What do you think of MLM business?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was teaching I had some parents of one of my students schedule a conference after school. I assumed they wanted to, ya know, talk about their daughter's school work. Instead they pitched me some MLM product. It was super-awkward.
    That would not have gone over well at all. What a jerky thing to do!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    When I was teaching I had some parents of one of my students schedule a conference after school. I assumed they wanted to, ya know, talk about their daughter's school work. Instead they pitched me some MLM product. It was super-awkward.

My son went to an in home daycare run by a wonderful woman. I loved her to death. She and her husband were in on the MLM stuff big time and he used to wear a "I get paid to drink coffee" pin every morning when the kids were dropped off. He badgered me for months before I finally said no! Not interested and then he stopped talking to me from then on out. Great for your wife's business there man..
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Well, they are a legitimate business model if that is what you're asking. But if you want to be very successful, you have to get in early and work very hard at recruiting, because in reality it is a recruiting business.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've actually never had a friend get into anything like this. I would make it VERY clear early on that I was not going to play into it at all.

LMAO

No, that doesn't work. I think it makes them view you as a challenge to overcome more than anything else. It really does awful things to otherwise nice people.

I'm EXTREMELY assertive in situations where it is required. LOL

I am like that super nice happy cheerful person who will freaking cut you in 1 second, when you cross a line.

If pushed...I'd delete the person from facebook, block their number, AND tell them face to face that I would have NONE of it...
    I just hope you never have to deal with it. It really, really is awful. I have had a few friends who "sell" it just because they use the product and can get a discount if they become a "seller." But they aren't actually trying to make money so they leave people alone. Or they might just leave a catalogue somewhere, but nothing else. Those I don't mind.

As for the person saying to stay away from the ones that promise "unlimited earning potential" -- THEY ALL SAY THAT. Even Mary Kay and Avon, etc.

I don't think they're all scams. Clearly some are reputable companies. It's the friends and family who turn into pushy jerks that are the problem. NEWSFLASH: People don't like that.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tisk, tisk, tisk. Such closed minded people. Those who have less then positive things to say.....I say have you ever tried it "personally"? If not then you do not speak from experience. MLM experiences have been good and bad for me. Just like shopping at any retail store anywhere in the world. It is the attitude of the people that form your opinions, not the store. To say "I will never shop at Sears, Walmart" or any other store because a person treated you badly just doesn't happen that often.
    I was like that when asked about Amway years ago. I shut down. After another person asked me I decided to check it out. Bottom line it was a good money earner for me. I enjoyed it, the products were good. As each group teaches differently....the group I was with was very much against being pushy. MLM isn't for everyone, but for those it is for, it can work...and work well. Like anything it is hard work but,with little reward at first. I was very happy with the experience.
    So that is my two cents worth. Mine is from personal experience, not hear say. There are lousy MLM companies, as well as lousy retail stores, lousy doctors, lousy drivers (don't get me started on them...LOL) It's sad that other people can have such an impact on ones opinions and thoughts. Have a great day all and be open minded, but true to your own belief.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Wow... I might have punched her in the ovaries for that.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I sold (ahem) adult novelties by doing home parties. The company was technically MLM, but there wasn't a huge benefit to getting "new recruits" and the company didn't really push it.

The nature of the product made it easy to sell and there was pretty much always a demand for parties (I'd get calls from people I didn't know all the time)

That was the one and only time that I got involved in MLM...otherwise, I run away screaming.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Tisk, tisk, tisk. Such closed minded people. Those who have less then positive things to say.....I say have you ever tried it "personally"? If not then you do not speak from experience.
    Also; have you ever tried raping someone?
    No... maybe you're not entitled to an opinion of rapists then?
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was an investor in a startup mlm, can make millions if it works. Ours did not. If you start in the beginning stages and it's a good sales pitch you can make millions, if you are on the tail end, it will be very difficult to be a success due to everyone has tried it or heard of it and it has burnt itself out. Gotta get in on the ground floor.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Tisk, tisk, tisk. Such closed minded people. Those who have less then positive things to say.....I say have you ever tried it "personally"? If not then you do not speak from experience.
    Also; have you ever tried raping someone?
    No... maybe you're not entitled to an opinion of rapists then?

... editing what I was going to say because it would probably come off as a little jerky and insensitive
    Anyways, to the person who says we're all closed minded, no, most of us are not. It doesn't take much time in an MLM to realize that you have to have a certain type of personality to be successful in it, and if you don't, it's a waste of time and money. It took me a year to realize I was that "sucker born every day" and I should have known better than to get involved in it. I'm not a natural salesperson, and my group was one of those "push this on everyone you do and don't know until you get a sale".
  • rml_16
    Options
    Many years ago, I sold (ahem) adult novelties by doing home parties. The company was technically MLM, but there wasn't a huge benefit to getting "new recruits" and the company didn't really push it.

The nature of the product made it easy to sell and there was pretty much always a demand for parties (I'd get calls from people I didn't know all the time)

That was the one and only time that I got involved in MLM...otherwise, I run away screaming.
    That is the only MLM party/product I have ever sought out. lol

A lot of women do them as bachelorette parties and a group of us where I used to work decided to have one. We contacted the company who put us in touch with a rep. We drank and ate (not just some crappy, miniscule stuff that most people have at MLM parties, either) and had an awesome time. And boy did we BUY.

It's the only time I ever had fun at an MLM party. But you have to have the right group of people (we even had guys there).
  • rml_16
    Options
    Sears never tricked me by asking to hang out when it really just wanted to sell me crap. WalMart doesn't say "Hey you wanna come to a party??" as an excuse to try to unload inferior products on me. Target has never tried to guilt me into buying stuff so they don't lose their house.

My favorite is the PartyLite rep who compared the company's candles to Walmart candles, saying how wioth PartyLite candles, when you're done, just run hot water over the wax and it will melt away and you can use the candle holder for something else, implyin that ONLY PartyLite candles have this magical quality.

For the record, this will work with any candle.

My aunt bought my daughter a snow globe music box from that company that broke in two days. I think it was $100.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the business.

I looked into selling Pampered Chef because I love their products but they require you to meet a quota for sales.

I am an Advocare Distributor, but I became one because I don't have to meet a quota for either selling the products or for recruiting people. I joined mainly because I like a few of the products and wanted to get them at a discount. It would be nice to make some money doing it but that wasn't even a secondary intention when I signed up. I do have to pay an annual fee (like $50) to maintain my membership but otherwise was not forced to buy any products. It actually is encouraged that you NOT have a stock pile and only order what you need.

I post about it occasionally on Facebook simply because it's part of my life, just like I post about my pets, etc. If people are curious and have questions, I'll gladly answer them. If not, they can either just like it or ignore it and move on. But then, I'm also not one of those pushy personality types of people. I'm normally very reserved.

Edited to amend my initial sentence. I think it depends on the business and what you intend to get out of it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I have no positive associations with MLM.
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tastefully simple has great products that cannot be purchased at a store (the last time I checked anyone, about 8 yrs ago). And creative memories is another one, they sell expensive photo albums and scrapping stuff. If I cared about my photos I would buy there albums, however I don't. I filled my kitchen with all pampered chef stuff, 1 time purchase, all pots,pans,and misc items, this was 10 yrs ago and have never needed to buy the stuff again,good products, no residual sale the for salesperson, this mlm is a 1 and done type sale. Tastefully simple is a great mlm due to the product is used and consumer has to come back and buy more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I did one in 1992, selling Cutco kitchen knives. I made about $800 in two months, but I hated calling to set the appointments, so I quit. They are still in business though. I saw a kiosk at the mall for them, and got info on sending in my knives to be sharpened. (They have dulled after twenty years.) If you have a good product, then there is no need to be pushy. Quality sells itself.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This thread needs more Kaylee gifs!

I have no positive associations with MLMs. My ex (way back when were first married) hosted a party for a friend who was selling Pampered Chef. We paid for all the food and wine, put on a party, invited friends, and then they were pressured into buying stuff that, if they needed, they could go get at a store cheaper. And then they were pressured into having parties of their own, so the lady could sell more stuff. It was my first real exposure to MLMs, and I hated it. It was really playing on people's friendship and good nature to sell crap.

The worst though is that I have seen MLM "supplement" sellers try to tout their products as cures for everything from cancer to diabetes to hair loss. They will say "well no, it doesn't have FDA approval" but then ream out hundreds of (presumably faked) "testimonials" from people who were cured from cancer etc simply by taking their product. I think that this is a completely unethical (and probably illegal) way for a company to dodge FDA regulations on medicines. These people are literally selling snake oil to very vulnerable people. The companies know (I'm sure) what goes on, but don't officially advertise as curing disease X, so there is very little that can be done about it.

Bottom line: unethical business model. Any company that engages in it is a scam, and any person involved in selling the stuff should be run out of town on a railroad.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I looked into selling Pampered Chef because I love their products but they require you to meet a quota for sales.

This is the same reason I haven't started doing Pampered Chef. I hate pressure. I do LOVE it when Pampered Chef folks (and Avon folks) let me know via FB that I can get products from them. They can't be bought in stores, and I'd rather that sales credit go to a friend or family member than to a random stranger.

ETA: Love Mary Kay too! They have a mint lotion that feels wonderful on my psoriasis. I have never found a similar lotion in any store and have recently found a new Mary Key Rep. to purchase from. WooHoo! :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That is the only MLM party/product I have ever sought out. lol

A lot of women do them as bachelorette parties and a group of us where I used to work decided to have one. We contacted the company who put us in touch with a rep. We drank and ate (not just some crappy, miniscule stuff that most people have at MLM parties, either) and had an awesome time. And boy did we BUY.

It's the only time I ever had fun at an MLM party. But you have to have the right group of people (we even had guys there).

I would *much* rather buy toys at a home party with friends than to venture into a seedy retailer with some creepy guy at the register staring at me.