I have a "Desk Job" anyone else?

Options

Replies

• gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My job just switched to efaxing. Which is great for the environment, but terrible for me.... that was my excuse to get up every 10 minutes :/
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and I eat in front of the computer most days. I make sure that I pack breakfast, lunch and two snacks for the day and I keep nuts and protein bars in my drawer just in case. I make sure I have a plan of my entire menu, including dinner. I drink a ton of water and get up and down frequently to refill and also use the restroom. But I would love input on mini exercises to do as well.

Yes, this is me!!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I also spend a lot of time at my desk...I am lucky that anywhere I want to go is up a flight or down a flight of stairs. Go to order entry...downstairs...bathroom do I go up or down? Anyway...I have forced myself to walk more. I will take the long way around to go to the bathroom or I park in the farthest parking spot even in the cold. I work out at lunch. All of these things have helped me. You just have to make a conscious decision to add more movement to your routine however you have to...
  • erinbartholomew5
    erinbartholomew5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of sitting as well. Because exercise is going to be not as possible, diet change will be your friend! Eat lots of dried fruit and nuts during the mid morning and afternoon to keep you from scrounging about. Sometimes we just eat out of boredom, so try gum or ginger chews. I lose weight without exercise, as long as my diet is light and I eat very little bread.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Web Developer as a day job. Sit on my butt for 8 hrs a day. Most exercise is moving the mouse. Considering a more active career LOL . Music is great but it would be a miracle to get to a point for it to be a career
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    Desk job here too. I snack healthily and avoid the vending machine. I run at lunchtime when I can and make sure I go for a decent fast paced walk on the days I can't run. I take the stairs rather than the lift and, above all, I tell myself that sitting at a desk is no barrier to achieving my goals. Best of luck. :smile:
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Has a desk job and that hasn't stopped me. I avoid snacking and sweets around the office and walk/jog on my lunch break

Good luck ! :flowerforyou:
  • davemap
    davemap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Deskjob (IT) even when im not at my desk, im sitting in my car on laptop (like i am now) still manage to loose weight with MFP and walking / Weight lifting . Also have lost weight with out exercise just by using MFP alone. Add me if you like :)
  • MelanieBreuning
    MelanieBreuning Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I sin in school all day.
  • Rsharpe99
    Rsharpe99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. Try to create a schedule that works for you and then stick to it. When you can't stick to it, do what you can when you can. But when it comes to weight loss, as always, its more about your diet than anything else. Always keep your eyes on that prize.
  • stayfocus3d
    stayfocus3d Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome to your health journey, i too have a desk job. and these are some suggestions and things I do to help me. it might help you too. i wake up one hr early and i pop in a aerobics video and do 1mile walk with it. my goal this week is 30 push ups, 15 dips and 30 bridges. that's before me leaving to work. then at lunch time after i eat i go for a 40min walk. maybe you don't have 1hr like i do but you can walk some. 15,20 or 30mins. remember to park your car further so you can get some steps in.

use stairs instead of any elevators. then when i come home i have dinner, then back to either outside for a job/walk or i'll pop in another dvd and do some more aerobics. if you don't to do that. for those that like watching tv. try to jog in place on the commercials, or jumping jacks, squats, lift some weight with your 5lbs or 10lbs dumbells on commercials. what you want to do is get lil workouts in, so your motabolism keeps working all day. you can do it. i have lost 60 lbs before and have had a desk job. and i'm back in losing already since thanksgiving 23 lbs. so yes you can do this and remember you are not alone. there is no excuse you can if you put your mind to it.
    me when i first started:
    lunapic_134033088624526_2.jpg

me now:
    1551539_10153634068345403_750925984_n_zps4b7ee27d.jpg
  • Rsharpe99
    Rsharpe99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I sin in school all day.

That's the most fascinating quote of the day. It would be awesome if you could elaborate.:noway:
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    desk job 40 hours a week.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job. I'm lucky to be part time as well so I get up at 6 am get an hour workout in and a good healthy breakfast before work. As others had mention pack your lunch and snacks and be prepared. I always figure out the day before for dinner 90% of the time. With all the preparing and planning there is no room for junk :) I also workout at night for another half an hour too. Before coming to MFP I had lost close to 60 lbs and trying to lose a few more while toning. Drink lots of water, get up every hr if you can and move around, do squats in the bathroom if you can, move your feet while at your desk as well. Any type of movement helps!
  • Bubblecut
    Bubblecut Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I have always had "desk jobs" and a lot of sitting, which is very unhealthy . ... sitting at work, in the car, at home. I have made it a point to keep moving. I get up to talk to people instead of emailing. I try to remember to stand during phone calls instead of sitting. I even try to stand during meetings (sometimes that bugs the other meeting attendees though, so you have to be careful how you do it). On my way home from work in the winter, I stop at the mall and walk a brisk couple of loops around. It all helps--I find I sleep better at night if I keep moving as much as possible. Take the stairs AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Suggestion: purchase a fitbit and wear it! What a difference that has made--it's a constant reminder to strive to reach that 10,000 steps each day.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! When I was younger all my jobs were outdoors and active. It's hard to adjust to the sitting life. I agree with what others have said- mainly that you'll really have to be dedicated with your diet. Also, fit in those little bits of exercise! I try to spend my evenings and weekends on my feet doing active things, and only watch TV when I'm on the elliptical. You can do it!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and work 10 hour days (5:30 - 3:30) without a lunch break. I don't have a lot of the typical options available to me. I work to far away to walk to work, we don't have stairs in my building, my husband and I car pool so I can't park far away to get more steps in, I have a printer at my desk, no gym offered at work..... I could go on but I won't. I have been able to lose 23 pounds in about 4 months mostly by just watching what I eat. Here's some stuff that I do:

-I try to drink A LOT of water so I go to the bathroom often. I do 10-20 squats everytime I go to the bathroom and 10 "pushups" on the sink.
    -I got some of my co-workers in on a planking challenge so we take 15 minutes everyday and see who can plank the longest.
    -If I'm explaining something to someone, I try to stand instead of sitting.
    -I pack my breakfast, lunch and a snack everyday.
    -I keep 50 calorie mixes of chocolate and caramel at my desk (made the mix by putting together melting caramel and chocolate chips) to keep me away from the vending machine if I need sweets.
    -If I'm really hungry and it's not near my normal eat times, I will have a big cup of tea with a tiny bit of lemon and honey.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So, I'm stealing the idea of squats and counter pushups each time I empty my bladder. And came up with an idea of my own... I'm a smoker, so three times a day on break and lunch, I go out for a smoke. I work on the first floor.
    I will be going to the south stairs and climbing to the third floor, walking to the north stairs and go down to ground for the smoking area. If the timing of this works out OK, I might go reverse to return to my desk too.
    So, there's another idea, stairs are awesome right?

Not sure how to log all that though, any ideas? maybe count the stairs up and down and log how many stairs I climb a day? hmm
  • fortworthbret1
    Options
    Count me in too.

For 20 years, the same type of job. Pays the bills, but is hell on the body if I let it be (I did, thats why I'm here).
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. I work in an office park so I can walk during the day. About two years ago I bought a pedometer and started tracking my steps. routing M - F is to walk to the end of the block and back before driving to work (about 8/10 of a mile). I park my car far from the entrance and walk all the way around the buildling. In the morning I take a 10 -15 mins break and walk and do the same after lunch. It is a rare day that I can't find a couple of 10 - 15 mins breaks. That's all the exercise I did initially and lost about 50 pounds that way.
    Walking is great and easy to do. The pedometer helps me keep on track. Mine is from Omron and also tracks aerobic steps if you are walking briskly for at least 10 mins.