WHy I follow a low fat raw vegan diet

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    57 grams of protein? Wow.

LOL. I'm trying so hard to double that and then some. :laugh:
    If I only got triple that, I'd be looking for some chicken breast to snack on!

Oh and not being able to run 5k - I suspect OP has a good deal of health benefits that could be gained from being generally more healthy. Despite not having done any running for ages I managed to knock out a 30min 5k off the cuff when I started again a while ago - 6 months before that did a rather a slow 10k (good bits of walking, including diversion to get my dog) not having done any cardio at all for some time bar one instance of running a mile and a half with dogs where I nearly collapsed at the end!

I love your story about the 5k because that's why I love strength training. When I started CrossFit, I hadn't run in 5+ years. Our coaches incorporate running into the workouts, but it's not exactly like getting out there and running a 5k. But, lo and behold, a relatively healthy diet and 6 months of CrossFit later I decided to give it a whirl and knocked out a 5k somewhere in the 33 minute mark. By October, I had it down to 30 minutes. Strength training really helps!

Now I'm trying to focus on getting more protein. Someone told me a 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carb diet would be good, so I'm trying for that. It's been hard, so yesterday I started with protein shakes and it's the first time I hit my protein mark dead on. So, I'm going to try to keep it up within reason unless a 40% protein diet is a bad idea...I'm not really sure. :-)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I suspect that may be part of it for me.
    While I hadn't even been doing strength training then, I HAD been moving a decent sized industrial unit's worth of car parts (including gearboxes, whole doors and so on) into another industrial unit for often 12hour+ days. Oh and I should note WHILE doing the work moving stuff I was mostly eating ready meals (VERY processed) and generally around 1300 calories total. Lost weight pretty quickly, but started using MFP when I decided I should probably focus on protein more as I was maybe very slightly losing strength - certainly not gaining any despite doing a lot of picking up of heavy stuff.

Incidentally, most things looking at that sort of thing semi-seriously suggest a fixed amount for protein - generally somewhere between 1g/lb of lean mass and 1g/lb of weight, then maybe a fixed amount of fat and the rest carbs. Studies have shown your body can't use more than a certain amount of protein (unless you're taking steroids, anyway), and if you have lots of carbs to make it up (energy) it should be more efficient at using the protein.

Some days I'm way higher protein than that - unless you already have a problem with protein, there shouldn't be anything wrong with 40% - on my rest days I'm often way higher than that!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I should get enough to match by body weight today, but probably won't get the full 40 percent of total calories. I already worked out but I want to try this new kickboxing class my gym is offering tonight, so it will be a double burn. Can't eat that much!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    No worries; research has fairly consistently shown there's no particular advantage having over that sort of amount of protein.
    Depending on your existing deficit and other matters, there may, however, be a benefit to having enough calories.

As you're fairly light from your ticker and haven't got much to go, a large deficit can mean muscle loss. So you may want to consider eating more. Personally, I use such situations to have a chocolate bar, cake or similar - usually something calorie dense I can get to fit my macros there or abouts. I've been having to eat more and more to avoid losing too fast - though currently am tempted to lose a bit faster for a bit.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    In addition to just feeling and looking better from eating this way. I just don't want to support the industry as it is. It's not that I don't think humans shouldn't eat meat, but I don't think that animals should be treated as they are. It's something that I don't want to support and I don't think others would if they knew the truth. Most people aren't even aware of what goes on. See how far into this you can watch. I know there are people that will watch and not care. I am not one of those people.
    http://meatvideo.com/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In addition to just feeling and looking better from eating this way. I just don't want to support the industry as it is. It's not that I don't think humans should eat meat, but I don't think that animals should be treated as they are. Most people aren't even aware of what goes on. Watch this if you dare..
    http://meatvideo.com/

You seem to get all your information from highly-biased shock video and book sources.
  • elfo
    Options
    It's not information. It's a side note.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah, but you've posted a lot of links for "information." All of them have been to highly biased sources which are either selling something or part of an organization's marketing campaign.

There's a lot to be concerned about in this thread.
  • elfo
    Options
    selling what exactly?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    selling what exactly?

Books, website memberships, that kind of thing. The one you just posted was a marketing page for an animal-rights group. So it's really just an advertisement.

Also, you requested information about protein consumption, which I provided in the form of peer-reviewed studies and scientific literature reviews. You seem to have ignored this information, presumably because it wasn't shocking pseudoscience.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options

Yeah, but you've posted a lot of links for "information." All of them have been to highly biased sources which are either selling something or part of an organization's marketing campaign.

There's a lot to be concerned about in this thread.
    Yeah, but I don't think many are buying it, there's just too much pitch in this thread, and mostly based on propaganda.
  • elfo
    Options
    I provided protein recommendations as well from the CDC and from the WHO.
    I don't know what website memberships you're talking about and any books are for for information. The video is a look at what happens because it's on a webpage you assume that it's a marketing page? For what? It's not selling anything just providing info. Take or not as you wish. The meat and dairy industry spend $40 million lobbying. They have a huge impact on regulation about what we eat.
    I really don't want to get into a whole ethical debate about this but meat today is not what it was 50 years ago. The way it's mass produced now is just no the same. Animals are not fed the same, they're pumped with steroids and antibiotics, and the bottom line is WE eat that.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I provided protein recommendations as well from the CDC and from the WHO.
    I don't know what website memberships you're talking about and any books are for for information. The video is a look at what happens because it's on a webpage you assume that it's a marketing page? For what? It's not selling anything just providing info. Take or not as you wish. The meat and dairy industry spend $40 million lobbying. They have a huge impact on regulation about what we eat.
    I really don't want to get into a whole ethical debate about this but meat today is not what it was 50 years ago. The way it's mass produced now is just no the same. Animals are not fed the same, they're pumped with steroids and antibiotics, and the bottom line is WE eat that.

Yes, and I provided recent scientific studies showing that the CDC recommendations for protein intake are insufficient for people losing weight who want to retain muscle mass.

The video you posted has a link on the page to "Mercy for Animals." The video also concludes with their logo. The animal rights organization Mercy for Animals produced the video and pays for the website and hosting. It's literally a video advertisement for the group. It's not an unbiased source.

You clearly care more about shock video advertisements than actual science.

Carry on with your Youtube diet.
  • elfo
    Options
    Thank you. I will carry on because it's made me go from this...to this...
    back_zpsdb1b1418.jpg[/URL]
    AND because I have lowered my cholesterol. I no longer have a calcium deficiency or any other dificiencies because I feel amazing, because I am happier than I have ever been in my life and I get to enjoy delicious food and workout doing things I love!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    AND because I have lowered my cholesterol. I no longer have a calcium deficiency or any other dificiencies because I feel amazing, because I am happier than I have ever been in my life and I get to enjoy delicious food and workout doing things I love!

Not to take anything away from your accomplishment, but some of that weight loss can be attributed to following a high protein diet (per your profile) so it's not just the raw vegan diet that has created the transformation?
  • elfo
    Options
    You have to understand that it's not profitable for people to eat this way-- it doesn't help the pharmaceutical industry nor the meat or dairy industry and so there's no money being put towards researching this. The proof is in the pudding. You just have to try and see if it works for you. The problem is the lack of information. People go on juice cleanses and they feel great but then they go back to what they were eating because you can't juice for ever.
    The bottom line here is GET THE VEGGIES IN!!! However you do that - just do it. They give you the vitamins and nutrients and energy you need and make sure you get enough of them. If you want to eat meat then go eat meat- but get the veggies in!!!
    Meat isn't bad but excess animal protein is. Heart disease is the #1 killer and just reducing the amount of animal protein can help lower the risk of heart disease. So that's it. Keep the animal protein low and veggies high.
  • elfo
    Options

Not to take anything away from your accomplishment, but some of that weight loss can be attributed to following a high protein diet (per your profile) so it's not just the raw vegan diet that has created the transformation?

Totally! I am actually smaller than that now and continue to get smaller. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT on a high protein diet, there are just more risks associated with it. For example towards the end I started getting really constipated and while my skin got better in the begining it started getting really oily and breaking out after a while. Also my cholesterol was really high and putting your body in constant ketosis puts your kidneys in stress. Whatever- being 220lbs isn't healthy either.
    Everyone has to do what's right for them.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Were you getting enough fibre? Where you get a reasonable amount of micro-nutrients?
  • elfo
    Options
    I was eating only veggies and animal protein -- lots of fiber. Look I've been doing this for a year now. If at some point I feel it's not working for me I will change that. The point for me is to BE healthy not to be thin. I just feel healthier than ever and according to my doc and test results I am. This is just my journey.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was eating only veggies and animal protein -- lots of fiber. Look I've been doing this for a year now. If at some point I feel it's not working for me I will change that. The point for me is to BE healthy not to be thin. I just feel healthier than ever and according to my doc and test results I am. This is just my journey.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with no significant health consequences with your plan.

Many of our advancements and discoveries as a species have relied on daredevils who defy conventional wisdom and fully partake a path that seems absolutely ludicrous. Godspeed.