Coffee!?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, but I also drink mostly flavored coffee. If I do drink a regular coffee, I might put in a bit of creamer, but usually only about 60 cals worth.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my coffee, and it's delicious! Today was my first try with it, and I used one full scoop for one large mug of coffee (maybe, 16oz?). Tomorrow I'm going to try a half scoop so I can have two mugs of coffee. I can't really justify 2 scoops of powder for breakfast, but one is good for me. :)
  • heathmarie143
    heathmarie143 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was the same way.... gotta have my coffee in the morning but hate giving up all those calories!!! I started drinking mine black with 2 sweet n' lows and it takes away the bitterness. Obviously not as good as the creamer, but at least I get my coffee without the added calories!
  • abickford82
    Options
    I use blue diamond almond milk (the 30 calorie one). I wasn't a huge coffee drinker till I moved the PNW (it's a way of life here, it seems) So for me, I only use about a serving a day (30 calories), in all the cups of coffee I drink. I probably drink 4-6 cups a day, so combined with the almond milk I'm only taking in a good 50 calories extra daily.
  • angiemango
    angiemango Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have sachets of coffee that taste marginally better than instant, four every day, and that's 240 calories... Worth every single calorie though. I couldn't handle life without coffee.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee with tons of flavored syrups and milk. I worked about three years in coffee houses, and my husband has over a decade of barista-ing. One thing I started doing was drinking my lattes iced. Then I started drinking iced Americanos, with flavored syrup (usually hazelnut or cinnamon). Then I slowly cut out the syrup. Now I just drink iced black coffee.

When I try to drink hot black coffee it still hurts my stomach, and it just isn't tasty. Have you tried drinking iced coffee? The acid doesn't turn my stomach, and it's very refreshing. I know it's cold out, so it might not be something you want to try until it's warmer, but I'm actually drinking my iced coffee right now. Granted, I'm in LA, so it's not exactly chilly here.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    Self-identified coffee nerd here. I already had a scale before MFP to measure coffee and water for brewing.

Most coffee is bad coffee. Stale and over-roasted. Starbucks is especially over-roasted. I've even heard the conspiracy theory that Starbucks over-roasts it's regular coffee to push people towards the sweeter and higher margin espresso drinks. The better the coffee, the less cream and sweetener.

If anyone is going to try switching to black coffee, it might be worth trying a better quality black coffee. At a shop, an Americano might be a good thing to try. It's basically a watered down espresso. No calories. It tastes a little sweeter and has less bitterness and burnt taste than poor quality drip coffee.
  • tbecker87
    Options
    I LOVE my coffee also and would only drink it with creamer. I now use flavored coffee beans (Vanilla Caramel is my favorite) and Stevia drops as a sweetener and it's awesome!! Stevia can be a little on the expensive side but the drops last a long time because 1 to 2 drops is the equivalent of about 2 teaspoons of sugar give or take.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Coffee with flavoured creamer (not the low fat sugar free stuff) or 18% table cream. I don't care.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Buy better coffee and drink it black. ****ty coffee needs to be masked with sugar and cream...good coffee doesn't. If anything I put a splash of milk in just to cut it if it's a darker roast, but that's about it.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My favorite coffee is when I have the time to blend it with 1/2 scoop of protein powder. I have high quality vanilla whey from grass-fed cows that I use, and it makes it super creamy and frothy. No milk/cream or sweetener needed! If I want something that has more staying power, I'll add some coconut oil to it for an extra rich treat.

This method also makes a killer mocha:
    1 mug of coffee (minus the mug)
    1/2 to 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
    2 TBSP raw cacao powder (I just think it tastes better than the regular stuff)
    1 TBSP raw cacao butter (coconut oil will work too, but the cacao butter makes it in my opinion)
    Optional: cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt to offset the sweet a bit.

Throw all of the above in to your blender and blend awaaaaaaaay!
  • missy0936
    missy0936 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    never thought of putting my almond milk in there. thanks
  • missy0936
    Options
    I drink it black, but if you like yours sweet and blonde, try using coconut milk instead of flavored creamer. It's more organic, naturally sweet, and creamy enough to turn it plenty blonde. It's also only 45 calories for 8 full ounces, so adding just a tablespoon will barely make a splash in your calorie column. If you need more flavor, add a dash of extract, like vanilla or almond. There are lots of flavors to choose from.

I like this idea thanks
  • missy0936
    Options
    try milk, not cream, and mix in vanilla protein powder, then add the coffee. Lower in cals and higher in protein than using cream, and more flavour too.

another idea to try thanks
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I drink it black, but if you like yours sweet and blonde, try using coconut milk instead of flavored creamer. It's more organic, naturally sweet, and creamy enough to turn it plenty blonde. It's also only 45 calories for 8 full ounces, so adding just a tablespoon will barely make a splash in your calorie column. If you need more flavor, add a dash of extract, like vanilla or almond. There are lots of flavors to choose from.

I drink mine black but that is a great tip!
  • missy0936
    Options
    What about flavored coffee grounds? :smile:

my husband hates flavored so id have to make 2 pots :yawn:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee with splenda and with 2 creams. 50 Calories totall
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have coffee everyday with full-flavored creamer. I measure out the tablespoon for each cup and am okay with the extra 105 calories it adds. If you like creamer, just make room for it by cutting elsewhere.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Buy better coffee and drink it balck.

Seriously. Most people add things to disguise the crummy aspects of bad coffee.

Beat me to it. This x 10000
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. Oh, wait... you weren't offering...

in all seriousness, if it's something you can't do without, make room for it. I need my coffee, and I like it with cream and sugar; I especially like flavored creamers (although, they sometimes can be *too* sweet for my taste) I like my coffee lighter than I do sweet. I've tried to go without sugar in my coffee, and it just doesn't work. So I make it fit into my daily allottment.