WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that animal food products are bad for your physical being after reading the China Study (please read this study). It was a wide eye opener. My husband and I decided to go vegan. No it,s not easy and no it is not a diet. It is a new way of life. So far so good. Yes we lost weight but more importantly we feel so much better. I actually love the food. We don't eat just raw but a variety of vegetables, beans, grains anf fruit and vegies. After 4 years of struggling with weight I have found a new way of life.

Love it! Everyone has to find their own path for what works for them for where they're at in their life. I wanted to share this because -like you - I feel sooo000 good and I love the food I eat. I think it's interesting poeple read this and think we're trying to "convert" others. If it's not for you, that's fine, but I don't understand all the negativity and backlash. Like if eating fresh fruits and vegetables was the worst thing a person could do. I think people also don't realize that I was coming from an obese lifestyle being 220 lbs. If anything THAT's what the concern should be - not that I'm no longer eating meat.

I still think you feel better because you aren't downing 3 bottles of vodka a week. Life is nice without a perma-hangover.

:laugh: Now there;s a good point.

Agreed-- I think this has A LOT to do with it. I had gone months on end without drinking before- so I don't think it was that alone. It's been a year so i think it's a placebo affect. Plus blood tests don't lie. I think before I was overfed and undernourished. Now I get all the vitamins and nutrients I need from my food. I think this is what gives me the energy. I think you can't know what it's like until you actually do it and see if it's right for you. My diet just started getting cleaner and cleaner and I kept feeling better and better and it just is what it is. I know people that are multi-marathon runners that eat this way and say their recovery is like nothing else on this lifestyle. I'm not anywhere near a marathon yet, but before I started I couldn't even run a 1/4 of a mile without stopping and trust me it's something I had worked on since the beginning. Now I can do 2 miles and continue to cut the time down on my mile. I am planing to do a 5K this summer.
    Anyways- I hope my answering questions doesn't come across some miracle solution that works for everyone. It's NOT an easy lifestyle for everyone, but there are people who make it work and thrive on it.

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rGHDrokbM

Seriously, you have to quit using Youtube as a source of information.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Love it! Everyone has to find their own path for what works for them for where they're at in their life. I wanted to share this because -like you - I feel sooo000 good and I love the food I eat. I think it's interesting poeple read this and think we're trying to "convert" others. If it's not for you, that's fine, but I don't understand all the negativity and backlash. Like if eating fresh fruits and vegetables was the worst thing a person could do. I think people also don't realize that I was coming from an obese lifestyle being 220 lbs. If anything THAT's what the concern should be - not that I'm no longer eating meat.

I don't see you as trying to "convert" others. What many of us do see, and are trying to explain, is that your chosen way of eating is deficient in key nutrients. No, you don't have to eat meat (which wasn't the reason you were obese anyway). But if you don't take in adequate healthy fats and complete proteins, your "I feel sooo000 good" isn't going to last. Your health will start to deteriorate, though in a different way than if you had remained obese.

No one is saying fruit and veggies aren't healthy. They're saying that there are other healthy foods as well, that can't be omitted from your diet without consequences. When your body starts asking for those, please listen to it.

For sure-- I think that's some thing that I tried to stress in the post that i try to listen to what my body is asking me for. I get fat from things like avocados and nuts and seeds. I get protein from LOTS of greens and things like limited amounts of quinoa, lentils, beans, sprouts, seaweed, etc. and obviously I get my carbs from fruits and veggies.

I am not 100% anything and don't stick to an absolute label or rigid rules. I eat the food that tastes good to me and that my body craves. The cleaner I eat, the cleaner I want to keep eating. If I have food out at restaurants for example wit lots of salt and probably with oils, I don't feel as good as when I cook for myself.

I get regular blood work done and since last year when I started making the big change my calcium has gone from a deficiency -to normal. My folate as well. My cholesterol from high to normal and my doc is well aware of my lifestyle and keep an eye out for what he thinks he needs to but he says everything just gets better.

Trust me - no one here is more concerned about my health than I am. I keep tabs of things.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't see you as trying to "convert" others. What many of us do see, and are trying to explain, is that your chosen way of eating is deficient in key nutrients. No, you don't have to eat meat (which wasn't the reason you were obese anyway). But if you don't take in adequate healthy fats and complete proteins, your "I feel sooo000 good" isn't going to last. Your health will start to deteriorate, though in a different way than if you had remained obese.

No one is saying fruit and veggies aren't healthy. They're saying that there are other healthy foods as well, that can't be omitted from your diet without consequences. When your body starts asking for those, please listen to it.

For sure-- I think that's some thing that I tried to stress in the post that i try to listen to what my body is asking me for. I get fat from things like avocados and nuts and seeds. I get protein from LOTS of greens and things like limited amounts of quinoa, lentils, beans, sprouts, seaweed, etc. and obviously I get my carbs from fruits and veggies.

I am not 100% anything and don't stick to an absolute label or rigid rules. I eat the food that tastes good to me and that my body craves. The cleaner I eat, the cleaner I want to keep eating. If I have food out at restaurants for example wit lots of salt and probably with oils, I don't feel as good as when I cook for myself.

I get regular blood work done and since last year when I started making the big change my calcium has gone from a deficiency -to normal. My folate as well. My cholesterol from high to normal and my doc is well aware of my lifestyle and keep an eye out for what he thinks he needs to but he says everything just gets better.

Trust me - no one here is more concerned about my health than I am. I keep tabs of things.

10% of calories from fat while in a calorie deficit is horrendously inadequate. Same for protein.
  • elfo
    Options
    Jonnithan the video was not a source of "information" it was just a really cool story I wanted to share.
    Come on a 60 year old couple that ran all the way across australia- that's pretty damn cool!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that animal food products are bad for your physical being after reading the China Study (please read this study). It was a wide eye opener. My husband and I decided to go vegan. No it,s not easy and no it is not a diet. It is a new way of life. So far so good. Yes we lost weight but more importantly we feel so much better. I actually love the food. We don't eat just raw but a variety of vegetables, beans, grains anf fruit and vegies. After 4 years of struggling with weight I have found a new way of life.

I still think you feel better because you aren't downing 3 bottles of vodka a week. Life is nice without a perma-hangover.

:laugh: Now there;s a good point.

Agreed-- I think this has A LOT to do with it. I had gone months on end without drinking before- so I don't think it was that alone. It's been a year so i think it's a placebo affect. Plus blood tests don't lie. I think before I was overfed and undernourished. Now I get all the vitamins and nutrients I need from my food. I think this is what gives me the energy. I think you can't know what it's like until you actually do it and see if it's right for you. My diet just started getting cleaner and cleaner and I kept feeling better and better and it just is what it is. I know people that are multi-marathon runners that eat this way and say their recovery is like nothing else on this lifestyle. I'm not anywhere near a marathon yet, but before I started I couldn't even run a 1/4 of a mile without stopping and trust me it's something I had worked on since the beginning. Now I can do 2 miles and continue to cut the time down on my mile. I am planing to do a 5K this summer.
    Anyways- I hope my answering questions doesn't come across some miracle solution that works for everyone. It's NOT an easy lifestyle for everyone, but there are people who make it work and thrive on it.

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rGHDrokbM

Well, yeah! I'm a drinker and won't deny that but I imagine it would take several months to completely dry out and start feeling better. All the things that come with drinking are hard on diets. Personally, I know when I drink more than one glass of wine I will overeat and I won't get up for my AM workout.

That said, I still drink wine about twice a week. I also eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie goals and macros. In less than a year, I went from not being very fit to CrossFitting four times a week, running a couple times a week, knocking out several 5ks and completing a Tough Mudder.

So, with all due respect, the sensationalism of a couple of Frutarians who ran a marathon everyday doesn't really interest me. Good for them, but it doesn't really have anything to do with me. I'm interested in progressing my fitness, sticking to my food routine (mostly) and enjoying my life without needless restrictions.

Quite honestly, having recovered from an ED, I think this diet is just another way to make ED behaviors more publicly acceptable. This is not a fact, this is just my opinion.

All that aside, best of luck on your 5k. That's a good goal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you have to quit using Youtube as a source of information.
    This.

I had to down-rate to make up for having given the idiot another 'view' on his counter.

For the couple's lifestyle of lots of running definitely does need loads of carbs and muscle mass is the enemy for long distance runners as it goes. So yes, if you want to have not much muscle at all and a long distance runner's body, this diet will certainly be less harmful than say using it to try and attain a 'fintess model' body.

I think Eddie Izzard's stuff is much more noteworthy personally...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8256589.stm
    Ok, he only did 43 marathons in 51 days - he had Sundays off - but he also only had five weeks of preparation!
  • elfo
    Options
    Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
    Grams of protein needed each day
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

I AM NOT DEFICIENT IN PROTEIN !!!

Screenshot2014-01-29at125625PM_zpsdd148589.png
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

57 grams is about half of what you need to optimally maintain muscle mass while losing weight.

The RDAs do not apply to people who exercise intensely, nor people who are losing weight. You might be eating enough protein to prevent actual disease, but you are not eating nearly enough to prevent excessive lean mass loss.

Your fat intake is another story. Your fat intake is absolutely low enough to cause serious long-term health problems. 8 grams a day is horrifically low.

>400 grams of carbs and <10 grams of fat is mind-blowing.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    is Trader Joe's raw vegan? Shouldn't you be making your orange juice?

Disclaimer: I have just come back from the pub so may not know what I'm typing.
  • elfo
    Options
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

57 grams is about half of what you need to optimally maintain muscle mass while losing weight.

The RDAs do not apply to people who exercise intensely, nor people who are losing weight. You might be eating enough protein to prevent actual disease, but you are not eating nearly enough to prevent excessive lean mass loss.

Your fat intake is another story. Your fat intake is absolutely low enough to cause serious long-term health problems. 8 grams a day is horrifically low.

Can you provide a reference for this? I personally know people that are body builders that eat like this and they are able to put on muscle mass.

My fat will range on a weekly basis not on a daily basis to about 10-15%. Some days I might have low fat, but then another day I will make something that is more high in fat- it averages out.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and another - Dean Karnazes who ran 50 marathons in 50 days - I expect a good bit quicker than the couple featured in the Australian one now eats a Neanderthal diet. Just as silly to my mind - maybe all that running causes some, ah, 'issues' :P.
    Oh and he's run 350 miles without stopping. Seriously; in the UK most people can't do that on a car and wouldn't on a motorbike.

As for protein - if you're maintaining weight, that's probably 'ok'... but where do you get the RDAs from? What research are they based on?

And yes; your fat levels seem SERIOUSLY low to me.
  • elfo
    Options

Ha! I did make my own -- I think I just saw freshly squeezed and just added that- but yes I don't have pasterurized juice - I make my own.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

Can you provide a reference for this? I personally know people that are body builders that eat like this and they are able to put on muscle mass.

My fat will range on a weekly basis not on a daily basis to about 10-15%. Some days I might have low fat, but then another day I will make something that is more high in fat- it averages out.

Literary review references for the protein claim:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
    http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

What she has selected is. I'm pretty sure nobody crammed a steak and deviled eggs into her pineapple tidbits bag or grilled her orange juice with a side of bacon. :laugh: You must have enjoyed yourself at the pub!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

56 grams? My breakfast practically contains that much! You might lose weight, but you certainly won't be building any significant strength gains.

ETA: You say vegan bodybuilders "eat like this" and build muscle. Here is a link to one that is vegan. They eat 300 grams of protein a day. http://vivalavegan.net/community/articles/172-where-do-vegan-bodybuilders-get-their-protein.html
  • elfo
    Options
    So let's see what happens this year??? I am monitoring what I eat and my workouts and I'm keeping a video diary. I will come back to this post on the first of every month with stats and pics. How do I track muscle gain for you guys other than pics?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So let's see what happens this year??? I am monitoring what I eat and my workouts and I'm keeping a video diary. I will come back to this post on the first of every month with stats and pics. How do I track muscle gain for you guys other than pics?

Body fat measurements. I personally use the 3-site method with calipers, using a body fat scale as a sanity check.

Also, I know of no bodybuilders of any kind who eat 56 grams of protein a day. Pretty sure you're mistaken about that one.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

What she has selected is. I'm pretty sure nobody crammed a steak and deviled eggs into her pineapple tidbits bag or grilled her orange juice with a side of bacon. :laugh: You must have enjoyed yourself at the pub!

Ok I am now confused. I only commented as she is RAW vegan and has stated homemade juice but also trader joes. We don't have trader joes in the UK so I know nothing about them other than they are not raw (I think). I don't get the whole bacon and deviled egg comment.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but that seems like a crazy amount of sugar to me, especially with so little fat or protein to offset the impact on blood sugar levels.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ok I am now confused. I only commented as she is RAW vegan and has stated homemade juice but also trader joes. We don't have trader joes in the UK so I know nothing about them other than they are not raw (I think). I don't get the whole bacon and deviled egg comment.

Trader Joe's is a grocery store that specializes in whole and organic foods. Pretty sure they sell orange juice that is both raw and vegan. I've actually never heard of cooked orange juice and I'm not sure what animal ingredients typical OJ contains.