Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    People use age as an excuse. It's not the age that's the problem, it's the other factors that often come with age (like moving a lot less)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have found it easier to maintain after 40. Because I've figured out how to do this whole calorie counting thing, and I know I have to do resistance training to keep my lbm up.
  • Rungirlrun4
    Rungirlrun4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am 46 and have been "dieting" in my head for at least the past 8 years. By that I mean I restrict my food but things sneak in that just shouldn't have been eaten and, well, I learned to turn a blind cheek to it. Now I am finally on track. I have 5-10 pounds to be where I would realistically like to be for my body and can say it is getting easier. It does take more effort but being proud of myself and feeling healthy once again makes it well worth it! Added bonus is that I no longer need to use my kids as props anymore in order to have a picture taken! Lol!
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs this week - I feel like the scale should say 5 at least! I mean I feel a lot lighter... I don't know - im giving it 30 days - that's a good time frame to really judge if its working....

You lost a couple pounds and more importantly you feel lighter. I'd say it's working really well.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    one reason it becomes more difficult for us, is that after a certain age, we begin to lose muscle if we don't take measures to exercise and stay strong...lower muscle mass = slower metabolism. So, one way to stop it from getting even more difficult, is to strength train and work those muscles
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    one reason it becomes more difficult for us, is that after a certain age, we begin to lose muscle if we don't take measures to exercise and stay strong...lower muscle mass = slower metabolism. So, one way to stop it from getting even more difficult, is to strength train and work those muscles
    this

seriously this.

pick up a barbell.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

This 100%!
    YES!! I needed to read this today. Thanks!
  • PatrickXFCE
    PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello from Middle Tennessee!

I'm 46(well I will be in 2 days, anyway) and I have heard that your metabolism slows down after a certain age. In spited of that, I really didn't think about my age when I started this. I just took one look at my weight around the beginning of the year and I knew that I had to make a change.

Feel free to read my diary to check things out. I really didn't do anything extreme.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As I scan through some of the posts, I see there are a lot of people who have the same difficulty as I do. I am 43 and it seems like I can gain 10 pounds just with a simple look at a cookie but it takes all kinds of grueling leaps and bounds and jumping through hoops to lose just 1. Looking for support as I start one more journey toward healthy weight.

In this day and age, It is important to pay attention to the quality of the calories and less about the amount. If you track the right things and make sure your macros are set right; you will find it to be easy. It is not as complicated as it is made out to be. I am over 60; I have not found age to be any obstacle whatsoever.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • CurviiRunnr2014
    CurviiRunnr2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 & it seems the weigh doesn't come off as easy as it did when I turned 30. My life is a lot different now but I'm trying to eliminate all of my excuses. Always looking for more friends & motivation here :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Our 40+ metabolism is a bit slower than it used to be. However, do not let that be a crutch or an excuse. The same principles apply - move more, eat better. You can do this!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight after 40... especially when menopause is around the corner. I lost 50 last year and am working on the last 40 but am seeing some hormonal changes if you catch my drift and I swear it is harder this year than last.. I am constantly bloated for one.. I have to track my sodium with a fine tooth comb or it seems I bloat right up.

Everyone is different at this age, what might be easy for some is more difficult for others.You will just have to find what works for you.. I am still finding my way...seems like it might take twice as long to lose the last 40lbs.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!
    This . The metabolic slowdown is only around 100 calories per 10 years so not a lot. In reality the reason older people think they don't lose weight as easier as they used to is they are less active overall and they sometimes just don't realise it so cling on to this myth. I'm 45 I have had absolutely no problem once I set my goals and stuck to them. I have many people on my friends list both male and female of ages up to 60 and the ones that set their goals and do the work lose weight. I'm afraid your age is not an excuse. If you want it you'll do it.
  • cindymcconnell1966
    Options
    I am not going to lie since hitting the 40's and worse being in menopause I have to work harder. A fellow middle ager and I were laughing at the gym she aid her doctor told her "twice as hard and half the results" but... first week on fitness pal and I lost 3lbs!!! Didn't starve myself, used basically all my calories daily and did some form of exercise daily - sometimes only 20 minutes but I got results so don't give up!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Good luck!
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options

This is so true - its called sarcopenia. We also need to eat more complete protein as we age.
    From wikipedia: Sarcopenia (from the Greek meaning "poverty of flesh") is the degenerative loss of skeletal muscle mass (0.5-1% loss per year after the age of 25), quality, and strength associated with aging.
  • ChrisSpencer71
    Options
    I'm 42 and am finding it super easy to lose weight. Using MFP to count calories and adding some cardio and strength training to my life I'm losing 3.5 pounds per week, on average. I just started 4 weeks ago and I haven't felt this healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally in 20 years. Those feelings alone are an incredible motivator for me. Maybe they will be for you too if you give yourself a chance!

Exercise shouldn't feel gruelling. it's an incredibly positive addition to your life. If you find it gruelling then maybe you need to find a different exercise that you'll enjoy. Best of luck, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some additional encouragement!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I married an Italian:) But, I have no one to blame but myself. I am still at a healthy weight. But, I don't like being in the 140's. So, I set a goal of five pounds by my 43rd and have lost three already. Two more to go. I have been paying more attention to the amount of fat I eat and the calories going in. Increased the amount of exercise.

Feel free to add me!
  • bmason67
    bmason67 Posts: 886
    Options
    , I was at my heaviest two years ago (270). I got serious about strength training and eating clean. Didn’t really count calories at first just cut out the junk, sodas, sugars and other sweets. Hit the gym at least 3 days a week focusing on three body parts; legs, core and upper body. It was very difficult at first, work through the soreness and stick with it. I’ve since refined my workouts and eating habits (notice I didn’t say diet, just eat healthy and clean!). To date I’ve lost 45lbs and gained tons of muscle and strength. I now consume almost 3,000 cals a day and lift 6 days a week. I turn 47 in two weeks.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yeah, our metabolism slows down, we aren't as energetic (naturally), we lose a little muscle and if we hit menopause, its just a little harder on all accounts.

But, then, we may have these things going for us more than we used to:

1. We know what its like to be in something for the long haul, and we have the dedication and the sense to deal with the ups and downs that are going to come along
    2. We have enough self-confidence to walk into a gym and not give a @%#$ about anybody's business but our own
    3. We've achieved something, whether its raising a child, running a business, or building a career, and we know how to put a plan together to get things done
    4. We're old enough to have learned that things don't always come easy, and you just have to deal with it

:)

Good luck!