, a bike, and an elliptical, all the machines were over estimating calories burned about 30%, So, if it showed burning 300 calories in 30 min's In reality you only burned 210. If you add up all the "extra calories" and eat them as suggested in this thread, It gives a new meaning to eating "empty calories"!

I use a Heart Rate Monitor ;) so it's really accurate. Also, people forget that you continue to burn calories when you stop working out and most don't even take that into account so you may actually be consuming LESS ...

So by your example you are saying as soon as you step off a machine "boom" you stop burning calories?

Anyway of course the best way to measure calories burned is with a HRM it's why I got one because I knew that the machines are off and the site estimates are off. Calorie burn has to do with many things, most of which are not taken into account on a machine or a website.

again:

Goal 1200 calories (for me) less exercise calories (example) 784 = net calories consumed for the day 416 calories. In order to make my GOAL that MFP sets for me I need to eat some or all of my exercise calories back to equal that 1200. I just don't understand why y'all can't grasp the math LOL
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sodium - without getting into a link debate, this is what I understand about sodium. 2,500 mg of sodium is based upon a 2,000 calorie diet. So if you are eating more than 2,000 calorie then your sodium will go up a bit as well. If you eat less than 2,000 calories, then it should be less.

Exercise calories - I don't eat all of my exercise calories. Some, not all.

That's all.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    do not eat your exercise cals.... its not good for you... if you want to lose weight

if you want to gain muscle yes eat them

if your Michael Phelps and you need it for energy yes eat all your exercise ... look what he eats ... its crazy but he workout like a machine....

but i want to stress much as possible ... if you want to lose weight do not eat your exercise cals :)

it like your didnt even workout .... how would i put it so you can understand .... ok ok ... you mom ask you to fill the car up with gas ... so you put 10 gallons of gas in and then you drive 3 hours around town with your buddy and bring the car home on Empty... thats like eating your exercise cals :)

i hope that helps :)

I SO DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS POST.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sodium - without getting into a link debate, this is what I understand about sodium. 2,500 mg of sodium is based upon a 2,000 calorie diet. So if you are eating more than 2,000 calorie then your sodium will go up a bit as well. If you eat less than 2,000 calories, then it should be less.

Exercise calories - I don't eat all of my exercise calories. Some, not all.

That's all.

Regarding sodium, it's actually recommended that you consume no more than 2500mg (actually many limits are closer to 2000 - American Heart Association recommends no more than 2300mg/day) REGARDLESS of how many calories you eat. High sodium diets are not good for you - whether you're eating 1200 calories or 3000 a day. Everyone should try to keep sodium levels low.

Here's a good link: http://americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/119618381045822 WhyShldILmtSodium 9_07.pdf (it's to a PDF document)

Easy ways to do this are ditching processed foods and making most your food at home. For the things you do buy canned/processed, look for low/no-salt-added options. For example, I buy canned beans, but only buy the no-salt-added kind.
  • scweegie
    Options
    i do not eat my exercise calories either!!! if i go over a lil bit then i am relieved to have them but if i dont then i think its good!! why would i wanna eat what ive worked so hard to burn off...defeats the purpose if you ask me!! thats when it becomes a thought of...are you working out to get healthy or are you just working out so you can eat more?!?!?! i wanna be healthy! :)

I workout so I can be healthy and so I can eat. If I did not eat my exercise calories I would be consuming anywhere between 200 and 600 calories a day. Which is not healthy at all. MFP sets your total calorie goal each day, mine is 1200. So with food and exercise i need to make sure that 1200 is my final number for the day.

So as I stated if I burned 600 calories in a workout that puts me at 600 calories, so I would need to eat them.

This topic is debated all the time on here. Lots of people struggle because they don't eat enough.

As far as sodium intake, keep in mind what your eating. Is it processed? Also I find the protein level too low, especially if you are active.
  • scweegie
    Options
    crap i don't know how to quote people....

my response is in the quote on my abocve post
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options

I use a Heart Rate Monitor ;) so it's really accurate. Also, people forget that you continue to burn calories when you stop working out and most don't even take that into account so you may actually be consuming LESS ...

So by your example you are saying as soon as you step off a machine "boom" you stop burning calories?

Anyway of course the best way to measure calories burned is with a HRM it's why I got one because I knew that the machines are off and the site estimates are off. Calorie burn has to do with many things, most of which are not taken into account on a machine or a website.

again:

Goal 1200 calories (for me) less exercise calories (example) 784 = net calories consumed for the day 416 calories. In order to make my GOAL that MFP sets for me I need to eat some or all of my exercise calories back to equal that 1200. I just don't understand why y'all can't grasp the math LOL

No Mam that is Not what I'm saying, Let me try and help you understand; we were talking about the "extra workout calories" . The calories burned when you step off the workout machines "Boom" are already allowed as your total daily calories. Also it depends on the brand of MFP that you have that determines how accurate it is.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    @misttimg No, I do understand what you are saying. Really I do.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Some great points in this thread that indirectly relate to this subject: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/117726-eating-exercise-cals-slowing-your-weight-loss-read-this

Some things to consider per-se.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I eat about 75% of mine and it worked for me. I've never felt better and never hungry, lots of energy. I also drink my water. Now I have not been logging my food and I have not been consistent but when I lost 7 lbs in 5 weeks, I did exactly as I was taught but my friends here. My personal experience. I do recommend it but everyone has a choice to pick their own way;) Denise