Xbox or PS4 for 7 year old?

Options

Replies

• chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you posted this in the wrong section.... this might be more of a "chit chat fun and games" topic.... I didn't see any inquiry about fitness and exercise at all... :wink:

cause sailing and boating and encouraging your kid to get outdoors and do physical things, as opposed to video games, doesnt have ANYTHING to do with physical fitness.
  • dropdeadgreggie_
    dropdeadgreggie_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Both of my kids are avid gamers, between my house and their mother's they have access to pretty much any system on the market right now (with the exception of the Xbox One and PS4).

They also both happen to be very healthy and athletic, participate in multiple sports and are on the honor roll. Homework and chores are a priority.

It's simple, if their grades drop, they lose the privilege of playing games. Don't blame video games for poor parenting choices, that's like blaming a spoon for making you fat.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    How about neigher, How about letting him earn it with Great grades and great decisions.

If you get him into games, you will never get him out of it.

Homework will start to go
    School work will start to go
    staying up very late.. etc.

happened to me when i was in second grade. got a Nintendo and my grades took a nose dive.

i refuse to buy my goddaughters a Wii.

That's unfortunate that your parents let bad behavior turn into a habit. :ohwell:

ETA: How does one go about getting bad grades in the second grade? Seriously, wtf?

I was wondering the same thing.

It's about setting limits as a parent, that's part of the parenting gig!!

Now I would suggest a PS3 as well, just because there are more games for a 7 y/o and it'll take at least a year for playstation to identify all the little bugs in their new system.

Regardless of your selection, treat the gaming systems like a PC. Set it up in a common area (Living room - not the child's bedroom). This will make it easier to limit gaming time.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    PS4.....I would wait until they relaunch it though.(bugs,etc 1st edition)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How about neigher, How about letting him earn it with Great grades and great decisions.

happened to me when i was in second grade. got a Nintendo and my grades took a nose dive.

That's unfortunate that your parents let bad behavior turn into a habit. :ohwell:

ETA: How does one go about getting bad grades in the second grade? Seriously, wtf?

spelling tests, math, etc etc.

i think they just didn't know. video games were new, and it took a couple of months or so for my grades to really plummet.

and i wouldn't say it was bad behavior. it was just a distraction that got out of hand. they kinda curtailed it soon enough. and i'm okay now. i have an engineering degree and working on my masters.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    He asked for a console recommendation, not parenting advice. It's none of our business how he raises his kid.

And PS4 /end thread

no he didn't. he actually didn't ask for any advice.

he said that he got the sailing club thing.

TOPIC: Xbox or PS4 for 7 year old?

He asked.

true. however, from reading his post i gathered that he was all like "which one should i get him? nah, just kidding, i'm getting him sailing lessons."
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went with sailing. I was surprised that joining the sailing club and going sailing works out so much cheaper than buying a console and then buying games.

Turned into an interesting thread for me though. My boy isn't really interested in computer games or TV at the moment. I'm sure this time will come so it's nice to know he's not going to become a psychotic drug dealing drop out from playing mario karts.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Worked for me! LOL!!

If you do end up buying him a console, buy a new one. Buy the games used from a local pawn shop that guarantees them to work. They are about 20%-50% cost of new games.

Would use the console as an incentive for him to finish chores or lift heavy things with his friends before they go to prison..
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    get him legos and gi joes
  • LaurenPell123
    LaurenPell123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There appears to be a lot of people missing the reference to the sailing club made at the end of the post...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The 3DS would be most appropriate IMO, and Nintendo have a good selection of fitness, health and educational offerings as well simply fun games.

The PS4 is cool too. Get him Lego Marvel if you go for that.

FWIW, I was a competitive swimmer, 99th percentile student and played video games a helluva lot.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Neither. Get the kid a gaming computer. Effing console people...calling themselves gamers. Please.

:laugh: :drinker:

:drinker: :bigsmile:
    BAM!! Agree

but seriously, if you're going console, a 7yr old doesn't need a ps4.. start smaller.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    cause sailing and boating and encouraging your kid to get outdoors and do physical things, as opposed to video games, doesnt have ANYTHING to do with physical fitness.
    Apparently you've never played Just Dance or anything for the Wii fit. There are a lot of video games now that actually require movement. The new Xbox Kinect is pretty cool, apparently it can even track your heart rate. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed some decent workout games for it.
    Both of my kids are avid gamers, between my house and their mother's they have access to pretty much any system on the market right now (with the exception of the Xbox One and PS4).

They also both happen to be very healthy and athletic, participate in multiple sports and are on the honor roll. Homework and chores are a priority.

It's simple, if their grades drop, they lose the privilege of playing games. Don't blame video games for poor parenting choices, that's like blaming a spoon for making you fat.
    This, same with my kids. Kids can be distracted by anything, it isn't just video games. That's why you have to act like parents once in a while.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There appears to be a lot of people missing the reference to the sailing club made at the end of the post...
    No I got it, but there's no point comparing apples to oranges. You can own a video game console and still go sailing.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The sailing sounds like fun. I bought my girls and myself year passes to a rail way museum and we are getting lots of fun out of that.

On the gaming topic.... We have 360, play station 3 , I pads and the girls have a ds each. They are 7 and 4. I would say they spend most of the time playing with their my little pony toys, or train set, and reading. Well the four year looks at the pictures. They do play their consoles a bit, but we also limit them. The eldest is learning that she shouldn't play all day and the four year old will get it soon. My advice though when buying any expensive item is to get what the household can use. All these things belong to everyone in our family.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

i think they just didn't know. video games were new, and it took a couple of months or so for my grades to really plummet.

and i wouldn't say it was bad behavior. it was just a distraction that got out of hand. they kinda curtailed it soon enough. and i'm okay now. i have an engineering degree and working on my masters.

Yeah, I got 100% on everything in 2nd grade. Second grade is a piece of cake. That's what I'm saying. It wasn't until I got to high school that I made less than an "A." Most of second grade is just repeating what was learned in first grade. And *clearly* poor performance in 2nd grade did not affect your career...

I think this was *your* problem, and you are trying to pretend that everyone has the same issues. Don't put your baggage on others. I played Atari in second grade, and I practiced the piano every evening, cuz guess what? There's no homework in second grade, just "seat" work that you do at school.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes, I went with sailing. I was surprised that joining the sailing club and going sailing works out so much cheaper than buying a console and then buying games.

Turned into an interesting thread for me though. My boy isn't really interested in computer games or TV at the moment. I'm sure this time will come so it's nice to know he's not going to become a psychotic drug dealing drop out from playing mario karts.

I would be scared to let a 7 year old on a boat! Kudos for your bravery!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Didn't miss it. See my post above.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Yeah, I got 100% on everything in 2nd grade. Second grade is a piece of cake. That's what I'm saying. It wasn't until I got to high school that I made less than an "A." Most of second grade is just repeating what was learned in first grade. And *clearly* poor performance in 2nd grade did not affect your career...

I think this was *your* problem, and you are trying to pretend that everyone has the same issues. Don't put your baggage on others. I played Atari in second grade, and I practiced the piano every evening, cuz guess what? There's no homework in second grade, just "seat" work that you do at school.

i had homework in second grade.

and i never said that everyone would have the same issues as me. i just said that when i got a nintendo, my grades dropped.

why are you getting up all in arms about this?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

i had homework in second grade.

and i never said that everyone would have the same issues as me. i just said that when i got a nintendo, my grades dropped.

why are you getting up all in arms about this?

Up in arms? My arms are all in my closet at home. :wink: :laugh:

I just think your comment was full of projection and nonsense.:smokin: