Is there a such thing as being too overweight to dance?

Options

Replies

• quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Any excuse not to dance is a good one.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I know a lady who teaches belly dancing and she's well over 200 pounds. She can do the moves and she loves it so more power to her!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you won't know if moves are difficult until you try them! Also, a challenge means there is room to grow, so it's not necessarily a bad thing...

Go for it and deal with injuries IF they come up. :)

I've seen some overweight people who were surprisingly amazing dancers (way better than I will ever be) on the audition shows of so you think you can dance. Luckily, the judges always commend people, regardless of size, as long as they are good. Unfortunately, they really are looking for people to become or who are already professional dancers, so I haven't seen any overweight people make the show. I think it has to do with lifts, maybe? Unfortunate.
  • Iwantchange_22
    Iwantchange_22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yes. its when your so obese you cant move.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You can dance if you want to!

YzEolTB.jpg
  • MsValerieAnne
    MsValerieAnne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, no. You may not be able to do all of the moves you want too do, but you can dance other moves/do other dances. :)
  • cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No such thing; just do it at your own momentum and level. Try Jazzercise. It is aweome.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard the sunscreen song? It was a speech made into a song with some great advice in it. Part of the advice given in the song was:

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can
    Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it
    It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own
    Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room

Great advice!
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I joined a women's gym because I could never feel comfortable in a co-ed gym and eventually, I would drop out and stop going. I'd waste the membership. So this year I made a decision to find a gym that was for me where everyone is the same and doesn't judge you. The women's gym was the best decision I ever made because I met young, old, fat, thin and people like me there. Everyone is really encouraging and it didn't make me self conscious anymore.

IF you have a women's gym, maybe you can ask for a 7 day free trial pass to see how you like it. Most gyms will give that to you. Check out their classes. They might have dance classes, zumba and a bunch other classes.

IF you love to dance, you should just keep doing it. Forget what other people say. People can be hurtful without thinking. Do what you love.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    chris-farley-chippendales-o.gif
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat at you. I want to lose and love to dance. I was doing the treadmill, tried to make it less boring with music first and then Netflix. I easily lost interest. Then I got a Wii last year and have enjoyed using it more to get fit. I got Just Dance and dance at home and have been able to stay motivated.

You can do it! I wish you the best of luck! I will add you as a friend!

I have three of the Just Dance for Wii. I have been trying to get an hour of exercise a day since starting my weight loss journey in late July 2013. I dance because it is fun, it makes me less stressed and it is definitely burning calories and toning me up.

Just find whatever type of dance works for you and keep at it.
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Worrying what ppl think of you will get you in an unhappy place love... I live by it's never a right or wrong time to show how good you.feel... go dance your life away...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I weigh 225 pounds and dance regularly. Zumba, line dancing, hoop dancing, all kinds of swing, blues...

The only dance style I feel uncomfortable with is tango, which requires putting more weight on your partner than any other style I am familiar with.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Wow, more replies? Did not see that coming. I suppose that's good though! I LOVED that dance video that was posted. Amazing. Also, I had no idea about that with Tango, but then again, I haven't really thought that much about taking tango lessons. Riiiight now, my top two are salsa and belly dancing! (Salsa first though, get some courage built up. :D )
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Girly, I started *pole* dancing at a higher weight than you are now. You'll be fine.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Wanna dance? Dance! Dancing is awesome and people will bla-blah no matter what. I was 25lbs heavier when I started ballet. Just be nice to your joints.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you ever get the chance to take belly dance, you have to try it! There are a lot of larger bellydancers :) It's a wonderful workout.

Seriously???? I mean, I like belly dancing, but I surely thought I was too overweight for that one. I've NEVER seen a large belly dancer...... Maybe I should look that up online. That would be fun.

My old instructor was a good 250 lbs easy. I'm around way more "heavy" belly dancers than I am thin ones so much so that the skinny girls are the ones that stick out in the group. You WANT a little bit of fluff to Bellydance, you get way more applause.