What they don't tell you about losing weight

Options
I thought since there are so many new members around, I would start this. I have seen similar threads before, and it's always nice to know you aren't alone in this.

Things they don't tell you:

1) even when you get close to your goal weight, you will probably still feel like your old, overweight self a lot of the time.
2) this is so much harder emotionally than you ever could imagine.
3) you will want to quit. You will want to give up. There will be days, weeks, or even months where you question everything you are doing.
4) you will get a lot of unwanted/unsolicited advice from those you work with and those you love. Take it all with a grain of salt.
5) it won't happen overnight. It won't happen in a week. It takes time, patience, and determination.
6) even when you get to your goal, your body probably won't look the same as it did when you were at that weight 10-20 years ago. Gravity and time are not your friend and it takes awhile to accept your new, healthy body for what it is.
7) you feel more unsure and insecure in the new body than in the old. Possibly because of attention you didn't receive before or your body doesn't look the way you hoped it would.
8) REWARD yourself for little non-scale victories and small losses. Do not reward yourself with food.
9) it takes WORK. lots and lots of work.

My favorite quote: Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want RIGHT NOW.

It's taken me 3 years to get where I'm at and I'm no where near where I want to be. It takes a lot of soul searching to be on this journey.

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I love #6.. gravity is NOT my friend nor do I want to be as thin as I was.. My goal weight is actually about 20lbs higher..it was the weight I was when I first considered myself getting fat.. ahhh..to be that fat, again..
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I love #6.. gravity is NOT my friend nor do I want to be as thin as I was.. My goal weight is actually about 20lbs higher..it was the weight I was when I first considered myself getting fat.. ahhh..to be that fat, again..

lol!!! I look at myself now and think I thought I was fat back then! Crap I would give anything for this to have been my highest weight!!!!
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    1st off I love your screen name
    And deffinatly agree! With alllll of it <3
  • Lmsciera22
    Options
    I love the quote! Thanks for sharing!
    Options
    :smile: thanks.
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Needed to see this today, thanks!!
  • brooookeexo
    brooookeexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is one of my favorite quotes that i always try to keep in mind! Thanks for sharing!
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have the time! And thank you so much for sharing. My mom always says to me it is a short term struggle for a long term gain. At 23 if I take 5 years to get healthy (as well as learn how to be healthy sustainability), I get to benefit from it for the next what.....50 years? Seems short in the scheme of things.
    Options
    Needed to see this today, thanks!!

You are most welcome!! Little reminders are nice once in a while ????
    Options
    That is one of my favorite quotes that i always try to keep in mind! Thanks for sharing!

It's my wallpaper on my phone. It's amazing how true it really is and how easily we forget it. We are so trained to expect instant gratification that when we don't get it, we really overreact.
    Options
    Girl, I have the time! And thank you so much for sharing. My mom always says to me it is a short term struggle for a long term gain. At 23 if I take 5 years to get healthy (as well as learn how to be healthy sustainability), I get to benefit from it for the next what.....50 years? Seems short in the scheme of things.

You have a wise mom! You are right on target, too. If I would've stuck with it at your age, I wouldn't be where I'm at right now. I let life be an excuse and get in the way. I've sure missed out on a lot in those 11 years.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Great job! You've come a long way :)
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Excellent post... 10/10

I have been at my goal for 1.5 years now after taking 13 months to get to it.

#1 was by far the hardest for me. It wasn't until this month I realized I had stopped thinking of myself as still fat even though I was 190 pounds.
  • sndy_xo
    Options
    Great post! Very motivational
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

You have a wise mom! You are right on target, too. If I would've stuck with it at your age, I wouldn't be where I'm at right now. I let life be an excuse and get in the way. I've sure missed out on a lot in those 11 years.
    I have let SCHOOL get in the way! In 7 months I start back to my next and final degree. I want to learn how to live a healthy life before that craziness starts.
    Options
    I love this post! Great job! You've come a long way :)

Thank you......... I was feeling very crappy today and it lead to some great thoughts to ponder.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I totally agree with number 1. I am a long way off my goal (well, half way towards my first goal) and still sometimes look at myself and see me exactly as I was 5 months ago. When I was feeling like this a few weeks ago I took a photo of myself and compared it to one I took when I started getting healthy and couldn't believe the difference.

Thanks for the extra motivation :)
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Spot on, OP.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    #1, #2 and #4... I'm relieved to know I'm not alone! Great post! :flowerforyou:
    Options
    Excellent post... 10/10

I have been at my goal for 1.5 years now after taking 13 months to get to it.

#1 was by far the hardest for me. It wasn't until this month I realized I had stopped thinking of myself as still fat even though I was 190 pounds.

Congrats!!! You look great!!

It seems to take everyone a very long time to accept the new image. I've slowly been losing for 3 years with lots of stumbling along the way and some days I feel hot and skinny, but most days I feel frumpy, fat, and ugly still. Weird how our mind changes so slowly.