WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thank Jonnythan. I think that's the point that is missed out - probably not considered - when talking about B12 in "soil" - we should actually say that bacteria that dwell in manure dropped by animals manufacture B12 and that is then ingested by grazing animals which then pass on the vitamin to humans through flesh, eggs or dairy consumption.

I didn't think the bacteria that manufacture B12 lived in the animal itself, but that the vitamin was ingested through grazing or, in the case of predatory animals, ingesting other animals who are/were grazers.

I may be wrong - still researching.

Yes, the vitamin, in a form that is useful in humans, is not present in soil in any quantity as far as I can tell. The production of human-active B12 appears to occur primarily by bacteria in the rumen of herbivores and is transmitted to other animals such as humans by either consuming the meat or products of these animals or ingesting their fecal material.

As far as I can tell, there are no plant (or soil) sources of biologically-active B12 currently known.
  • JLauterb25
    JLauterb25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :noway:

That dissertation from the OP is EXACTLY why "vegan" has become a dirty word! Just eat your fruits and veggies and get on with your life. Following a vegan diet shouldn't define who you are, it's not a bumper sticker to put on your car, it's just food!

I hate when people say "I'm vegan". It's like sucking all of the air out of the room. I learned pretty quickly a year ago when I transitioned my diet over to 90% fruits and veggies, to not identify with "vegans" even though technically I suppose I am.

I think people miss the point about predominantly plant based diets. It's about health and feeling great, not about rules. If you are going to turn down a cheeseburger it should be because it is not your optimal food choice, not because you are "vegan" and don't eat meat or cheese.

Besides, when "vegans" become a slave to these arbitrary rules, they feel guilty about eating foods that don't fall into that category. If my 5 year old asks me to try his grilled cheese sandwich, I am going to take a bite and not give it a second thought. Changing your friends because they don't eat the way you do?!? That's insane!
  • beetlebug2001
    Options
    I came to the realization that animal food products are bad for your physical being after reading the China Study (please read this study). It was a wide eye opener. My husband and I decided to go vegan. No it,s not easy and no it is not a diet. It is a new way of life. So far so good. Yes we lost weight but more importantly we feel so much better. I actually love the food. We don't eat just raw but a variety of vegetables, beans, grains anf fruit and vegies. After 4 years of struggling with weight I have found a new way of life.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I came to the realization that animal food products are bad for your physical being after reading the China Study (please read this study). It was a wide eye opener. My husband and I decided to go vegan. No it,s not easy and no it is not a diet. It is a new way of life. So far so good. Yes we lost weight but more importantly we feel so much better. I actually love the food. We don't eat just raw but a variety of vegetables, beans, grains anf fruit and vegies. After 4 years of struggling with weight I have found a new way of life.

The China Study is not a study but a book, and it has been thoroughly debunked.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Eating (cooked) animal products is what made us humans. It's what allowed us to be the dominant species on earth. So, because it allowed us to have awesome things like cars and MFP, I would say animal food products are good for you. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/10/24/163536159/when-fire-met-meat-the-brains-of-early-humans-grew-bigger

Never mind that children NEED animal products to survive. At least milk. "Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html?_r=0
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Love it! Everyone has to find their own path for what works for them for where they're at in their life. I wanted to share this because -like you - I feel sooo000 good and I love the food I eat. I think it's interesting poeple read this and think we're trying to "convert" others. If it's not for you, that's fine, but I don't understand all the negativity and backlash. Like if eating fresh fruits and vegetables was the worst thing a person could do. I think people also don't realize that I was coming from an obese lifestyle being 220 lbs. If anything THAT's what the concern should be - not that I'm no longer eating meat.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Love it! Everyone has to find their own path for what works for them for where they're at in their life. I wanted to share this because -like you - I feel sooo000 good and I love the food I eat. I think it's interesting poeple read this and think we're trying to "convert" others. If it's not for you, that's fine, but I don't understand all the negativity and backlash. Like if eating fresh fruits and vegetables was the worst thing a person could do. I think people also don't realize that I was coming from an obese lifestyle being 220 lbs. If anything THAT's what the concern should be - not that I'm no longer eating meat.

You felt sooo000 good on a high-protein diet too. I think you're just trading one extreme obsession for another.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Cuz you cray cray.
  • elfo
    Options
    :noway:

That dissertation from the OP is EXACTLY why "vegan" has become a dirty word! Just eat your fruits and veggies and get on with your life. Following a vegan diet shouldn't define who you are, it's not a bumper sticker to put on your car, it's just food!

I hate when people say "I'm vegan". It's like sucking all of the air out of the room. I learned pretty quickly a year ago when I transitioned my diet over to 90% fruits and veggies, to not identify with "vegans" even though technically I suppose I am.

I think people miss the point about predominantly plant based diets. It's about health and feeling great, not about rules. If you are going to turn down a cheeseburger it should be because it is not your optimal food choice, not because you are "vegan" and don't eat meat or cheese.

Besides, when "vegans" become a slave to these arbitrary rules, they feel guilty about eating foods that don't fall into that category. If my 5 year old asks me to try his grilled cheese sandwich, I am going to take a bite and not give it a second thought. Changing your friends because they don't eat the way you do?!? That's insane!

Sweetie- I think you didn't read my post. I very clearly state that I DONT let a label define who I am and that if I eat something it's because I want to not because I have to or can't have something. I no longer desire certain foods- that's WHY I don't eat them not because I CAN:T.

I do this because I feel the best I ever had in my life period. Not because of some label or even because I've had great weightloss success- and I HAVE TO say what I eat (low fat raw vegan) so that I can explain my story- not because I'm trying to push veganism. Eat what you want. I will eat what I want. And leave all the drama for your mama.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jonnythan - useful exchange (above).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You will come to realize that food is nourishment for your body, just as love, and sleep, and peace of mind. You will want to nourish your body more and more everyday, and with each day, you will see it blossom into something beautiful. This is what comes from eating clean living food, and this is why I strive to stay crude!

Yup, and protein is probably the most nourishing to all of your muscles, so meat it is while getting fruit and veggies for the micro nutrients.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that animal food products are bad for your physical being after reading the China Study (please read this study).
    It is widly criticised and by many considered to be HEAVILY biased.
    I would not be basing my lifestyle on something like that, personally.
  • elfo
    Options

You felt sooo000 good on a high-protein diet too. I think you're just trading one extreme obsession for another.

There's a big difference- and thanks for bringing it up! I felt so good on a high protein diet for 2 main reasons: 1) I cut out all gluten, processed foods and refined sugar. That made me feel really good. AND I was loosing weight - that always feel good.

The difference now is that I feel THAT and so much more. I get waaaaaayyyy better sleep, my physical activity is like nothing before, I don't get as stressed anymore, my skin is AMAZING- best it's ever been AND I have unlimited energy- everyday.

I think the real extreme was being 220 lbs eating lots of processed foods and putting my body through lots of stress of insomnia, toxic food and alcohol. Eating healthy, now really is this extreme?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Regarding the B12 debate, for what it's worth this is directly from my textbook (Staying Healthy With Nutrition, written by Elson M Haas, MD)

Sources: B12 is found in significant amounts only in animal protein foods. Fermented foods, including tempeh and miso, may contain small amounts of this vitamin, depending on the method of fermentation. B12 is also manufactured by bacteria in the human intestines, but it is not known how much we can naturally absorb and use from that source. In general, digestion and absorption must be good for adequate B12 to be obtained. Many laxatives and overuse of antacids can reduce absorption and deplete stores of B12.

Our primary food sources of vitamin B12 include meat, most fish (especially the oily ones like trout, herring and mackerel), crab, scallops, shrimp, oysters, eggs (the yolk), and milk products, especially live-culture yogurt. Such organ meats as liver, heart, and kidney are particularly high in B12. The vegan – that is, the strict vegetarian who consumes no animal-source foods – is not getting the necessary vitamin B12 from diet (although tempeh, a fermented soybean product, and some sprouts may contain some vitamin B12); thus vegans will often need an additional supplement (which absorbs well) or periodic injections.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference- and thanks for bringing it up! I felt so good on a high protein diet for 2 main reasons: 1) I cut out all gluten, processed foods and refined sugar. That made me feel really good. AND I was loosing weight - that always feel good.

The difference now is that I feel THAT and so much more. I get waaaaaayyyy better sleep, my physical activity is like nothing before, I don't get as stressed anymore, my skin is AMAZING- best it's ever been AND I have unlimited energy- everyday.

I think the real extreme was being 220 lbs eating lots of processed foods and putting my body through lots of stress of insomnia, toxic food and alcohol. Eating healthy, now really is this extreme?
    I can't help wonder if it's part placebo affect.

I'm presming unlimited energy is just a metaphor - ie, you don't compete and win ironman events running at a 5k race pace (which WOULD be unlimited energy :) ).

I'm maybe 'lucky' in that I've always had plenty of energy as far as 'carrying' compared to other people. Sure, I do get tired, but like my dog... put something exciting to do infront of me and I'll be jumping up to do more.
    And this is with eating processed foods (I like to at least clean the dirt off after they come out of the ground, someties I even chop them up and other such nasty processing!), meat and such like! Even more so when I've been doing plenty exercise - which to me seems to be the most likely culprit as far as health goes.

Again; what foods were you eating that are ACTUALLY toxic? Why were you eating them?
    I did eat something toxic a couple of weeks ago - or so the viral gastroenteritis suggests. I certainly didn't mean to and would try and avoid it if possible!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I still think you feel better because you aren't downing 3 bottles of vodka a week. Life is nice without a perma-hangover.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I still think you feel better because you aren't downing 3 bottles of vodka a week. Life is nice without a perma-hangover.

:laugh: Now there;s a good point.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I don't see you as trying to "convert" others. What many of us do see, and are trying to explain, is that your chosen way of eating is deficient in key nutrients. No, you don't have to eat meat (which wasn't the reason you were obese anyway). But if you don't take in adequate healthy fats and complete proteins, your "I feel sooo000 good" isn't going to last. Your health will start to deteriorate, though in a different way than if you had remained obese.

No one is saying fruit and veggies aren't healthy. They're saying that there are other healthy foods as well, that can't be omitted from your diet without consequences. When your body starts asking for those, please listen to it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • elfo
    Options

Agreed-- I think this has A LOT to do with it. I had gone months on end without drinking before- so I don't think it was that alone. It's been a year so i think it's a placebo affect. Plus blood tests don't lie. I think before I was overfed and undernourished. Now I get all the vitamins and nutrients I need from my food. I think this is what gives me the energy. I think you can't know what it's like until you actually do it and see if it's right for you. My diet just started getting cleaner and cleaner and I kept feeling better and better and it just is what it is. I know people that are multi-marathon runners that eat this way and say their recovery is like nothing else on this lifestyle. I'm not anywhere near a marathon yet, but before I started I couldn't even run a 1/4 of a mile without stopping and trust me it's something I had worked on since the beginning. Now I can do 2 miles and continue to cut the time down on my mile. I am planing to do a 5K this summer.
    Anyways- I hope my answering questions doesn't come across some miracle solution that works for everyone. It's NOT an easy lifestyle for everyone, but there are people who make it work and thrive on it.

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rGHDrokbM