Why is diet pop bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that artificial sweeteners cause you to produce more insulin?
    if you search the forums for "diet soda insulin" it's all over the place.

Search for Master Cleanse or Starvation Mode and it's all over the place too.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects weight loss at all it has zero calories. It's gross though and tastes like chemicals. I gave up soda for health reasons not weight loss.
  • botanygeek
    botanygeek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well if it's in a forum...
  • wheird
    Options
    I don't think it affects weight loss at all it has zero calories. It's gross thigh and tastes like chemicals. I gave up soda for health reasons not weight loss.

It is NOT gross thigh. :angry:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear that artificial sweeteners cause you to produce more insulin?

If you search the forums for raspberry ketones fat loss it's also all over the place
    I know...I wasn't saying it's true. I was saying that it's one of the reasons people say diet soda is bad.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Lots of good research in the forums... :laugh:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's not bad for weight loss.

This.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

And it's all wrong.
    lol wow people...slow down before you jump all over me...follow the thread...I never said that was true,. I said it is one of the reasons people THINK diet soda is bad.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda right before Thanksgiving. It has had zero effect on my weight in either direction. The only changes I noticed were headaches for the few days after I quit from lack of caffeine, and my usually super-sensitive teeth seem less sensitive.
  • wheird
    Options

And it's all wrong.
    lol wow people...slow down before you jump all over me...follow the thread...I never said that was true,. I said it is one of the reasons people THINK diet soda is bad.

Peace brethren, no one is jumping on you. Just pointing out the fallacy.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    \First, the sodium in the diet soda causes your body to retain water

Why do people say this?

Not sure why water retention would matter anyway seeing as it's fat we're trying to lose, not water

That's because focusing on the scale is a hard habit to break but you're absolutely right that it's about lowering your body fat and improving your overall health. .
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    They that when you drink it it takes over your brain and makes you run around and swallow anything that is remotely sweet in sight.

One of the main reason why i'm here is to control my appetite. Seriously run around and eat sweets? Like I havent thought about that already and I dont even drink diet soda.... :grumble:
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    They say it's sweet and causes you body to throw insulin in your blood. As your body doesn't really get any sugar, it starts craving it.

But it depends on you. I drink it daily and I've lost a lot of weight.
  • wcboldt
    wcboldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    some studies showed that when people drink "diet" sodas, they tend to make up those calories somewhere else (as though giving up the full-calorie soda freed up those calories). I don't have resources, it's just something I've read a zillion times over a lot of years. Of course...if you are counting your calories...then you won't fall into that trap.

Other people have bad things to say about it...but anything I'd say would be random stuff I've read but have no resources to back up or disprove. (like artificial sweeteners messing with insulin responses, etc)
    I've seen those studies; the ones that I've seen have shown some correlation between drinking diet soda and eating higher calorie foods. That sounds to me very much like the old 'joke' about the person walking into the diner and ordering a chocolate cake and a diet soda, as if the zero calorie drink will magically eliminate the 600 or so calories in the diner-sized portion of dessert.
  • wheird
    Options
    Diet soda offers zero health benefits yet people can't wait to defend it. Sodium causes water retention. That is a biological fact. And that may be the least of diet soda's negative side effects.

It offers no detriments either. And it typically has less than 100mg of sodium in it.

So...uhhhhh
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Yes, but we need sodium, and diet pop has about the equivalent sodium of a stick of celery.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The amount of sodium in diet soda is negligible compared to many things typically touted as good for you.
  • FitForRiding
    Options
    Why would you want to consume something with artificial sweeteners?
    AND...Study after study has proven that reg soda vs diet made no difference in regards to weight loss.
    A better alternative; mineral water with balsamic fruit vinegar or natural flavored stevia drops added.