Buying "fake" products to impress others?

Options
124»

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.
    I could be misinformed here, since I don't think they sell them here, but aren't they actually super expensive?
    Meh, i've had the same $15 bag used daily for the last 11 years so what do I know LOL
    I'll buy knock offs or the real thing, as long as i like it, its quality, and its cheap.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought fake NFL jerseys for my kids from China, $22 vs $120. I live in Pittsburgh and 1/2 the kids wardrobes are NFL jerseys. My 8yr asked for a stitched jersey for Xmas because his classmates said they are more valuable than screened (LOL, couldnt believe it). Plus, when the player gets traded, they wont were them, with the ones from China, you can take off the name and use the shirt for pick up games. I tell everyone about it and send the link, so its not like I am passing it off as authentic

FYI, A lawyer friend of mine said its not illegal to buy them, its illegal to sell them.

I was reading this thread thinking I don't have any knock off's but then I realized I do...I have a custom jersery..it is a throwback jersery for the steelers like they wore in the 1960 with the number 44 and my last name because my great uncle played for the steelers that year and he wore 44.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in 7th grade and 501 Levis were the cool thing to have in our school. That particular pair of jeans had a red tag but I happened to have Levi's that had an orange tag. I was teased mercilessly for that stupid orange tag so I went home and colored it red with a Sharpie. No more teasing.

It was then that I realized how stupid the label and brand snobbery were when most people couldn't even tell the difference. I never did fit in with those kids because my clothes didn't matter to me after that. I wore what I liked and my looks of "you're an idiot" must have sucked the fun out of teasing me because it didn't happen much after that.

I have a cutting machine sitting on my table right next to my laptop. I can pull any image off the internet into my software and create any picture, label or tag that I desire and this machine will cut it out of the appropriate material to be attached to my clothes. But I have no need to decorate my Walmart shirt and make it something it's not.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Like when someone gets a glock instead of a 1911?

:laugh: But what if I have both? :blushing:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there are knock off coach bags out there. The originals are not really pricy enough to be worth making knock offs.

CoachFakevsReal1.jpg

I'm still trying to tell what the difference is? I mean there are obviously slight differences, but what would make one "obviously" a knock off?

Now my Docs, those are steal toed and were purchased in London in the late 90's. I also don't wear them often anymore, but they're damn sure coming out if I'm headed to a concert!

My purse is a guy's wallet that goes in my back pocket so.....

My clothes come mostly from Target (pronounced with an accent) because I'm classy like that, and also cause I'm lazy and fracking HATE clothes shopping.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    No. I don't want the "real thing". I'm afraid I would ruin it. Have you *seen* the way I treat my purse? It's a hand-me-down, and the last one was a $1 special from the thrift store (so was the one before that). And shoes? No. Just no. I'm afraid I'd scuff them or get them dirty. I'd die, if I ruined something I spent over $100 on.

I mean, I spent over $100 on my tattoos, but I can't really ruin them...well, maybe with scars...but I have less chance getting seriously cut or burned than scuffing a shoe or tossing my purse in a puddle of something staining.