weighing food = eating disorder

Options
I was chatting with some family members and we got on the topic of weight loss. I mentioned that since I've been exercising and counting calories, I've lost a few pounds. I started to go into detail about how I weigh my food so I can know how much I'm actually eating, and my aunt said "but only people with eating disorders do that! You'll become anorexic obsessing over food."

Have any of you been told this?
What do you say?

I just switched the subject.

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think I remember someone in my family saying the same thing to me a long time ago. I don't think weighing/measuring is a bad thing. In fact, I think for people on here, it's necessary in order to accurate track. Also, the person who said this to me has gained almost 50 lbs in the last 3 years while I've lost 60 and I'm healthier and fitter than I've been in a long time. Results talk.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Anorexics are afraid of food, not of tracking it. That's a stereotype she has in her head that may not be able to change. Don't let it get to you. I'm proud to say I weight my food and track it. It's the responsible thing to do.
  • sadiebop86
    sadiebop86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a food scale this past weekend. I love it. I now know how much I was overeating in the past. I don't think you need to worry about what your aunt said. Just eat healthy, "proper sized" portions and you'll be fine.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My therapist believes I have disordered eating behaviors due to the fact that I weigh all food, do not go over my calories except planned special occasions, exercise to earn more calories, and weigh myself daily. She didn't decide these were disordered eating behaviors until I became a normal weight. When I was overweight it was reasonable measures to ensure weight loss. Whatever.

Do what works for you. If your habits begin to concern you or others it may be worth taking a step back and seeing if it really is out of control. Do you refuse to eat food that others have made because you don't know the calorie content? Do you experience stress or panic when you are unable to weigh food or yourself? Do you experience anxiety or panic when you go over calories by a very small amount? Do you feel obsessed with food, that thinking about it or planning it takes out a significant portion of your time and has a negative impact on other areas of your life? If the answers are yes, talk to a professional about normalizing your relationship with food. If you feel fine about all those things and are just doing the weighing to ensure accurate portion sizes and nothing more, you're doing exactly what hundreds of people on this website are doing and that's fine.
  • EszterNZ
    Options
    I just purchased a food scale this past weekend. I love it. I now know how much I was overeating in the past. I don't think you need to worry about what your aunt said. Just eat healthy, "proper sized" portions and you'll be fine.

Exactly this! I think weighing food and knowing exactly how much you are consuming is kind of empowering in a way? I too realised just how much I overate in the past.
    It's ok to guestimate, especially once you've learned what a 'normal serving' looks like.
    It's just habit for me now and has been for 10 months and I certainly haven't developed an eating disorder!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting in general can lead to a lot of disordered thinking...obviously it doesn't mean that everyone who counts calories or weighs and measures everything has an ED or disordered thinking, but many do. There is plenty of evidence right here on MFP.

If you can weigh and measure and track your intake while still maintaining and/or developing a healthy relationship with food then it is the best way to go in my estimation...but people often do go down a very dark road when they start doing this stuff. For those that suffer ED, it is generally not recommended to count calories or weigh and measure their portions, etc as it often triggers their disorder.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Do what works for you. If your habits begin to concern you or others it may be worth taking a step back and seeing if it really is out of control. Do you refuse to eat food that others have made because you don't know the calorie content? Do you experience stress or panic when you are unable to weigh food or yourself? Do you experience anxiety or panic when you go over calories by a very small amount? Do you feel obsessed with food, that thinking about it or planning it takes out a significant portion of your time and has a negative impact on other areas of your life? If the answers are yes, talk to a professional about normalizing your relationship with food. If you feel fine about all those things and are just doing the weighing to ensure accurate portion sizes and nothing more, you're doing exactly what hundreds of people on this website are doing and that's fine.

No to all of those. Well, sometimes planning takes some time but mostly because I haven't been weighing for very long so when I decide to make a new meal, I have to figure out serving sizes and math it all together (and even with a calculator I am terrible at math). We also try to plan our meals 2 weeks ahead of time anyway. So once every two weeks we sit down, write out the meals we want, our grocery list, and once we buy everything I have started trying to get the calories/serving sizes written down so I'm not rushing to do it while I'm measuring and cooking.

Once I get all of our usual meals down, it will be much quicker when I'm preparing food.
  • ElizaB84
    Options
    For the record, almost everyone in my family is either overweight or morbidly obese. So anything out of normal is looked as being wrong. For instance a few years ago I got down to 200lbs. When I told my family I wanted to get down to 145, most of them told me that was too skinny and unhealthy.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

No to all of those. Well, sometimes planning takes some time but mostly because I haven't been weighing for very long so when I decide to make a new meal, I have to figure out serving sizes and math it all together (and even with a calculator I am terrible at math). We also try to plan our meals 2 weeks ahead of time anyway. So once every two weeks we sit down, write out the meals we want, our grocery list, and once we buy everything I have started trying to get the calories/serving sizes written down so I'm not rushing to do it while I'm measuring and cooking.

Once I get all of our usual meals down, it will be much quicker when I'm preparing food.

Planning meals and figuring out serving sizes is definitely not an unreasonable measure. Just be on watch if any of those thought patterns emerge with weight loss, it does happen sometimes. But as far as my therapist goes, I just tell her I feel fine about my current habits and do not feel disordered. That usually ends the conversation!
  • ElizaB84
    Options

Planning meals and figuring out serving sizes is definitely not an unreasonable measure. Just be on watch if any of those thought patterns emerge with weight loss, it does happen sometimes. But as far as my therapist goes, I just tell her I feel fine about my current habits and do not feel disordered. That usually ends the conversation!

Thank you I will!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Ask them to explain how someone like me logs food to ensure I eat a minimum of 2600 kcals a day whilst someone I know ensures they eat 5000 kcals a day. Anorexic, my *kitten*.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I think I remember someone in my family saying the same thing to me a long time ago. I don't think weighing/measuring is a bad thing. In fact, I think for people on here, it's necessary in order to accurate track. Also, the person who said this to me has gained almost 50 lbs in the last 3 years while I've lost 60 and I'm healthier and fitter than I've been in a long time. Results talk.

This pretty much sums it up. I have no concept of portion control without weighing it. I've spent 30 years without an intuitive idea of what a portion is, so until I gain that skill, I'll gladly weigh my food.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've been calibrating my brain for many, many months to how much I actually eat. I find it difficult. Weighing my food is part of that mental calibration and I see it as a necessity and therefore a smart practice.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat too much. I do in fact have an eating disorder. I'm overweight. That is why I'm here. Ain't no shame. I'm here and weighing my food to fix that.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think most people on here do (for the record, I don't and still managed to lose around 30 lbs.). I can see how it can become obessesive, but I can also see that some people need to do this in order to manage their intake. To each his own! :happy:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food but its not obsessive. Sometimes if I can I will eyeball it but its not like I carry the scale with me everywhere.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My response to people questioning weighing my food? Usually I just say there is no point in keeping track if you are not going to be accurate. This just assures accuracy in knowing what I am eating, and has absolutely nothing to do with the amount I eat or do not eat. My calorie goals are unrelated. A diabetic always measures their insulin exactly, pharmacists make careers of accurate measurements for meds to ensure optimal use by the body (too little doesnt do the job, too much can harm you). I am just doing the same with food... ensuring I get all I should, but no more.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals I guess. If weighing your food aids you in reaching your goals, why is it considered a disorder?

if I set a montly budget on my spending and I track it through my online bank account, I have a disorder for that as well?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I totally get why people would think that. But unfortunately, for me it's a very valuable tool to keep myself in check, because the alternative is worse.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see her bake a cake if she thinks measuring things is disordered.