Muscle gain from cardio?

Options
I've been goin to the gym since the start of the year and my diary has been solid almost always under my goal yet I've put on the last 2 weeks? I know I'm gaining muscle but how much muscle can you gain from just doing cardio and nothing but cardio? Enough to put 2.5 lb in a week?

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. You might have a water retention spike but you're not building pounds of muscle doing cardio. Cardio is the opposite of muscle-building.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    if the cardio is new, you may be retaining water. Are you taking measurements? I always notice that even when my scale doesn't budge or even goes up a lb or two, my shape is changing.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    You can't gain muscle if all you do is cardio.

It is either a fluctuation or you are under estimating your intake/over estimating your TDEE.

Do you weigh everything you eat/drink with a food scale?
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Like those above have said, it could easily be water retention. Are you keeping a record of your sodium intake, and are you drinking enough water during the day? These are essential most of the time, especially when you're focusing primarily on cardio.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. You might have a water retention spike but you're not building pounds of muscle doing cardio. Cardio is the opposite of muscle-building.

Tell that to my legs and if the muscle stops growing there from all the cardio I might believe you. Truth is depends on the workout and the diet. Cardio and muscle growth are not mutually exclusive. Now having cast the shot across the bow of that ship...break it down...

Muscles are grown primarily through the tearing of the tissue and then the body repair mechanism. So to grow muscles your workout has to create micro tears and your diet needs to provide the correct nutriements (mostly protein) to buld them back up. Cardio will only consume muscle if you do so in a manner consistent with kicking over into body tissue consumption on an extented period of time (for most people about 40 minutes).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my legs and if the muscle stops growing there from all the cardio I might believe you. Truth is depends on the workout and the diet. Cardio and muscle growth are not mutually exclusive. Now having cast the shot across the bow of that ship...break it down...

Muscles are grown primarily through the tearing of the tissue and then the body repair mechanism. So to grow muscles your workout has to create micro tears and your diet needs to provide the correct nutriements (mostly protein) to buld them back up. Cardio will only consume muscle if you do so in a manner consistent with kicking over into body tissue consumption on an extented period of time (for most people about 40 minutes).

You can gain some muscle from cardio but only to a small extent. Your body/muscles will quickly adapt to cardio. I think what people see from doing cardio is a reduction of fat, which makes the body appear to be more muscular. That said, cardio is an ineffective way to build muscle, while lifting weights IS an effective way to gain muscle, being that you can always increase the weights so your body doesn't adapt to lifting. That is how muscles are "torn down". When I see someone who runs have legs that look like someone who squats 400lbs, then I might buy into what you're saying.

That said, no way can one gain 2.5lbs of muscle doing cardio. It's hard enough gaining that much muscle by lifting weights.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

You can gain some muscle from cardio but only to a small extent. Your body/muscles will quickly adapt to cardio. I think what people see from doing cardio is a reduction of fat, which makes the body appear to be more muscular. That said, cardio is an ineffective way to build muscle, while lifting weights IS an effective way to gain muscle, being that you can always increase the weights so your body doesn't adapt to lifting. That is how muscles are "torn down". When I see someone who runs have legs that look like someone who squats 400lbs, then I might buy into what you're saying.

That said, no way can one gain 2.5lbs of muscle doing cardio. It's hard enough gaining that much muscle by lifting weights.

Yeah,. that's why I've put an inch and half on my calves since I started doing cardio.. it's fat going away.

So much bad broscience from the 80s being repeated as fact.

your body IS a weight. When you start doing cardio from a dead stop, you are effectively lifting weights.

Is it true that someone who is already at an extreme level of low body fat, and right on the knife edge maintaining vs building, will have to go into a surplus to build muscle? Sure.

But guys like me, carrying an extra 40 or 50 lbs, who have been on a couch, effectively for years, will convert to muscle, and build muscle, without hitting the lat tower. Not as fast, mind you, but it will happen.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    subscribed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I've been goin to the gym since the start of the year and my diary has been solid almost always under my goal yet I've put on the last 2 weeks? I know I'm gaining muscle but how much muscle can you gain from just doing cardio and nothing but cardio? Enough to put 2.5 lb in a week?
    You don't gain muscle from cardio. It's a catabolic process and building muscle is done on an anabolic process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    oh so in...

If you could build muscle doing cardio we wouldn't have need for heavy plates, bars and racks...be cheaper that's for sure...:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Not quite. Building muscle requires progressive overload. There is training for "muscular endurance" (IE running long distance) which isn't the same as muscle hypertrophy which you are trying to describe.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yeah,. that's why I've put an inch and half on my calves since I started doing cardio.. it's fat going away.

your body IS a weight. When you start doing cardio from a dead stop, you are effectively lifting weights.

Is it true that someone who is already at an extreme level of low body fat, and right on the knife edge maintaining vs building, will have to go into a surplus to build muscle? Sure.

But guys like me, carrying an extra 40 or 50 lbs, who have been on a couch, effectively for years, will convert to muscle, and build muscle, without hitting the lat tower. Not as fast, mind you, but it will happen.
    Initially if you're pushing/pulling at a much higher weight than you used to be, you'll gain some newbie muscle, but load has to progress (meaning you'd have to gain weight) to continue to build. If one is losing weight, then the resistance is being reduced.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    In.....it's not been arguey for ages :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In for all the derp...and building 2.5 Lbs of muscle in two weeks...and in for all of the people that actually believe that is possible....derpilicious....
  • BigAndyT
    BigAndyT Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and its pretty much what I thought , I have without doubt gained muscle in my legs so you can build muscle but not 2.5 in a week, let's hope it is water weight and see if I can shift it I still don't 100% understand it tbh do I just drink water to get rid of water?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

But guys like me, carrying an extra 40 or 50 lbs, who have been on a couch, effectively for years, will convert to muscle , and build muscle, without hitting the lat tower. Not as fast, mind you, but it will happen.

The laws of adaptation for muscle growth being broscience and your logic that "fat will convert to muscle" (LOL) tells me you need to do a little more research on the topic.
    Initially if you're pushing/pulling at a much higher weight than you used to be, you'll gain some newbie muscle, but load has to progress (meaning you'd have to gain weight) to continue to build. If one is losing weight, then the resistance is being reduced.

Exactly ^^^ (as I mentioned in my OP)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and its pretty much what I thought , I have without doubt gained muscle in my legs so you can build muscle but not 2.5 in a week, let's hope it is water weight and see if I can shift it I still don't 100% understand it tbh do I just drink water to get rid of water?
    You wait it out. Or, just get accustomed to seeing that extra weight on the scale. I have to rest from my workouts for at least two days for the water weight to go away, then when I work out again, it all comes back (this is consistent over 4 months at least). Ain't nobody got time for two rest days in a row, so I just learn to live with seeing the extra water weight. It's not like it means anything, so who cares?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

But guys like me, carrying an extra 40 or 50 lbs, who have been on a couch, effectively for years, will convert to muscle , and build muscle, without hitting the lat tower. Not as fast, mind you, but it will happen.

The laws of adaptation for muscle growth being broscience and your logic that "fat will convert to muscle" (LOL) tells me you need to do a little more research on the topic.

On point. This is what happened with me when I ran the whole month of January. My legs got bigger too, and I gained weight, but it's only water weight, not muscle growth. It's virtually impossible to put 2.5 pounds of muscle on in a week (barring all unnatural methods like steroids).
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

How's your sodium intake? If you're regularly eating under your calories, but over your sodium, that could explain a bit of extra water weight.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

No, fat won't convert to muscle. It will convert to energy. and the protein you are taking in SHOULD convert to muscle. I never said "Fat would convert to muscle".

As I said, nowhere near the level you are going to get to with weightlifting, or bulk/cut. but that's a different animal entirely.

Flat statements like "you cannot build muscle while on a deficit" are so nebulous as to be useless, without specifics regarding what people are doing, what shape they are in to start with, and how they are eating.