How do you make SALMON?

Options

Replies

• Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I brush the salmon with lemon, olive oil, and peppers then put it in the broiler on hi for 4 minutes each side. Tasty and easy!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I used to hate salmon, but ever since I made it in my steamer, I've fallen in love with it!

I saw a recipe on a television program this past weekend (I think it was Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals or something like that) and he described rolling the salmon in a mixture of black pepper, salt, and green tea of all things. I haven't tried it yet, but I've got the ingredients to make it this week and it sure sounded good. The whole meal did, matter of fact.

The recipe(s) were found here:

http://mrsipskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/01/jamie-olivers-15-minute-meals-green-tea.html
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love the cedar plank salmon also. I think I need it soon!
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good luck, every time I attempt to make it, it always ends up in the trash! I can't get the hang of it....
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Light oil rub, rub with Pike's Place Northwest Fish Seasoning, cook. I either broil it or I heat up an iron skillet and cook it in that. That seasoning is AWESOME.
  • sepibo
    sepibo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mine is really easy to make and remember. I don't add oil as Salmon is pretty oily and for me, it doesn't need any extra.

- Preheat oven to 350
    - Wash the salmon, pat dry
    - Season with sea salt to taste
    - Season with fresh pepper to taste

- Put it in the oven for 35 minutes.
    - Do the fork test. Which is put a fork in the thickest part of the salmon and fork out a small piece. If it comes out as flaky it's ready.

& that's it!

It comes out really yummy. I serve it with steamed broccoli & either brown rice or wild rice. The family loves it!
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pizza! No seriously. Use your favourite pizza dough, add some pesto, leek, tomato paste and then add slices of salmon. Sprinkle with cheese if you want to.

I had an amazing smoked salmon and mascarpone pizza once from a local Italian. If you're DIYing, then you should put the smoked salmon on after the pizza has cooked, cos smoked salmon goes icky otherwise.

Ordinary salmon though ... I agree with the olive oil/oven baked thing. One recipe I really like is salmon risotto - make risotto as usual, with Arborio rice, stock, garlic, (later add crème fraiche for yumminess), dill, whatever you want really - and add your baked salmon. Flake it up a bit and stir it in - with some broad beans and/or capers. Delicious.

I'm disappointed that no one has answered the question "how do you make salmon" with an answer about racing to a spawning ground, jumping high in the air and then dying ...
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I slice a lemon into thin rounds and lay those in a baking dish, plop the salmon on top of it (skin side down if there is skin), and bake it for about 9 minutes per inch of thickness at 350! Sometimes I'll spread some pesto on top before I bake it and that is insanely good. Salmon is pretty much my favorite fish, it's really good when it's cooked nicely!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I hate cooked salmon. Actually, I hate most cooked fish.

Love it raw, so that would be my first choice for how to get more in my diet. Smoked salmon would be second.

But, if you have to cook it, look up recipes for oil poached salmon. Don't be afraid of the oil - not much clings to the fish.

There's a recipe my mother serves me about once a year (she makes it more often, but not when I'm visiting) where you poach the salmon in oil and finish it with a topping of fennel and orange. The salmon is always tender and perfect, the topping is bright and very tasty. This is the only way I'll eat cooked salmon. I'm still not the greatest fan, but I can eat it this way - and others who think salmon is OK, but not their 1st choice, RAVE about the dish every time she makes it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I bake my salmon in a glass baking dish with the tin foil over it for 13-15min
    This is a recipe that is delicious.. leave it in fridge to marinate for 30min

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Salmon-II/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=salmon&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    bump action jackson
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I generally marinate it in a garlic sauce, make a boat of aluminum foil and place in the oven for about 20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the salmon.)

Then (and I know this isn't very good for you!) I dip it in A1 Steak Sauce. It's my little cheat :)
  • Tomboly1
    Options
    There are two ways I make it that are really delicious.

1. Pan sear it in olive oil. Just salt and pepper the salmon, turn your burner on medium and sear it on the skin side until its almost cooked all the way through or just before the skin starts to burn. Then flip it over and cook the top side for just a few min. There will still be a little pink in the middle (depending on how you like it). Then drizzle with lemon juice and it will be delicious!

2. Or you could try to do an oven foil packet salmon. Add some lemons, garlic and parsley along with your seasoned salmon and some olive oil. close the foil all the way around the salmon and cook for about 20 min at 350F. This way is equally delicious but you wont have that nice crispy skin that I love.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Thaw a fillet & dry it off. Put a bit of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat (adjust heat as necessary to keep it sizzling without burning). Add salmon skin-side down to the pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned. Flip. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.

Poke it with a fork. Does it flake? It's ready. Garnish with lemon slice & parsley or whatever you please. I like my salmon with a side of steamed broccoli and rice pilaf.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I Love Salmon with Sweet Pepper Relish, (my brand is Howards from Big Lots) Put Salmon on tin foil, pour relish and salt and paper, make a pouch and bake at 375* for about 15-20 minutes, depending on size of salmon. Sweet and Tangy
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    OMG this is fabulous, because I like to make "odd" pizza's anyways, were I use olive oil or pesto and chop up a million different types of veggies, I can't believe I didn't even think of this! Great Idea! :)
    Pizza! No seriously. Use your favourite pizza dough, add some pesto, leek, tomato paste and then add slices of salmon. Sprinkle with cheese if you want to.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    One of the fastest, easiest things to cook.

light seasoning
    spritz of peanut oil
    face down in very hot (but not smoking hot) cast iron pan for about 1 minute
    flip to scales for 2-3 minutes, sometimes i put a little garlic butter on.

it should be pink and very moist on the inside, and the flesh should not be burned.
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are two ways I make it that are really delicious.

1. Pan sear it in olive oil. Just salt and pepper the salmon, turn your burner on medium and sear it on the skin side until its almost cooked all the way through or just before the skin starts to burn. Then flip it over and cook the top side for just a few min. There will still be a little pink in the middle (depending on how you like it). Then drizzle with lemon juice and it will be delicious!

This is one of my favorite ways to cook salmon! Then I make a low-fat cream sauce:
    Heat olive oil. Add some minced garlic. whisk in a tablespoon or so of flour. Stir in room-temperature skim milk - 1 to 1 1/2 cups, and let it come to a soft boil. It will thicken nicely. Add salt and the seasoning of your choice - I like a local seasoned sea salt I get from our local farmer's market.

I plate the fish over a bed of wheat noodles and pour this sauce over it. Yum!
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of salmon recipes on Epicurious.com for all levels of cooks. Overcooking salmon makes it very dry and uninspiring to the taste - this might be why you haven't been impressed yet with salmon.

If you like to grill, salmon filets are the way to go. Try to get a fresh one at the grocery store (about 3/4" to 1" thick with the scale on) The key is to cook the filet medium (about 8 minutes flesh side down, flip and cook 2 minutes scale side down). When you remove it from the grill, the scale side will peel off like a banana.

You can use a variety of marinades, from soy sauce to brown sugar / molasses to tequila to jalapeno. Salmon is very versatile and is probably my favorite seafood to grill of all. Salmon fillets also make great leftover portions for about 4-5 days.

Good luck!!!
  • wcrechs
    Options
    Easy salmon glazes: (put on half way through baking at 9-11 min per inch of thickness at 350)

Low sodium soy sauce (tsp) and All Fruit spread of either apricot or orange marmalade (1-2 TBSP)
    Balsamic vinegar (2 TBSP reduced in a pan with one clove minced garlic) mix in honey or brown sugar (according to taste)