I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The final hurdle for me continues to be in the locker room. Not growing up with sports or even using the gym in college, I find the locker room the most intimidating. Yes, yes, we all have the same parts. But I’m just not ready for that much exposure – neither of myself nor of the other women. Maybe because I’m at work?

Face the lockers when you change. Or you can be the douche that changes in the bathroom stall or shower until you get past your discomfort. If the locker room doesn't have curtains on the showers, you may need to consider a different gym. 'Cos that's just ridiculous.

Why is it douchy to change in the bathroom or shower? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    [/quote

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, and why is" cos that's ridiculous"?
  • shnookie70
    shnookie70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Saving! Great info! Thanks for the book recommendations!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The final hurdle for me continues to be in the locker room. Not growing up with sports or even using the gym in college, I find the locker room the most intimidating. Yes, yes, we all have the same parts. But I’m just not ready for that much exposure – neither of myself nor of the other women. Maybe because I’m at work?

Face the lockers when you change. Or you can be the douche that changes in the bathroom stall or shower until you get past your discomfort. If the locker room doesn't have curtains on the showers, you may need to consider a different gym. 'Cos that's just ridiculous.

Why is it douchy to change in the bathroom or shower? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

When there's not that many stalls, you'd be the one hogging the bathroom or shower stall when someone actually needs to shower or pee... Isn't that just a bit douchy? Well I think it is. Well I also get dressed in the stall after a shower, so there!

To the other poster, I think it's a bit ridiculous for shower stalls to not have curtains. Should at least have some privacy when showering. Most I've been to certainly have them, no need for the modest gal to be stuck in one without!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

When there's not that many stalls, you'd be the one hogging the bathroom or shower stall when someone actually needs to shower or pee... Isn't that just a bit douchy? Well I think it is. Well I also get dressed in the stall after a shower, so there!

Meh. If someone is waiting I can see that but that has never happened once in all my time going to the gym. People have different comfort levels when it comes to nudity and I can respect someone's need to change in private. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks:) I've always 'hidden' in the . Ladies gym and made do with next to no equipment. Next time I go I'm going to remember this post and go where the decent equipment is!! So what if I can't lift as heavy as others, I'm always doing my best!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Meh. If someone is waiting I can see that but that has never happened once in all my time going to the gym. People have different comfort levels when it comes to nudity and I can respect someone's need to change in private. *shrug* :ohwell:

Agreed! I would certainly prefer to see her change in private than not go to the gym at all. The bathroom in my gym only has three stalls and I've certainly seen them all occupied on more than one occasion. Perhaps it is I who should look into another gym :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Agreed! I would certainly prefer to see her change in private than not go to the gym at all. The bathroom in my gym only has three stalls and I've certainly seen them all occupied on more than one occasion. Perhaps it is I who should look into another gym :laugh:

I don't think it's douchey to find a private space at the gym to change if you want to. I personally favor the face the lockers and keep my eyes to myself method, but I don't think anything of women that prefer to change privately. I figure there always could be some religious reason they prefer modesty, or they're just not comfortable, whatever- no skin off my back either way. I've certainly felt self-conscious about my own body at times and am empathetic to people going through that.

I do, however, consider the nekkid conversationalists douchey. There's a chick at my gym in the morning and if you have the misfortune of going in the locker room while she's there, she'll trap you in a 10 minute conversation with her vagina out, putting her legs up one by one on the bench to put lotion on and everything. Please don't do this to people. Pretty much anything else in the locker room is fair game- just do what you gotta do.

Girl at my gym, if you're reading this and know who you are, STAHP IT PLEASE. I don't want to talk to your vagina.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The toilet stalls and showers are always open at my gym. No one would notice or care what you are doing in there. Do what you feel comfortable with! No one will care. It's actually a great idea.
  • JennMairi
    JennMairi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who lifts a lot and I've chatted to him about starting. He said that everyone gets judged to a certain extent when they start unless it's obvious that they're learning, so he's offered to teach me and be my 'shield' from nosy judging lifters!

I have two worries - one, that I would be ruining his workout for him by making him hang around and help me, and two, finding the time! I mostly work out at uni after lectures either by taking classes (spinning mostly, sticking in other things here and there like zumba or body combat when I fancy something different) or by swimming. There's a women's only free weights class on the timetable, but it's only once a week and it clashes with lifesaving training so I can't go! I'm concerned that going elsewhere would eat into more time that I don't really have to spare since I'm in my final year and supposedly writing a dissertation and preparing for a hideous amount of language exams!

Actually I lied, I have a couple more concerns - one, I'm moving to Germany next year and don't know if I'd be able to continue lifting where I'll be living. What happens if you lift for a few months and then stop? Will I lose the strength and pile weight back on?
    Two - I know I won't get bulky and that lifting is amazing for your body. BUT will the scale drop much at all? I'm not worried in terms of measuring progress, it's purely that I'm in a 6 month diet bet and don't want to lose the money!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who lifts a lot and I've chatted to him about starting. He said that everyone gets judged to a certain extent when they start unless it's obvious that they're learning, so he's offered to teach me and be my 'shield' from nosy judging lifters!

I have two worries - one, that I would be ruining his workout for him by making him hang around and help me, and two, finding the time! I mostly work out at uni after lectures either by taking classes (spinning mostly, sticking in other things here and there like zumba or body combat when I fancy something different) or by swimming. There's a women's only free weights class on the timetable, but it's only once a week and it clashes with lifesaving training so I can't go! I'm concerned that going elsewhere would eat into more time that I don't really have to spare since I'm in my final year and supposedly writing a dissertation and preparing for a hideous amount of language exams!

Actually I lied, I have a couple more concerns - one, I'm moving to Germany next year and don't know if I'd be able to continue lifting where I'll be living. What happens if you lift for a few months and then stop? Will I lose the strength and pile weight back on?
    Two - I know I won't get bulky and that lifting is amazing for your body. BUT will the scale drop much at all? I'm not worried in terms of measuring progress, it's purely that I'm in a 6 month diet bet and don't want to lose the money!

Your friend offered to help and will enjoy it, so don't worry about that. They offered for a reason.

Lifting takes less time than any type of cardio gym class.

There is nothing to worry about if you start and stop. If you start and stop, you will gain the benefits of it for quite a while. It will decrease weight gain, not increase. And why worry about that...what if you love it and love the results (I did). You can always continue with doing strength training that just uses your body weight.

I don't know anything about how weight loss bets work. But, if it means losing your muscle and having long term struggles with lack of shape, loose skin, flabbiness, fat lumps instead of firm muscle...then what's more important the money or your long term happiness, and body shape. But aside from that, you will not gain, if you are eating at a deficit. You will simply lose more fat and retain muscle.

yes- you are taking his time up- but he offered. Don't abuse it - be grateful- take him to lunch or buy him a six pack and just keep learning. Don't nag- but be communicative. (hey I lifted the other day and it was great- thanks for your help- or I was planning on going on Sunday if you are free- if not that's okay- that sort of thing)

They have gyms and free weights in Germany too ;)

considering she said it was at her work- I agree being in the locker room with people you work with is weird.

I am pretty comfortable with myself- but I would find that wildly uncomfortable. There is absolutely no way I would want to be nekkids in front of my boss or co-workers.

I also find it a little uncomfortable because I know people get skeeved out with the commando thing and I don't wear under pinnings under my capris. So yeah- 9/10 I go pee- and change my pants in one feel swoop- go out and do the rest of it at my locker.

Everyone has their own comfort level- do what you have to do- don't let that hold you back from improving your body- there are ways around it!!!
  • JennMairi
    JennMairi Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Lifting takes less time than any type of cardio gym class.

It's the travel time I'm more worried about. If I'm already on campus then going to an hour long class takes just that hour. If I go elsewhere to lift, I have to factor that time in. My friend lifts at a different gym, because our uni gym gets pretty crowded (with massive 'bro' type lifters!) and the membership's pretty pricey, which is also a problem.

There is nothing to worry about if you start and stop. If you start and stop, you will gain the benefits of it for quite a while. It will decrease weight gain, not increase. And why worry about that...what if you love it and love the results (I did). You can always continue with doing strength training that just uses your body weight.

That helps, thanks! If I find some videos and do body weight strength training at home for now, will that have a similar, if not as extreme, effect?
    yes- you are taking his time up- but he offered. Don't abuse it - be grateful- take him to lunch or buy him a six pack and just keep learning. Don't nag- but be communicative. (hey I lifted the other day and it was great- thanks for your help- or I was planning on going on Sunday if you are free- if not that's okay- that sort of thing)

I think I'll have to pay him in chicken... he's big on protein and doesn't drink!
    They have gyms and free weights in Germany too ;)

Haha sorry, just realised it kinda looks like I was all 'oh my gosh Germany is sooooooooo weird they don't even have gyms what?' when what I really meant was 'the closest gym with free weights I can find (with google) is a 45 minute walk away, I won't have a car and I don't think I'll be able to afford membership since they don't have prices listed and I'm not technically going to be getting paid next year!' Also I don't know what the neighbourhood's like. I guess I could run to the gym, but it's along a pretty busy road by the looks of things. Not sure how much free time I'll have either, and a round trip of an hour and a half rather limits how often I could go and how long I could stay.
  • desgmz
    desgmz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am a regular in the 'boys' gym, I started my stronglift training yesterday Squats, Barbell Rows and Bench Presses.

When it came to bench pressing all benches were full (this was at 6.30 in the morning!!), so I walked up to this guy and asked him how many sets he had left as he had been on the bench a while....he just gave me a proper dirty look, grunted at me - which translated to 'One set', what a miserable sod!!

And then when he was finished the cheeky bastid didn't even bother to take his weights back off....but in hindsight - I can actually bench more than him....made me giggle - childish I know!!!!:smile:
  • JolienvanH
    JolienvanH Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    but in hindsight - I can actually bench more than him....made me giggle - childish I know!!!!:smile:

That made me laugh! I love it when you see those guys loving themselves in the mirror and you look at their weights and you do more.
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The Iron does not care what your color, sex, religion, or any other label you can throw at it. The Iron can be the light in the darkest of times, and your deadliest enemy in others. Each disciple of the Iron way, has their own journey, and their own demons. We cleanse our mind and bodies with our sweat. Chit chat is for the weak it the Iron dojo. Clock in and get to work, the Iron does not care how much more you can lift than your other brothers and sisters.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread?!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This thread is GREATNESS oveload, period!

I'm the also the only woman who lifts in the "boys" area. I say boys because my gym is in the high school complex and my gym pals are mostly teenagers. At the beginning they were looking from the corners of their eyes if they see right :tongue: , but now they are getting used to me. It can be so intimidating and frightfull to move to THAT corner of the gym and set your weights! I wish there was another woman around...or two, or three! The more of us are in the "restricted area" the sooner a woman who can lift more than man will be a normal sight.

Keep going!:drinker:
  • jrowens3224
    jrowens3224 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love this.:heart:

Yes, you may be the only woman there. Yes, you may get some glances (but they glance at each other too) But getting in there and getting it done is far better than wishing you would have. Plus, I have noticed that pretty much everyone leaves each other to their own devices anyway...at least in my gym.