BEST weight loss advice!!!!! Simple & easy

Options

Replies

• bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

Actually, I've always wondered about the meds thing. It seems that people say "LAW says: calories in vs. calories out, no exception" UNTIL there's talk of certain birth control pills or oral steroids, etc. So, what happens with those drugs--do they just cause the people to eat more without them knowing it, or does it make them sit on the couch more without them noticing? (Serious question; no snark)

I have been on a steroid regimen, a few times in the past couple years for my multiple sclerosis symptoms, and even if I stick to my diet and exercise routine, I gain weight... not only that, my face gets chubby and my mid-section expands... I don't know if there is additional water retention or if it in some way alters my metabolism or something, but the weight gain is noticeable and real... no matter how much or little I eat, or how much or little I work out.

There are other factors to weight loss, especially for those on medications. If it's that simple, there wouldn't be plateaus in weight loss.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Then why did I stop losing weight when I was eating too few calories and start losing it again when I upped my calories? And why did I again stop losing it when I started lifting heavy things? What's the simple equation for those scenarios?

As a sort of newbie here (but not to message boards in general), I definitely can see how seeing the same questions over and over again would be annoying. There would be about half the number of threads if people used the search function.

But if weight loss really was that simple, this site wouldn't exist.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss

Calories out = calories in ---> Maintain weight

Calories out < Calories in ---> Weight gain

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....

It annoys me when people complain about posts! We are all here to help each other! Weight loss is more complicated than that else we all wouldn't be here! You don't seem like a very patient person. I suggest you find another message board....like for intolerant impatient people!!!

I don't think people would have as much of an issue with these posts if the people posting them would:

1) Look at the page and notice the other 10 posts on the SAME subject

2) Be willing to take advice and not get pissy with those giving it when it is not what they want to hear

If people want help, then they need to do a few things to get it.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options

That's all. This should get rid of 99% of stupid posts of people complaining they are not losing weight even though they are at a deficit....

Interesting in its simplicity, however I do have a question based on what you said. If someone is "at a deficit" as you say, I assume they would be in the "Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss" category, right? IF this is the case, why, then, are they not losing weight?

I believe what you posted is a great rule of thumb, however there are additional factors which can confound such a straight-forward paradigm.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Oversimplified post is oversimplified.

As a general (very, very, general) rule, sure.

But it's the quality of calories in. Eating 1200 calories of chocolate bars every day may allow you to lose a little weight, but your body won't be in good shape. It's all about nutrition and what your body needs.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are missing the OP's point. He did not say this is an absolute or that the whole world exists in a vacuum, or that there are not exceptions. For the majority of the posts about stalled weight loss, one or more of the following seem to apply from what I've observed:

1. The person doesn't have an actual diagnosed medical condition
    2. The person is underestimating their calorie intake
    3. The person is overestimating their exercise calories
    4. The person has set an unrealistic weight loss goal
    5. The person is not using the MFP or TDEE formulas properly
    6. The person is just looking for a quick fix
    7. The person is has not yet reached the point where they really want to lose weight and are willing to put in the hard work
    8. The person is not willing to accept that they might be wrong about their food intake, numbers, process, etc, and simply argues with everyone offering constructive advice while thanking everyone who placates them. This usually ends with the OP and a few others being upset that everyone is "so rude."

Yes, everyone is different and we all have different ways of approaching our weight loss and different issues we need to take into account. It may be more difficult for some people to create that deficit than others for whatever reason, but you can't lose weight when your calories are at or above maintenance. Just because it may not be as simple as "eat less, move more" for you doesn't mean that you don't need to be in a calorie deficit to lose. That's all he is saying. The calorie deficit has to be there in order to see results.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You can lie down on your couch and not move all day.

You eat 4 slizes of cheese pizza totalling 1200 kcal as your only meal.

You will lose weight. If you have a medical condition, that is a different problem, but 99% of obese people do not.

It's not a black and white issue.

You can hate on me for being so critical and harsh all you want, but not everybody here needs ' support'. People just need to hear the cold hard truth. It's Calorie out > calorie in to lose weight.

Stop making excuses.

kudoossssss. My piggy picture's cute, I look at him every day and I crave bacon. Stop hatin' haters
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

a1f0d78fadc07b34ec68ac69dd5b74a07c805fad_m.gif
  • edwardkim85
    Options

Interesting in its simplicity, however I do have a question based on what you said. If someone is "at a deficit" as you say, I assume they would be in the "Calories out > calories in ---> Weight loss" category, right? IF this is the case, why, then, are they not losing weight?

I believe what you posted is a great rule of thumb, however there are additional factors which can confound such a straight-forward paradigm.

People do not lose weight because of these reasons:

1. They do NOT know that packaged food calories are allowed up to 20% margine of error... legally. ( in the US/Canada)

- 400 kcal lean cuisine? It's actually 480 kcal.

2. No scale/ measuring cup

- You think you're eating one CUP of brown rice, which should be 200g and that's 200 kcal? You've actually been eating more. Get a scale.

3. Overestimating exercise calories burnt

- You think your HR monitor kcal burnt or the machine kcal burnt is accurate? No, especially not the latter.

4. Overestimating TDEE

- You think you are 'lightly active' because you walk 30 min - 1 hour to work? No, you are 'sedentary'.

- You think you burn 'about' 2000 kcal / day? No, you actually burn 1700 kcal/day. You find this number by experimenting with diets.

That's all
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You can lie down on your couch and not move all day.

You eat 4 slizes of cheese pizza totalling 1200 kcal as your only meal.

^^I did something along these lines many times (I honestly thought it was the only way).
    I lost weight.
    Unfortunately, I retained lots of fat; as the weight that I lost was part fat and also large part muscle. I also believe that it severely impaired my ability to lose weight/fat in the future.

Sometimes, even if the answer is right, it is the question that is wrong.
    (wow, that sounded so zen)

edit: maybe I should have said that I think it impeded my ability to maintain, because ultimately I always ended up gaining back what I lost and then some, whereas if I had done things properly I would less likely need to try to lose again in the future
  • TheMaryAnn
    Options

It annoys me when people complain about posts! We are all here to help each other! Weight loss is more complicated than that else we all wouldn't be here! You don't seem like a very patient person. I suggest you find another message board....like for intolerant impatient people!!!

I agree that it's not as simple as that.

It annoys me when people are very certain of their opinion - but they are actually wrong.

Even when you show them other examples that undermine their opinion - they don't want to hear it.
  • Staceynjordannharry
    Options
    gd luck:)
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are missing the OP's point.

Nah. I think the point was pretty clear.

I have definitely noticed a group of posters here who seem to have a negative attitude towards people who haven't yet "gotten it". I assume by their posts that they are here because they never needed any help and they are perfect.

Honestly, I don't know if the OP is one of those people. There are a lot of them here and I am pretty new, so I haven't figured out who all of them are yet. But this post smacks of that kind of attitude.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I have definitely noticed a group of posters here who seem to have a negative attitude towards people who haven't yet "gotten it". I assume by their posts that they are here because they never needed any help and they are perfect.

Honestly, I don't know if the OP is one of those people. There are a lot of them here and I am pretty new, so I haven't figured out who all of them are yet. But this post smacks of that kind of attitude.

What is incorrect about a calorie deficit needing to exist in order to lose weight?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    In.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    There are some people who have medical issues or are on meds that mess with their ability to lose weight... However, I think most people don't lose because they are underestimating the number of calories they consume. It's easy to do!

Actually, I've always wondered about the meds thing. It seems that people say "LAW says: calories in vs. calories out, no exception" UNTIL there's talk of certain birth control pills or oral steroids, etc. So, what happens with those drugs--do they just cause the people to eat more without them knowing it, or does it make them sit on the couch more without them noticing? (Serious question; no snark)

I have been on a steroid regimen, a few times in the past couple years for my multiple sclerosis symptoms, and even if I stick to my diet and exercise routine, I gain weight... not only that, my face gets chubby and my mid-section expands... I don't know if there is additional water retention or if it in some way alters my metabolism or something, but the weight gain is noticeable and real... no matter how much or little I eat, or how much or little I work out.

There are other factors to weight loss, especially for those on medications. If it's that simple, there wouldn't be plateaus in weight loss.

I just think that if this is really true (I don't know, which is why I asked), then if some exogenous factor could be introduced (oral steroids) that could have such an effect, then couldn't there also be endogenous factors that could cause a similar effect? And could it be possible that the act of very low calorie dieting could be a means by which such an affect could be set into motion? It just seems that there are enough people who hit a plateau at certain mid-low intakes (not talking about actual starving people), that maybe there IS something that goes on internally and when they later provided testimony that upping calories broke the plateau, why would I not believe them?? I know it's all anecdotal evidence, but it sure shows up often. idk.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options

You will lose weight. If you have a medical condition, that is a different problem, but 99% of obese people do not.

you know this how?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    But if weight loss really was that simple, this site wouldn't exist.
    Actually, for the majority of the overweight population, weight loss really IS that simple. However, simple does not mean easy. That's why most of us are here: to learn the simple facts, and then get support when it's not easy.

For those of you asking "if that equation is true why did I gain weight eating the same way after I started taking a medication?!?!" Well, it's because that medication changed the "calories out" part of the equation...not because the equation is invalid.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

What is incorrect about a calorie deficit needing to exist in order to lose weight?
    Why do you think 65% of the population is overweight and obese?
  • edwardkim85
    Options

Nah, it's just tough love.

I've posted my fair share of encouragement and I'm all about helping.

Whole point is for people to stop being in denial and realize that the very basic/core of dieting is calorie out > calorie in.

A lot of people seem to disregard this fact and assume it's not as simple as that, but it is. It's just an excuse.

It's like learning addition/subtraction in math. If you don't learn how to do those properly, you will never be good at math and you will never be able to do calculus.

Diet is similar. People have to realize and learn the simple concept of calorie out > calorie in. The macros(protein/carb/fat) , exercise, etc are all secondary.

I'm also still on a weight loss 'journey', and by reading thousands of posts and responding hundreds of times, I noticed a pattern of denial and tendency to blame others when weight loss stops or halts... instead of looking at the core reason why that happened.

Anyways, whole point why I made the post sound a bit belligerent is so people can discuss it. I knew full well that a lot of people would be annoyed and 'hate' the attitude.

But it's tough love right? I have no regrets

;p

Calorie out > calorie in people. No black and white here. Oldest trick in the book.