Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Unicorn_29374b_957604.jpg
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    p2245Cm.jpg
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    don't' know which side of the argument this falls on... but here ya go..

http://www.ars.usda.gov/news/docs.htm?docid=15572

Great article on Colony Collapse Disorder, which is a very real problem. But people use it as a scapegoat for things they personally don't like. GMO's in this case. The article even discusses the lengths people went to to try to blame CCD on cell phones, but the science just wasn't there.

As far as we can tell, and as the article states, we just aren't sure what is killing off the bees. At best scientists believe it's a number of causes mixed together. But they can't pinpoint just one. We just don't know.

So that allows people to fill in the blank. Like they do with cancer. Since it's not 100% known what causes the problem people can shoe horn in their own pet projects. "GMO's kill bees, pesticides kill bees, cell phones kill bees..." Since there isn't clear evidence stating that those CAN'T be the cause they take it as evidence that they can. Just bad logic is all.

Point #1. There is absolutely no research establishing a scientific connection between GMOs and CCD (colony collapse disorder) of bees.

Point #2. The latest scientific research indicates that a plant virus, Tobacco ring spot virus, may be one of the the chief causes of CCD. http://www.earthweek.com/2014/ew140124/ew140124a.html
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When people invoke science in their argument, we should all just respect that and move along.

0n19WLsrLkiE94yiEqq8T2I6h2NwAAAgAAAJX3mgGEAwAAAAAAAI0hCwA=

This is called advertising. ad-ver-tis-ing.
    http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."

This is science.

Actually this is a science fiction writers blog, also 5 mins of google suggests he has a conflict of interest regarding Monsanto.

Not saying that GMO is not safe to eat by the way, I just don't 100% trust Monsanto as a company not to cloud the debate and see no harm in labeling food GMO. Even if GMO was proven 100% safe I would still boycott GMO as patenting crops is a bit of a shady practice.
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You go ahead and eat them then. I don't want to eat them!

Agreed. Go ahead and eat them because I don't want any. Thanks for keeping us medical folks in business! I love the pay ;)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Agreed. Go ahead and eat them because I don't want any. Thanks for keeping us medical folks in business! I love the pay ;)

How many GMO induced illnesses do you deal with in the average week? Out of interest.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

How many GMO induced illnesses do you deal with in the average week? Out of interest.

You beat me to it. I'm interested too.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Literally 100% of them. Since most everyone eats GMOs, I can contribute any disease I feel like to GMOs! I even saw one patient the other day that got the flue from GMOs. They were eating a GMO apple after not getting a flu shot, sitting outside in the cold for an hour, then going to a middle school and nursing home. Clearly the GMO was the cause there.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    BT Corn...which is GMO corn....which is in most food processed in the USA ( if it contains corn or corn by-products) is registered with the EPA as a pesticide.

Pyrethrins are NOT registered with the EPA, but rather Pyrethrins with additives ( synergistic chemicals which increase their effect). And btw....all pesticides registered as pesticides with the EPA? None occur naturally.

Are you saying that corn is harmful to people?

Corn is used to fatten pigs before slaughter. Maybe we should all load up and then complain about our weight gain.

So you're saying if they used potatoes(just for argument) that we shouldn't eat potatoes because they feed them to pigs to fatten them up?

This may be a shock to you but pigs follow the same rules as humans since we are all animals, if the pigs eat more calories than they burn...they get fat, they use corn because it's cheap....
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    GM foods are safe and predictable. The alternative breeding method is to wait for random mutations to improve food, and then you have no idea what you are getting. With GM you know exactly what you have added and what, if any, safety concerns might be present.

So you're saying science trumps mother nature..

Do you have a pet? Bred by humans to be domesticated. Defying Mother Nature.

Organic food? Bred by humans to be as plump and tasty as possible. Defying Mother Nature.

This argument is centuries old. I don't know why people think it's something new...

A lot different than splicing something like fish dna into food to deter pests.

Why? It's changing the genetic makeup of something either way.

Also, have you ever been vaccinated?

Good thing people know a lot about GMO, since no one apparently understands dog breeding.

Any way you splice it, GMO is a grossly artificial manipulation. That alone does not make it bad, but it's certainly nothing like breeding dogs for a purpose. Breeding dogs is a variation on the selective breeding that naturally occurs. It they start splicing DNA from other species, then maybe that dog will hunt...
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump cause I am going to have come back to this later...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    GM foods are safe and predictable. The alternative breeding method is to wait for random mutations to improve food, and then you have no idea what you are getting. With GM you know exactly what you have added and what, if any, safety concerns might be present.

Organic food? Bred by humans to be as plump and tasty as possible. Defying Mother Nature.

This argument is centuries old. I don't know why people think it's something new...

Did you know that everything on this Earth shares some degree of commonality in their DNA? tomatoes have about 7,000 more genes than human beings... but our [human] genes are still approximately 60% the same. As a freakin' tomato.

Your food already has "something like fish DNA" in it. Every time you eat tomatoes you're not committing some weird psychosomatic version of cannibalism.

Science.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What a joke. Just like cigarettes were supposed to be safe.............. Talk to me in 20 years when you have a horn growing out of your head and you glow in the dark. :)

Lmfao. Good one. Did you see the new pigs they genetically engineered in China that glow in the dark? They used a jelly fish gene to do that. I wonder if jellyfish-pigs are safe to eat?? They are because there's no proof yet that they're not safe, lol.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't want to...but i'm in.

homer-simpson-rolling-back-into-car.gif

:laugh:
    yeah
  • raw_meal
    Options
    Some folks really need to read about this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

Who is familiar with how they make insulin?

http://www.dnalc.org/view/15928-How-insulin-is-made-using-bacteria.html

This is a GMO process that has saved thousands of lives since it was first developed. Are you suggesting that the people who use this insulin have unwittingly exposed themselves to toxins or carcinogens or some other evil thing?

Prior to the discovery that bacteria could be genetically modified for this purpose, diabetics had to use insulin harvested from animals. It was not without its rejection symptoms.

Do a little research before believing the biased claims of sensationalists looking to sell books or get some attention.

I read about him and he is a genius.

This is a quote from the wiki and the really cool experiment Mendel conducted on bees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

"He produced a hybrid strain (so vicious they were destroyed)"

"After completing his work with peas, Mendel turned to experimenting with honeybees to extend his work to animals. He produced a hybrid strain (so vicious they were destroyed) but failed to generate a clear picture of their heredity because of the difficulties in controlling mating behaviours of queen bees.[dubious – discuss] He also described novel plant species, and these are denoted with the botanical author abbreviation "Mendel"."

Later on the Brazilians hired geneticist Dr. Warwick Kerrhad who had similar success with the Africanized honeybee.

Without failures you can not have success....
  • raw_meal
    Options

And yet still very much the same.

Also I like fish. As far as I know eating fish doesn't hurt me any. Why do I care if my produce is part fish?

I am going to throw my two cents in, whatever it's worth. I am a microbiologist/bio technologist. I understand these concepts very well. Yes, humans have been altering plants and animals for centuries. But to tell people that GMOs are similar is not accurate. One change we make is to introduce a bacterial gene into plants to make them resistant to certain insects. No matter how many years we bred these plants, this change would not happen in a normal evolutionary setting, at least not using this gene.

Am I afraid of eating GMOs....no. We've been eating them for quite a while now. I am not afraid of any human safety aspect, although with some of them I do worry about an environmental impact (round up resistance). But when we lie, it looks like we are hiding something.

Biotechnology has the capacity to accomplish really great things. Insulin production is a great example. We can use bacteria to produce human insulin, rather than relying on swine or bovine insulin like we did in the past. Everyone should educate themselves to know how these changes truly affect us, and which ones are useful and which ones are not.

The more you know....

What are your concerns on the enviro with roundup?
    Do you have concerns on the ingestion of roundup (AKA does the plant absorb it and do we eat it?) Does this residue of roundup in food have an affect on human gut bacteria?

I have seen a few articles/studies in this area but don't know if they hold water.