Is there a such thing as being too overweight to dance?

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    GoGranny.gif

No such thing ........ have a great time !
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    If you know it helps and love doing it then DO IT! Atleast you will be doing something and something that you love to do as well! Will make it easier to stick with too. Even heavy people do zumba so why not other dances as well??? I enjoy zumba, personally.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So, I appreciate the overwhelming support of this post. You're all wonderful and you've made me feel much more confident. I found a dance class I'm going to start. :) Super excited. Begins in two weeks. I emailed them to ask about shooooe choice. I'd eventually LOVE to find a reggaeton class.

To the "are you serious" question, yes. Yes I was. And you know, It's not uncommon for people to feel this way. I'm glad I posted this so maybe it encouraged someone like me. I'm working on my self esteem and self confidence. There are plenty of other people here working on their's too. I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever wonders things like this to the point of never joining a dance class.

You are so right. A lot of people feel this way. I am glAd you posted this. I really hope it inspires people to try something they love.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm considered obese as well (5'9", 230 lbs) and I love to dance. I don't do as much any more due to lack of time and venues in my small town, but I did mostly ballroom and West Coast Swing. I was at this weight when I was dancing at least once a week. I did feel a little uncomfortable around all the thin girls, but that was my own insecurity not because any one made me feel bad. Most people are there to dance and don't really care what you look like. I made myself do it anyway because I loved it. My only other problem with dancing while overweight was my cardio endurance. I got winded pretty easily after a fast song and would have to sit out a couple. I was also a smoker at the time, so that didn't help.

So, from one overweight dancer to another: just do it, have fun, and it'll just get easier with time.
  • alwaysdance
    alwaysdance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO OVERWEIGHT TO DANCE!!!! Trust me, I'm a salsa instructor and dance fanatic! I've met dancers from literally all over the world, with ever body type and ranging from 7 to 85 years old. The people who make the best dancers and have people lining up to dance with them are the ones who are willing to leave it all on the dance floor. Now for the part that will blow your mind, THESE ARE OFTEN LARGER WOMEN!!! Lets face it, salsa is about shaking what your momma gave ya, doesn't work so well if there is nothing to shake!

Feel free to add me if you want some extra dance support, I'm all about spreading the salsa-love. Just a heads-up, I've been called a salsa-pusher.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Alright, so here we go: I loved dancing. I still day dream about it all of the time, though I've never been awesome at it. I'm currently obese, 218 lbs. I'm eating better, and I try to exercise like normal... but I hate my exercises. Routine exercising is not fun for me, but I know in the past I've lost weight via dance without even changing my diet. (When I started at like 170 and got down to 156.) I am still going to eat better, obviously, because I want to be healthy.... BUT am I too overweight now to dance? Will I be able to even perform most dance moves properly? I am a little scared nothing will look right because of how heavy I am. I'm also scared I'll be judged for it if I take classes. Maybe I'm being silly. @_@ I want to do this though. Dancing used to make me SO happy.

It'd be encouraging to hear from someone who started kind of where I am! Or maybe even advice on which dance types to start with....

Note: Don't like zumba or workout dances like hip hop abs. I like normal dancing of all varieties where technique is put before calorie burning.

Depends. What kind of dancing? What level of difficulty? If you're 400 pounds you're probably not going to be able to dance en pointe and do the splits. You might be able to do some basic stuff but yes your size will affect your form eventually.

And objectively speaking, a heavier weight means you're going to have to be a lot stronger than you otherwise would need to be for some things, simply because there's more of you to move.

At your weight, I think you're probably fine for most things. I wouldn't expect to do the splits on the first day if you can't already though! That takes months of daily work.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    amazing-pole-dancing-heifer-o.gif

**Not posting this as a mocking image. She's clearly enjoying herself dancing, even though you'd never think of an overweight pole dancer. She makes it work, her moves are graceful. Whatever type of dance you decide to do just enjoy it, screw what anyone else thinks, do this for you.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    amazing-pole-dancing-heifer-o.gif

**Not posting this as a mocking image. She's clearly enjoying herself dancing, even though you'd never think of an overweight pole dancer. She makes it work, her moves are graceful. Whatever type of dance you decide to do just enjoy it, screw what anyone else thinks, do this for you.

I didn't think it was. :) I thought she looked really natural, actually. I was like " Dang, that's actually a little impressive." Then I thought about taking some classes of that myself.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will comment on the martial arts. I absolutely think you should go for it. I was into Taekwondo years ago and did lose weight, but that was not my aim, it was just something fun to do. Basically, levels of difficulty are easily spotted by what belt your wear, and being that you start with no belt, you are going to be doing the basics for the first few months, which I believe is easy enough for grandma to do :). I was intimidated when I first started but before I knew it, I got pretty good with the bo staff, and I was breaking boards!!--which is not as hard as you think it would be, by the way :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yeah, honestly, it also completely discourages me from trying out a martial art. I'm hoping that dancing could lead to me trying one of those out as well. I just found a salsa class I'm going to sign up for before I can talk myself out of it. Maybe this could serve as an inspiration to others? I dunno'! I'm just hoping it'll be fun. :)

Don't be afraid to do anything you love to do - I joined a karate class once and liked the workout but I am from a small town so the class had a lot of young people in it and I was in my 30's so I dropped it not because I was uncomfortable doing the work but because the class was full of teens and young teens. Sad but true - I have been looking at what kinds of things are available to do once or twice a week and there isn't much. It sucks living in a small town!
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You should!! Pole fitness classes are incredible. They're fun and it works your entire body, you'll get into great shape and gain strength and confidence in yourself and your body!
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat at you. I want to lose and love to dance. I was doing the treadmill, tried to make it less boring with music first and then Netflix. I easily lost interest. Then I got a Wii last year and have enjoyed using it more to get fit. I got Just Dance and dance at home and have been able to stay motivated.

You can do it! I wish you the best of luck! I will add you as a friend!
  • DatPanna
    Options
    I am in the same boat at you. I want to lose and love to dance. I was doing the treadmill, tried to make it less boring with music first and then Netflix. I easily lost interest. Then I got a Wii last year and have enjoyed using it more to get fit. I got Just Dance and dance at home and have been able to stay motivated.

You can do it! I wish you the best of luck! I will add you as a friend!

Just got your add request and accepted. :) I have the same issues with normal exercise! I saw you want to exercise on Saturdays, why not look for a cheap, local dance class too on Saturdays? I mean, wouldn't hurt! Of course Just Dance is crazy fun and I would enjoy doing just that myself, haha! (Hence why I want an xbox one so bad.)
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I started ballet I was 215, the things I wasn't able to do were much more about inexperience rather than my weight. Ballet has been a great motivator to keep the weight off.
  • DatPanna
    Options

Don't be afraid to do anything you love to do - I joined a karate class once and liked the workout but I am from a small town so the class had a lot of young people in it and I was in my 30's so I dropped it not because I was uncomfortable doing the work but because the class was full of teens and young teens. Sad but true - I have been looking at what kinds of things are available to do once or twice a week and there isn't much. It sucks living in a small town!

Is there a local community college near you? If so, they might have a karate course you could take. The age group would be older, probably 20's-40's usually. Of course, you'd have to talk to the college about just registering for one course, lol. But it's an idea!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you ever get the chance to take belly dance, you have to try it! There are a lot of larger bellydancers :) It's a wonderful workout.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    If you ever get the chance to take belly dance, you have to try it! There are a lot of larger bellydancers :) It's a wonderful workout.

Seriously???? I mean, I like belly dancing, but I surely thought I was too overweight for that one. I've NEVER seen a large belly dancer...... Maybe I should look that up online. That would be fun.
  • mightywoods
    mightywoods Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suffer from White Girl Syndrome so I don't dance unless drinks are involved :smile:

:laugh:

elaine-dance-o.gif

Haha that's so me!
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    No Way!!! Make the most of life at every stage!!!!:bigsmile:
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as being too overweight to dance. anyone that is 22-29 I would dance with regardless of their size. Size to me does not matter to me all that matters is that one special moment where I am dancing in the hands and arms of the young woman I am dancing with and making that moment special