Gluten. Dairy. Sugar.

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

The difference is the word "evil". We were trying to point out that making "villains" out of foods doesn't really help anyone.

Eta: yes, weight loss is not only possible, it's going to happen if you eat at a caloric deficit. If you do that, it WILL happen for you, too. Congratulations on joining MFP. Logging your food correctly is a great first step.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Exactly, I ate a raw vegan diet two yrs ago (I came off of it because it was so expensive) thand did not monitor calories at all and lost 34 lbs. I honestly believe the types of foods you choose make a huge difference. Processed foods make me feel sick. I feel so much better eating fresh local organic produce (belong to CSA) and making everything from scratch using whole food ingredients.

We keep putting "makes me feel" in there. I'm glad it makes you feel good but the fact is it is calories in vs out for weight loss. How you feel is completely different. In a sustainability stance, absolutely do what feels best but arguing against facts seems. .. pointless. I feel great eating ice cream, pizza and a few veggies poked in there. That's me, that's great. I lose fine on any food I put in my body, so as long as I'm eating at a deficit. Period.

It's different for me. I found if I eat processed foods I don't lose weight, I either maintain or gain even when counting calories and exercising. What I am trying to say is what works for one won't necessarily will work for the other. There are so many components to overall health. I choose, for me, as it is definitely a personal choice, to eat unprocessed foods because I have found success with my weight loss with it and I feel better. I never said everyone on here will feel better doing the diet. I said "I feel better." I feel hungry all the time eating processed food and I feel more satisfied eating whole foods. Studies have shown that the reason people feel hungry on processed foods as they are not as nutrient dense per calorie. So, after doing some research and trying it for myself, it worked for me. Everyone posts their opinions on here and can do what they wish with them. It's not about criticizing each other. It's about sharing what works for you and allowing others todo with it what they wish. If it leads to someone else having success, great. If they choose not to try it, then that is your choice. To state it's all about one thing PERIOD is making a blanket statement that everyone processess all foods the same way. If it works for you, then I'm jealous. It has never worked for me.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is interesting.

My own experience thus far with Keto is that it's actually easier for me to eat a calorie deficit than when I was trying to do "all things in moderation".

I have an unhealthy relationship with carbohydrates and sugar (thanks, ancient ancestors!). The one thing that made me seriously consider Keto was the discussions with other chronic acid reflux sufferers whose symptoms completely disappeared on this diet. I have experienced this wonderful disappearance, and it has greatly improved my ability to sleep (another important component of weight loss).

I've been following this diet (and keeping within proper macros) almost religiously since the 13th, and I've lost 12 pounds.

I haven't cut out dairy, but gluten and sugar are out of the picture. I don't get ravenously hungry like I did before when eating "all things in moderation". 350 calories from sausage and the half and half in my coffee keeps me full until lunch, whereas 420 calories from Pop-Tarts had me *starving* by mid-morning. I'm not getting the blood sugar spikes that I was before, and that's a good thing considering the history of Type II diabetes in my family.

Since I started this diet, I've eaten consistently between 1200 and 1600 calories per day, and have not once expressed that I am starving. I've faced many chances to grab something sugary and full of carbs (my husband is not on Keto, and loves his bread and pastries), but I think back to when my acid reflux was keeping me up at night and it's super easy to say "nope nope nope". I don't feel deprived at all. I don't look at a piece of cheesecake and think "I can never have that, but I super want it!". I look at a piece of cheesecake and think "Man, I would be up until 3am if I ate that... I wonder if I could come up with a keto-friendly version..."

Calorie deficit is ABSOLUTELY important. But depending on how violently your body reacts to certain types of foods - certain types of diets are going to be more sustainable and successful for you in the long run. We all have our trigger points, and if eating freegan gets your moral juices flowing and keeps you eating at a calorie deficit because "I <3 the animals and hate the capitalisms" or if you want to eat your weight in bacon each year for the rest of your life because "wouldn't that be super awesome?!", or if you have a particular food group that's causing irritation that's affecting you negatively - hold on to that and don't focus on "I can never do this again" - focus on "I'm doing this because I don't want [this bad thing] to happen"
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Wow! I came here for a little encouragement in my journey. The first thread I look at is in the 'Success Stories' forum and what do I see? Well, if I say 'vicious attacks', many will get defensive and direct those comments toward me, whether I was referring to them or not. Anyway. I see this thread as rather sad.

To the original poster, you know your body. If those foods were hurting you, and obviously they were, you made a good choice. I, too, have eliminated gluten, dairy (mostly), and process/refined sugar/honey/etc. from my diet. I am gluten and lactose intolerant and diabetic. I haven't lost weight but am holding steady and feel better than I have in years. It's just a matter of time till I'm able to exercise more and the pounds will start dropping. Thank you to the original poster for the reminder that weight loss is possible I was beginning to doubt.

I eliminated them because I am also intolerant to them. But I lost weight and kept it off for years before I eliminated them because I ate at a caloric deficit.
  • otillie03103
    Options

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

Stick around, you CAN find supportive people here, too.

That's what I was hoping for on here. I honestly think I may not bother with the boards at all as it seems you can't post your opinion without others telling you non stop that you are completely wrong. You post what worked for you and suddenly you are supposedly telling everyone they should eat the same way you do. Ugh. I thought maybe we could all share what works for us and use them as ideas to tailor our diets that work with our own tolerences. I'm going to stick to my own research and not look for ideas from people on message boards. You just end up getting bashed.
  • sepibo
    sepibo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome! & Thanks for sharing your key to weightloss success.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

we are questioning the logic behind eliminating thee food groups and calling them evil; and are also questioning the logic behind saying that you can just climate those foods and lose weight because that is not correct and people will read this and believe it to be true.

At the end of the day OP lost weight by restricting certain food groups to a point that created a calorie deficit. those foods were not "harming" op, what as harming OP was overeating, period. I eat all the foods that are mentioned as "evil" and have lost weight and kept it off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's MFP, in a nutshell. This is a hot button topic for MFP'ers. There are others, as well (eating below 1200 calories/day comes to mind).

That's what I was hoping for on here. I honestly think I may not bother with the boards at all as it seems you can't post your opinion without others telling you non stop that you are completely wrong. You post what worked for you and suddenly you are supposedly telling everyone they should eat the same way you do. Ugh. I thought maybe we could all share what works for us and use them as ideas to tailor our diets that work with our own tolerences. I'm going to stick to my own research and not look for ideas from people on message boards. You just end up getting bashed.

Well you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. If you use false information, state things that cannot be true, or offer an opinion that is contradicted by actual facts, you can and will be called out on it.

If you want a platform from which you can state your opinion and not deal with those who disagree or think the facts do not support you, you can use the blog function of MFP. The forums are a place for discussion and knowledgeable people can and will attack and discredit misleading information, false data, bunk pseudoscience, etc.
  • otillie03103
    Options
    This is interesting.

My own experience thus far with Keto is that it's actually easier for me to eat a calorie deficit than when I was trying to do "all things in moderation".

I have an unhealthy relationship with carbohydrates and sugar (thanks, ancient ancestors!). The one thing that made me seriously consider Keto was the discussions with other chronic acid reflux sufferers whose symptoms completely disappeared on this diet. I have experienced this wonderful disappearance, and it has greatly improved my ability to sleep (another important component of weight loss).

I've been following this diet (and keeping within proper macros) almost religiously since the 13th, and I've lost 12 pounds.

I haven't cut out dairy, but gluten and sugar are out of the picture. I don't get ravenously hungry like I did before when eating "all things in moderation". 350 calories from sausage and the half and half in my coffee keeps me full until lunch, whereas 420 calories from Pop-Tarts had me *starving* by mid-morning. I'm not getting the blood sugar spikes that I was before, and that's a good thing considering the history of Type II diabetes in my family.

Since I started this diet, I've eaten consistently between 1200 and 1600 calories per day, and have not once expressed that I am starving. I've faced many chances to grab something sugary and full of carbs (my husband is not on Keto, and loves his bread and pastries), but I think back to when my acid reflux was keeping me up at night and it's super easy to say "nope nope nope". I don't feel deprived at all. I don't look at a piece of cheesecake and think "I can never have that, but I super want it!". I look at a piece of cheesecake and think "Man, I would be up until 3am if I ate that... I wonder if I could come up with a keto-friendly version..."

Calorie deficit is ABSOLUTELY important. But depending on how violently your body reacts to certain types of foods - certain types of diets are going to be more sustainable and successful for you in the long run. We all have our trigger points, and if eating freegan gets your moral juices flowing and keeps you eating at a calorie deficit because "I <3 the animals and hate the capitalisms" or if you want to eat your weight in bacon each year for the rest of your life because "wouldn't that be super awesome?!", or if you have a particular food group that's causing irritation that's affecting you negatively - hold on to that and don't focus on "I can never do this again" - focus on "I'm doing this because I don't want [this bad thing] to happen"

This worked for me too. I feel that foods that are more nutrient dense per calorie are more satisfying. I felt hungry all the time on processed foods. Whole foods have kept me feeling satisfied all day.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    This is interesting.

Odds are good, that you've lost that much weight in 13 days because cutting out carbs caused you to lose water weight. I just want you to be aware that you won't continue to lose weight at such a high rate for very long, it will level off. You should continue after that to lose at 1-2 lbs a week, to be healthy and not lose muscle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    **Meanwhile, in my fortress of evil**

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

^^^ Hmmm . . . not necessarily. When I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was watch my calories. I could eat what I wanted to and still lose weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie allotment. Not anymore! For most 40+ year old women, it DOES matter where the calories come from. I stick to roughly 1400 to 1800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I get) and I can tell you without a doubt that if I eat processed/prepackaged/fast foods and stick to within my calorie limit, I will not lose a thing. However, if I eat whole foods (vegetables, lean proteins, good fats like avocados, raw nut butters, etc.) I will lose the weight eating the same amount of calories. How do I know this? Three years ago, I spent 7 months gaining and losing the same 4 pounds although I was exercising and keeping within my calorie limit. It wasn't until I kicked the processed carbs and sugars to the curb that I began to lose weight. I am now 60+ pounds down and have kept it off for almost two years. I went on a cruise in March of 2012 and was very strict about portion control. I didn't go hog-wild not one meal the entire 7 days, drank LOTS of water, and did LOTS of walking, swimming, etc. When I got home, I was 9.5 pounds up on the scale. I can tell you emphatically that it MATTERS where my calories come from. 1400 calories of processed food will NOT allow me to lose weight, period!

Not so much, my dear. It's because your metabolism decreases as you age and your muscle mass decreases, so you need fewer calories. You must lower your calorie intake to maintain your weight because your caloric needs decrease. Your BMR at 20 is a lot higher than your BMR at 40.

Also if you gained 9.5 pounds in one week, much of it was water weight. Not likely that you ate 33,250 extra calories in that one week.

The point I am trying to make is that one viewpoint--if you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight--does NOT work for everyone. I KNOW what works for my body and what doesn't. I'm sure if the OP said she had to cut out processed carbs, sugars, gluten, etc. and that was what it took to lose the weight, then I believe her because that is EXACTLY what it took for me. BTW, yes the 9.5 pounds was water weight and it was gone by the next week. However, it was gone ONLY because I got back to my strict eating regimen the very next day after returning home. Had I begun eating the processed foods (even staying within my allotted calories), I never would have gotten it off. I MIGHT would have lost a couple pounds, but definitely would not have lost all of it. I know my body well and have learned to pay close attention to what works and what doesn't.

by your logic I could then eat in a calorie surplus and lose weight.

Please point me to studies of these magical people that eat in a TRUE calorie deficit and do not lose weight.

what if a person can't maintain a deficit because their the fluctuation in blood sugar causes them to bing, you throw "true calorie deficit" out there like its easy to maintain. Some people have more trouble staying in deficit, and FOR ME some of the nutrients mentioned here affect my ability to maintain a deficit... If you maintain a deficit you will lose fat, but some foods may make it hard or nearly impossible to maintain deficit.
  • otillie03103
    Options

Well you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. If you use false information, state things that cannot be true, or offer an opinion that is contradicted by actual facts, you can and will be called out on it.

If you want a platform from which you can state your opinion and not deal with those who disagree or think the facts do not support you, you can use the blog function of MFP. The forums are a place for discussion and knowledgeable people can and will attack and discredit misleading information, false data, bunk pseudoscience, etc.

All the information I mentioned was from doing research on my own from valid resources and was to explain why I made the choices I did. I didn't save them all because I don't save a million articles on my computer, but they can be found if people took the time to look. If my statements are wrong, no one on here seems to be posting any medical journal articles to prove otherwise. it goes both ways. If everyone is right and I'm wrong, then give me proof from respected medical journals (I'm an RN and belong to many journals online so I can do this valid reasearch). If I read you articles and they make sense to me then I will admit that you were correct. Until then, I can only go based off the research I have done and will call you out if and when you have nothing to back your statements up either.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I'm glad you've had success but the weight loss isn't purely because you cut those three things. It's because by eliminating those things from your diet, you created a calorie deficit.

How do you know she isn't eating the same amount of calories, just from different foods?

because OP claimed to lose weight..the only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit….its called math ...

^^^ Hmmm . . . not necessarily. When I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was watch my calories. I could eat what I wanted to and still lose weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie allotment. Not anymore! For most 40+ year old women, it DOES matter where the calories come from. I stick to roughly 1400 to 1800 calories a day (depending on how much exercise I get) and I can tell you without a doubt that if I eat processed/prepackaged/fast foods and stick to within my calorie limit, I will not lose a thing. However, if I eat whole foods (vegetables, lean proteins, good fats like avocados, raw nut butters, etc.) I will lose the weight eating the same amount of calories. How do I know this? Three years ago, I spent 7 months gaining and losing the same 4 pounds although I was exercising and keeping within my calorie limit. It wasn't until I kicked the processed carbs and sugars to the curb that I began to lose weight. I am now 60+ pounds down and have kept it off for almost two years. I went on a cruise in March of 2012 and was very strict about portion control. I didn't go hog-wild not one meal the entire 7 days, drank LOTS of water, and did LOTS of walking, swimming, etc. When I got home, I was 9.5 pounds up on the scale. I can tell you emphatically that it MATTERS where my calories come from. 1400 calories of processed food will NOT allow me to lose weight, period!

Not so much, my dear. It's because your metabolism decreases as you age and your muscle mass decreases, so you need fewer calories. You must lower your calorie intake to maintain your weight because your caloric needs decrease. Your BMR at 20 is a lot higher than your BMR at 40.

Also if you gained 9.5 pounds in one week, much of it was water weight. Not likely that you ate 33,250 extra calories in that one week.

The point I am trying to make is that one viewpoint--if you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight--does NOT work for everyone. I KNOW what works for my body and what doesn't. I'm sure if the OP said she had to cut out processed carbs, sugars, gluten, etc. and that was what it took to lose the weight, then I believe her because that is EXACTLY what it took for me. BTW, yes the 9.5 pounds was water weight and it was gone by the next week. However, it was gone ONLY because I got back to my strict eating regimen the very next day after returning home. Had I begun eating the processed foods (even staying within my allotted calories), I never would have gotten it off. I MIGHT would have lost a couple pounds, but definitely would not have lost all of it. I know my body well and have learned to pay close attention to what works and what doesn't.

Please point me to studies of these magical people that eat in a TRUE calorie deficit and do not lose weight.

what if a person can't maintain a deficit because their the fluctuation in blood sugar causes them to bing, you throw "true calorie deficit" out there like its easy to maintain. Some people have more trouble staying in deficit, and FOR ME some of the nutrients mentioned here affect my ability to maintain a deficit... If you maintain a deficit you will lose fat, but some foods may make it hard or nearly impossible to maintain deficit.

Compliance and adherence are the ultimate test of any diet.

If certain foods make it too difficult for you to hit your nutritional goals, then by all means avoid them.

However, don't make the mistake of thinking that those foods are somehow bad or inherently fattening. Simply moderating intake of those foods is all that is necessary.
  • mccindy72
    Options

So your logic is that the person just has no self control. Eat in moderation and there won't be fluctuations in blood sugar that create cravings. You can have some sugar and some carbs and some dairy without creating any of those huge fluctuations. If you can't get control of yourself mentally, you aren't ready for the challenge yet anyway. It's no diffferent than trying to quit smoking. I tell patients and their families all the time that if you aren't ready to quit, you won't. The same goes for food.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Odds are good, that you've lost that much weight in 13 days because cutting out carbs caused you to lose water weight. I just want you to be aware that you won't continue to lose weight at such a high rate for very long, it will level off. You should continue after that to lose at 1-2 lbs a week, to be healthy and not lose muscle.

Well I'm obviously not deluded enough to think it was 12 pounds of fat that I lost. But the fact that I had at least a large percentage of that as retained water is pretty telling.

The point was that I'm eating a calorie deficit but I don't actually FEEL like I'm eating a calorie deficit. When I was eating a whole host of "all things in moderation", I would get ravenously hungry before mealtimes. That is no longer the case, and makes it easier to make rational food choices when my body isn't screaming at me "SHOVE SOMETHING IN MY FACE!"

My calorie goal is set to a 1.5lb/week loss.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Well, the agreed upon basics (calories in v. calories out being the main one) are correct, but the way you achieve the deficit is your business. I personally achieve a deficit through eating fewer "simple carbs," but that's only because I have so few calories/day and know that "simple carbs" are "caloric fun extras" that don't stick with me as long as protein and veggies do. That's not to say carbs are evil; that's just how I cut calories. Someone else might cut back on desserts, or protein (if they're eating more than a serving and don't need the extra protein), while someone else might cut back on cheeses and sauces. It's what personally works for you. However, calling foods "evil" is not well tolerated here. Don't be the newbie that makes that mistake. Lol!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

so whenver someone posts something that is not accurate we are all just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and say "hooray, great job OP!" even if we know the reasoning/logic behind said post is wrong?

Look people are going to come in here and think that this is a plan for long term success which it is not …so if we are not being "supportive' for blindly supporting every "sugar is the devil" post, then sure, whatever...
    This.^ When many people first come here, they just read the forums and don't participate. Threads such as these are very valuable because there is such excellent takeaway information. I remember having so many great revelations when I first started reading these forums and peeking in successful people's diaries. It was awesome to see that people had McDonalds and ice cream or Poptarts or popcorn at the movies, candy at Halloween and Christmas dinner and still met their weight loss and health and fitness goals. It gives a person hope when you see someone else doing it without being miserable and deprived. Just as the opposite can be true. If everyone reading these forums was led to believe that they had to elimate sugar, dairy and gluten to lose weight, most of them would be very discouraged and unhappy.
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Options

So your logic is that the person just has no self control. Eat in moderation and there won't be fluctuations in blood sugar that create cravings. You can have some sugar and some carbs and some dairy without creating any of those huge fluctuations. If you can't get control of yourself mentally, you aren't ready for the challenge yet anyway. It's no diffferent than trying to quit smoking. I tell patients and their families all the time that if you aren't ready to quit, you won't. The same goes for food.

No my logic is that some foods affect some people so dramatically that they will feel starved when they are in surplus. That this conversation is NOT about deficit which everyone who has a profile is all that we need to maintain weight loss. But instead we should entertain that some foods have an effect on people that is more dramatic than on others. Those dramatic reactions make deficit nearly impossible.

People who say "if you can't lose weight then eat less," are the antithesis of everything this website stands for, but when people say that all you need to do is eat a deficit and you will lose weight that is exactly what you are saying ( we read that on the day we signed up for MFP so this is no revelation so quit insulting our inteligence).

A better question we should ask ourselves, is how does eating this food make me feel, and what other options do I have if I do not care for the affect this food has on my body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!