What are they putting in our food?!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is not a straw man.

A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of the topic of argument. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having denied a proposition by replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then deny it ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.
    ----
    As I see it, the OP was stating that companies were being shady in their labeling/advertising tactics. As an example she pointed out that the fruit flavored cereal in fact had no fruit in it. She used the word chemicals in the statement. The conversation further devolved to a "omg someone paranoid about chemicals" argument rather than one based on the original idea. I would consider that a straw man.

Since I threw the "straw man" flag, I'll explain.

"our food has been getting worse since the 50s due to poor farming"

"Your life expectancy is greater, cause NO POLIO!" Next caller?"

That's a straw man.

no polio has nothing, whatsoever, to do with food, or the discussion at hand. It's just an obnoxious and snarky response, which appears to be some people's stock in trade here.

"I want to eat clean!"

"OMG! You fool! I'll now tear down your goals, because I'm insecure about my own eating habits!"

lather, rinse, repeat.

Did you just quote yourself?

And your straw man comment you threw out lacked any context whatsoever so in context it was not a straw man at all - and your 'clarifier' makes no sense.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is why there are labels on food packages. Read them.

/thread
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

Again sorry but I believe that to be utter nonsense.

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

Iodine, D, B12, iron, suflur, and more.

Research deficiency in any of those.

Is Scientific American a good enough source for you?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

Did you even read what you cited?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

So buying fresh meat, fruit and veg at the supermarket and eating a balance diet is impossible if you buy it all at the supermarket?

And yes there is a difference taste wise between freshly picked veg/fruit and some of the supermarket fruit/veg. But to say that supermarket foods are so lacking that we are all deficient in macronutrients is rubbish.

Well, studies seem to believe otherwise. But I'm sure those studies, since they go against your beliefs, are just hogwash, and nonsense, and probably cost money, so you have to pay for a book or a publication to read about em, so are therefore bunk.

Right?

You're missing the main part of your own claims. The claim that it's impossible to get a nutritionally balanced diet from food. Nothing you've posted supports that claim.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Did you just quote yourself?

And your straw man comment you threw out lacked any context whatsoever so in context it was not a straw man at all - and your 'clarifier' makes no sense.

Meh, two people using the term straw man. I used it originally in the context of the picture.

---
    I see how I could be confused for the other guy, very similar pictures...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you are so concerned, buy a homestead and raise/grow your own food.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Right?

You're missing the main part of your own claims. The claim that it's impossible to get a nutritionally balanced diet from food. Nothing you've posted supports that claim.

This. Interesting article, doesn't back your claims though.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Right?

Yes. Did you?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Right?

If anything, iodine deficiencies are less common today in America than in the '50s. I'd think it would be very difficult to assign deficiencies of these elects to be either primarily the responsibility of supermarket food nor is it difficult to have sufficient of each of these from that type of food.

And no Scientific America, although an enjoyable read, is not a good source.
    Always go to the source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15637215

Which states a decline in some micro nutrients (and none in many), not that you will have a deficiency from eating from these sources. Sorry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Right?

Yes. Did you?

Yes, which is why I was wondering whether you had based on your assertions
  • wheird
    Options

Right?

If anything, iodine deficiencies are less common today in America than in the '50s. I'd think it would be very difficult to assign deficiencies of these elects to be either primarily the responsibility of supermarket food nor is it difficult to have sufficient of each of these from that type of food.

Which states a decline in some micro nutrients (and none in many), not that you will have a deficiency from eating from these sources. Sorry.

Yup. Even if there is a decline in the micronutrient content of a fruit or vegetable, it doesn't necessarily translate into not getting enough of it.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What if I told you...everything is made up of chemicals?

24d9edb3-75bd-4621-a1cd-7bfd85bb0ba1.jpg

What?! Science is scary. /s
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    While this "debate" between scientists and people who actually read their studies vs. the tinfoil hat crowd is entertaining, I have just discovered that I am low on beer and kickoff is fast approaching.

Off to the store and then to eat some vitamin sucking veggies and lots of chemical laden pork . . .
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    While this "debate" between scientists and people who actually read their studies vs. the tinfoil hat crowd is entertaining, I have just discovered that I am low on beer and kickoff is fast approaching.

Off to the store and then to eat some vitamin sucking veggies and lots of chemical laden pork . . .

Poor planning discovering you're low on beer this close to kick off :noway:

Careful if you get the beer from a supermarket it's probably lower in alcohol than if you made it yourself.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Oh HELL people. Just do the best with what you have and if it means so much to you then plant a garden and kill a chicken.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Poor planning discovering you're low on beer this close to kick off :noway:

Careful if you get the beer from a supermarket it's probably lower in alcohol than if you made it yourself.

lol - two words: triple IPA
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Right?

Yup. Even if there is a decline in the micronutrient content of a fruit or vegetable, it doesn't necessarily translate into not getting enough of it.

It's difficult to do so.

Not impossible, clearly.. but, well.. read:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/July/Getting-your-vitamins-and-minerals-through-diet

Can it be done? Sure. (as long as you supplement with D).

are MOST people going to be able to manage to do it, with no supplementation? Unlikely.
  • wheird
    Options

Right?

It's difficult to do so.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/July/Getting-your-vitamins-and-minerals-through-diet

are MOST people going to be able to manage to do it, with no supplementation? Unlikely.

Well, if that is the case, then take a daily multivitamin. Problem solved.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Right?

It's difficult to do so.

Do you even read the links you post. It says you can do it and even gives a sample menu. And careful planning =\= difficult.

It even shows how to do it on a 1200 cal a day diet.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Right?

It's difficult to do so.

Well, if that is the case, then take a daily multivitamin. Problem solved.

Amusingly the article is actually about the ineffectiveness of supplements and that you can get all you need via your diet.