What they don't tell you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• ArtemisSusan2013
    Options
    Excellent post! Number six kinda of cracked me up because my goal weight is a weight that I would have been horrified to be at when I was a twenty something lol.

So true. I wish I had appreciated my body when I was at a healthy weight instead of criticizing every dimple and extra pound. I wish I hadn't covered up or let people point out my flaws because they were insecure about themselves. I wish more people had told me to love myself because I deserved it, and we all deserve it. I look back at photos from 5 years ago and only now can I really see how beautiful I was. It breaks my heart to remember how critical I was and how much I thought I needed to change myself. This journey is as much about learning to love and appreciate yourself as it is about becoming healthier.

Well said. Thank you I needed that.
  • alisha0224
    alisha0224 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I have been saying when looking at older pictures
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So true. I wish I had appreciated my body when I was at a healthy weight instead of criticizing every dimple and extra pound. I wish I hadn't covered up or let people point out my flaws because they were insecure about themselves. I wish more people had told me to love myself because I deserved it, and we all deserve it. I look back at photos from 5 years ago and only now can I really see how beautiful I was. It breaks my heart to remember how critical I was and how much I thought I needed to change myself. This journey is as much about learning to love and appreciate yourself as it is about becoming healthier.

This resonates so deeply! Makes me want to read it daily, as a reminder of how I ended up 240 lbs and why I will never be that way again...
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Love this!! And #5 is something I've been telling myself since I started this time around. I've been on and off this roller coaster a few times, and I need to stop letting "stuff" get in the way. I'm pushing myself harder this time around, and trying to remind myself that this will be a slow process.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1) even when you get close to your goal weight, you will probably still feel like your old, overweight self a lot of the time.

This one. I wish someone told me this one. I thought it was going to be a magical confidence boost and I was going to look amazing. Boy was I wrong.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    1) even when you get close to your goal weight, you will probably still feel like your old, overweight self a lot of the time.

This one. I wish someone told me this one. I thought it was going to be a magical confidence boost and I was going to look amazing. Boy was I wrong.

Isn't that the truth?! It's a very odd feeling for me........
    Options
    What they don't tell you is that you'll be Proud!
    Started Jan 1, 2014 at 223, this morning, Jan 27, 2014, the scale showed 213. I'm proud!
    It's only 10 pounds, have 14 more to go, but I'm on a roll now, not going to stop.

Don't say ONLY. 10lb is awesome!!!

10 is incredible!
    Options
    Love this post! So very true! This has been the hardest thing I have ever done emotionally. And no, I don't look or feel the same as I did when I was this weight 12 years ago. At 115lbs, I thought I was fat.....I would give anything to look like that now. 2 babies later, plus a big weight loss, its not going to happen for me. Time for me to accept the fact, and be happy with where I am.

Thanks for posting, I needed this today!

You're very welcome. It is all a very humbling experience..........
    Options
    Excellent post! Number six kinda of cracked me up because my goal weight is a weight that I would have been horrified to be at when I was a twenty something lol.

I relate to this so much
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Love it, thanks for sharing!
  • eleanorblack
    eleanorblack Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yup - I've lost 53lbs and feel exactly the same and most days struggle to see any difference in pics even though clothes sizes tell me I must be smaller :-( Kind of depressing when I still have 100 to go. I'm trying to just keep on going and hope I feel it at some point!
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I can relate to pretty much all of these, also one I've discovered is that you get a lot colder a lot easier. I was never cold last winter...this winter I spent almost all of it wrapped in hoodies and blankets! Less flubber to keep me warm I guess.

And the whole you'll still feel like the old overweight self thing...yup. SO true. I literally catch glimpses of myself in the mirror and do a double take cos I don't believe its me. I still believe that I am over 300lbs even though I am so far from that now.
    Options
    Yup - I've lost 53lbs and feel exactly the same and most days struggle to see any difference in pics even though clothes sizes tell me I must be smaller :-( Kind of depressing when I still have 100 to go. I'm trying to just keep on going and hope I feel it at some point!

Doing great!!! You will get there in time ????
    Options
    I can relate to pretty much all of these, also one I've discovered is that you get a lot colder a lot easier. I was never cold last winter...this winter I spent almost all of it wrapped in hoodies and blankets! Less flubber to keep me warm I guess.

And the whole you'll still feel like the old overweight self thing...yup. SO true. I literally catch glimpses of myself in the mirror and do a double take cos I don't believe its me. I still believe that I am over 300lbs even though I am so far from that now.

Yep!! Sweatshirts in the summer when the AC is a little too cool! And I'm sure people think I'm full of myself because I do get distracted by mirrors! You look amazing great work!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My little two cents... "It is not a temporary 'lose it and quit' kind of thing. It is a lifestyle change."

So true! Or we will need to do it all over again.That keeps me on the straight & narrow,mostly.
    Cause there's no way I want to go thru this again.

Another thing I try to keep in mind,if not this week,when? If not this month,when? If not this year,when?
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. Exactly what I needed this morning. :)
  • nini6900
    nini6900 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is the best thing Ive ever seen on here! I needed to hear this. Thank you!
  • pnathanrusso
    Options
    thank you very much for this information. It is very usefull, and I agre about everything you wrote.
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Another thing I try to keep in mind,if not this week,when? If not this month,when? If not this year,when?

This reminded me of what I trybto focus on every day - Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to get there. The time will pass anyway. :wink:
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options

This EXACTLY!