This Cures Depression

Options

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I had post partum depression.

Damn, I should have just thought happy thoughts to fix it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I feel thoroughly educated at this point. Wish you all the best with your avenues of recovery, whatever they may be.

200_s.gif

Thank you for reading with an open mind and considering what we have to say :flowerforyou:
    Agreed, it was a class act for you to be able to say this, OP.

I think your advice is good stuff for people not dealing with off-balance brain chemicals. For someone who is now well-managed like me, your stuff reads like a lot of what you'll learn in CBT (which I need, in conjunction with anti-depressants, diet, exercise, vitamin D, and light therapy). For someone who can't get the energy together to brush their teeth or take a shower, it's a bit much. I'm glad you understand that now.
  • LizMaddPear
    LizMaddPear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People have already covered what I would have said, and the OP has recognised that their post isn't a one-size-fits-all solution (heck, that concept doesn't even apply to CLOTHES!), but I'd just like to link to this Cracked article-
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-facts-everyone-gets-wrong-about-depression/

Y'know, for a humour site they have a lot of good stuff about serious matters....
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

No. depression is an illness that makes you feel utterly worthless and like there's absolutely no point in you doing anything, and trying to get anything done when you're suffering from it is like wading through treacle when there's absolutely no point to wading through treacle and it's better to just let yourself stagnate, drown and die.

This is a perfect description of how I feel almost all of the time. And I have not given up on a g*dd**n thing. I continue to search for additional non-medicinal ways to manage this evil thing that has invaded my brain, and every single day I still get up and take care of my family. Most days I'd rather lie in bed, and some days I'd much rather kill myself, but guess what? I keep fighting it. But it doesn't mean it's not real, and it doesn't mean that "positive thoughts" will "cure" it. Also, as I've spent the last two + years pretty much exhausting all non-medicinal routes, this is probably the year I will have to go on medication for it. Because I am so sick of feeling like this.

TMI. *shrug*

ETA: just a note that I have absolutely no reason to feel this way. I have an amazing life, and yet here it is, dragging me down the rabbit hole.

Also, thanks to zyxst for posting that blog...great stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a depressed person really just gives up on everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No. depression is an illness that makes you feel utterly worthless and like there's absolutely no point in you doing anything, and trying to get anything done when you're suffering from it is like wading through treacle when there's absolutely no point to wading through treacle and it's better to just let yourself stagnate, drown and die.
    So my definition isn't close enough? Mine is just a cliff note of this right?:wink: Again, I'm not an expert at all in this field, but from a diagnosed person, this is what I have observed.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    ~sighs deeply~

While what you suggest probably will relate to some people, it's complete nonsense for others.

Not all depression is circumstantial.

Yah.

The following is a helpful overview of the subject:

http://www.upworthy.com/what-is-depression-let-this-animation-with-a-dog-shed-light-on-it

What a terrible name for a dog.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You clearly have no experience in this arena as you haven't added it to your ridiculous signature.
    No I've experienced it, I just have no expertise in it. And what don't you like about my sig? It's legit.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I didn't say a person with depression or a person with something broken don't need meds.....I'm saying NOT everyone one does......some people go about it because others encourage them or direct them in that particular way.
    \

You said all depression can be helped by an alternative to drugs, and that you don't advocate any medication. I must have misunderstood that to mean that you were saying that all depression could be treated by other means and no one should take medication. I'm sorry that I misunderstood your point.

You're right, there are other things that help depression. So far for me exercise hasn't made a significant difference, but I have found a lot of hope and peace in my religion. And not everyone needs medication.

But some of us do. That doesn't make me weak or dependent. If a person with asthma needs to user their inhaler on a hike, that doesn't make them weak or dependent. They have a condition that they have to treat. Period.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

*SMH*

FYI, here's the definition of clinical depression: a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention

NOT a choice. REQUIRES clinical intervention. If you're just talking about pessimists and negative nancies, that's not a DEPRESSED person. I do agree that some people are just NEGATIVE and choose to stay that way. But depression is not a choice. To suggest that is insensitive at best.
    I'm not an expert on it by no means. I'm speaking from people who have been diagnosed with it whom I've observed. I'm very well aware of people who are pessimists and negative nancy's (I deal with them daily) who just that way naturally. I'm speaking of people who despite support and caring, can't seem to "brighten" up in any way.

IDEA Fitness member

Perhaps because clinical depression, like any other disease, cannot be cured by support and caring.
    Something for me to research since it's not something I've had to deal with much. Practically everyone I've dealt with in my line of work are looking for improvement and change. I am convinced that chemical reactions in the brain will effect emotions, thinking and sexual preference, but again, not at all versed in how depression actually works. I do know it can be treated with drug protocols though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I think anyone who ever had depression, or has a loved one who went through depression would find this insanely insulting.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I think what OP is referring to is the kind of lower-grade "depression" that occurs in normal cycles in a normal person's life. That is NOT true depression. The word depression is thrown around much too liberally these days.

You certainly can't tell me that this would work with a soldier with PTSD-induced-depression that has a rope around his neck! PTSD-induced-depression is circumstantial.

My clinical depression is a part of who I am. After therapy and medication, I realize that. And part of my problem that made it worse was that I was trying to convince myself I was ok - put on a smile and surround myself with happy people. Guess what - it didn't work! *gasp*. Even after trying to "shake it off', I still found myself with my hands around my colicky daughter's neck because she wouldn't stop crying (no worries I didn't do anything, but it scared the living *kitten* out of me and I got help; she is now 8 and a beatiful wonderful girl).

This kind of 'advice' actually adds to the stigma surrounding mental health. 'Don't worry be happy' does not work

Sorry OP, I'm sure your heart was in the right place, but you missed it on this one. Have a great day though :flowerforyou:

^^ this. You are not qualified to be doling out what is not only useless, but insulting advice. Next time, just don't.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

+1. Seriously the worst time in my life, holding this tiny person for whom I was supposed to be overwhelmed with love and joy and just feeling numb and completely unattached, then hating myself even more for feeling that way. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

This is a perfect description of how I feel almost all of the time. And I have not given up on a g*dd**n thing. I continue to search for additional non-medicinal ways to manage this evil thing that has invaded my brain, and every single day I still get up and take care of my family. Most days I'd rather lie in bed, and some days I'd much rather kill myself, but guess what? I keep fighting it. But it doesn't mean it's not real, and it doesn't mean that "positive thoughts" will "cure" it. Also, as I've spent the last two + years pretty much exhausting all non-medicinal routes, this is probably the year I will have to go on medication for it. Because I am so sick of feeling like this.

TMI. *shrug*

ETA: just a note that I have absolutely no reason to feel this way. I have an amazing life, and yet here it is, dragging me down the rabbit hole.

Also, thanks to zyxst for posting that blog...great stuff.
    Honey, I have been where you are. Refusing to admit that medication was needed, insisting that counseling, diet and exercise were going to be enough. I didn't want to have to take pills every day. I didn't want it to change my personality. Well, duh! My personality needed to be changed, that was the point! :laugh: Now I look back more than a dozen years and think, WTF was I worried about?! I still have all the same stressors and I still have to do the work in counseling and I still have to eat right and exercise, but now it doesn't seem to take an inhuman amount of will to do it or an impossible amount of energy to focus. Merely a large amount. *That much* I can muster. :drinker:

The cruelest thing about depression is it causes you to not have the wherewithal to do the one thing you need to do most- reach out for help.

If you can just do that one thing, I promise it's the hardest step.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You clearly have no experience in this arena as you haven't added it to your ridiculous signature.
    No I've experienced it, I just have no expertise in it. And what don't you like about my sig? It's legit.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
    I have no problem with your sig. And I don't think you got where you are without being open to learning and education. This is just a new thing for you to learn about. :wink:

I put in effort and energy with my own trainer to try to improve myself. I want you to know that would not be possible were I not medicated. I wish you could see what my close family members were like. They're not overweight like I am, so you might look at them and immediately think that they're more on-the-ball than me. Until you observed them for a few days to a week, and then you would see how much more capable I am than they are. I think the main difference is the medication and the commitment of years of my time to improving my mental health as well as my physical health.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

+1. Seriously the worst time in my life, holding this tiny person for whom I was supposed to be overwhelmed with love and joy and just feeling numb and completely unattached, then hating myself even more for feeling that way. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    That is so cruel. I'm glad that this is a temporary condition for most mothers, and I'm glad there are treatments available to help you through it. It's really scary for me to think of what happens to some babies, and I don't even like children!
  • ijohn_001
    ijohn_001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mqykrpOYMx1relg8bo1_250.gif
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    tl;dr
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks, I'm cured now. Over a decade of clinical depression and it was this simple :huh:

Bloody hell, this dude should be rich after finding a cure this simple, eh? :laugh: :noway:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I too am an internet psychologist...

45489101.jpg
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Excuses or solutions. You can't go wrong with thinking positive. So... why not!?

All of the negative and sceptic posts here are simply people being closed minded and its those people that are missing out on the wonderful potential that the world has to offer.

Think positive and its incredible how things transform. When you change your attitude about what you are looking at, what you are looking at changes. :wink:

Great original post. Thank you. :flowerforyou: