Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options
Hi I am still new to this site, but started my weight loss in September of this year. I have been taking phentermine since Sept 14th and I have had great sucess so far. However I am really trying to change my lifestyle through diet and exercise while I have the help of the diet pill. I have heard mixed views about this drug and I was really hoping to find some people who are in the same boat as I am with this. I have been working out and dieting with the help of phentermine for 11 wks and 2 days as of today (11/24/10) I have lost 39 pounds and a ton of inches. I know that's a lot in a short time but I have cut back my calorie intake to 1200 - 1500 a day and coming from eating like 4000 - 5000 a day, that's pretty extreme! AndI have a treadmill that I walk on daily for 45 -60 minutes, with 3 pound weights at 3.5 mph. I have a heart rate moniter to count calories and I make sure I eat regularly and as healthy as I can. So I am not starving myself because of the pills. I was hoping some of ya'll may have had good results with the phentermine if making some changes like this as well? I would love to have some 'accountablity friends' who are going through the same thing. Thanks for reading this.

I'm 27 years old
starting weight 204
current weight 165
height 5'6"
goal weight 140
plus I have 2 toddlers for added exercise! LOL

Replies

• foxylady8098
    Options
    The amount of diet and exercise you are getting is great, but everybody I have ever know that has used diet pills has gained all of the weight back after they stopped taking them. Because of your diet and exercise, you probably won't gain it all back, but I would be prepared to gain some back after you stop taking them. I personally stay away from that kind of stuff.
  • debbysbeads
    Options
    My experience was that once I stopped taking it, I gained the weight back gradually. I hope that doesn't happen to you!
  • skeeter230
    skeeter230 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I took this several years ago. While your taking it the weight falls off, but as soon as you stop you gain it all back and more. Its not good for you either. I would just use this site it really works.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Same here. Sucks to say, but gained it all back when stopped taking it, and more.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    phentermine is basically an amphetamine so it can totally screw your metabolic rate up. Do not just stop it, wean your dose down slowly and look up methods to boost your metabolic rate. Body building forums would be able to help you with that. If you do it correctly you should be able to avoid the weight gain when you stop and with what you are learning as regards your diet and exercise you should be able to keep it off.

Good luck
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    Personally I'm not a fan of diet pills. I's a quick temporary fix to a weight issue and the only people who benefit long term are the manufacturers.
    Not dogging you for taking them though.
    Like others with similar experience have stated, expect to gain when you stop and let that motivate you to lose the good old fashioned way with the help of proper foods and physical activity. That's the best way .. a lifestyle change.

All the best!
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Phen too. I'm on my last month of it. I started in June at 207 and I'm down to 164. My loss was much more gradual than yours, but my intake was about half yours was when I wasn't taking it. I'm also taking in 1200-1400 calories and trying to work out but it's difficult because I have two kids and my hubby travels for work. I usually only end up going 3 times a week.

Watch out, there are a lot of Phen HATERS out there. Most say they gained it all back when they went off it and I'm determined that isn't going to happen to me. Others say that the stuff is TERRIBLE and its going to make you sick. I think they all just used the pill to help them stop eating, lost all the weight and gained it all back when they stopped taking the pill because they didn't change their habits.

My thoughts on it are that one just has to be careful and the phen is a HELPER and one has to completely change their lifestyle when they are trying to drop the pounds. I don't plan to go back to my old eating habits once i'm off. I plan to keep my current habits and MAINTAIN my weight. I CAN'T WAIT to post to all the Phen haters in 6 months that I haven't gained any of the weight back. I put the weight on because I was eating whatever I want and not exercising. Now that I'm older, I can't eat whatever I want and I NEED to exercise, I plan to keep it up forever.

My goal is to hit 150 by Christmas, with a mini goal right now of 160 by Dec. 1.
  • needtoloseweight25
    Options
    I am not a fan of diet pills. I have stayed away from the ones with phen in the name and ephedra, because they simply scare me. But, if you do decide to stop taking them make sure you continue to diet and exercise to keep the weight off.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I think it's OK as long as you are making lifestyle changes at the same time. But it can be a crutch-so be careful! I occasionally use them (like around TOM) and have gone through one 30 day supply in a year. So I don't think that's bad at all! Good luck.
  • oldnavy1
    Options
    My experience may be a little different than others. Taking Phentermine as part of a medically-supervised weight-loss plan. For what it's worth, the docs only "do" phentermine 3 months at a time because the body becomes accustomed to it. Only been doing this for three months so don't know what happens next. Probably be taken off it next week when I check in. Lost about 20 lbs so far...but a looong way to go. They assure me that with the life-style changes and exercise (which sounds pretty much like what you're doing), I "shouldn't" gain it back. Some things, like my after-work monster martini are gone forever, I'm afraid. My docs echo mamacremers comment...Phentermine is NOT Phen-fen. Part of the combination, true, but the bad juu-juu part has been taken off the market. As with most drugs like this, safe if not abused, I reckon. Good luck.
  • tromero82
    Options
    to:
    mamacremers
    this will be my last month too. they are supposed to be on 3 months and off 1 but i am really going to try to be off for good! im just affraid that with what everyone is saying about gaining the weight back, i'm going to start gaining and freak out and get back on them. I DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THESE PILLS LONG TERM but i feel like i have really changed my lifestyle and i am going to do the best i can to keep it changed. thank you very much, its nice to know someone is trying this also and please do let me know how it goes!

and thank you all for your advise, i hope my efforts are enough to keep the weight off without the pills.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My experience may be a little different than others. Taking Phentermine as part of a medically-supervised weight-loss plan. For what it's worth, the docs only "do" phentermine 3 months at a time because the body becomes accustomed to it. Only been doing this for three months so don't know what happens next. Probably be taken off it next week when I check in. Lost about 20 lbs so far...but a looong way to go. They assure me that with the life-style changes and exercise (which sounds pretty much like what you're doing), I "shouldn't" gain it back. Some things, like my after-work monster martini are gone forever, I'm afraid. My docs echo mamacremers comment...Phentermine is NOT Phen-fen. Part of the combination, true, but the bad juu-juu part has been taken off the market. As with most drugs like this, safe if not abused, I reckon. Good luck.

YES, safe if not abused. I've been on it for 6, the max my doc will let me do. i'm going to wean myself slowly off it this month, hopefully to help my metabolism, like someone else suggested on this thread. Doc says I don't need to, but i'm going to anyway. That'll also make them last just a little longer and hopefully I can reach my goal. Glad to see another Phen non-hater!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

YES, safe if not abused. I've been on it for 6, the max my doc will let me do. i'm going to wean myself slowly off it this month, hopefully to help my metabolism, like someone else suggested on this thread. Doc says I don't need to, but i'm going to anyway. That'll also make them last just a little longer and hopefully I can reach my goal. Glad to see another Phen non-hater!

Have a look on body builder forums for how they boost their metabolic rates, also look up refeeding...bodybuilders and those on very low calorie diets do it to boost their metabolic rate.

I'm not exactly a fan of diet pills but I would hate to see people fail partly because its expected and partly because theyre not aware of how these tablets work.

Remember the better eating habits you have discovered and the weight should stay off!
  • dpulum
    dpulum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started taking Adipex. I've been on it for a week and only take a half of a pill a day or else I can't sleep. I have 3 friends that have taken it at various times and they all did well on it and have kept the weight off for a couple of years, which was why I looked into it. I'm doing it along with sticking to a 1200 calorie diet to get started.

I appreciate the suggestions about methods of boosting metabolism for when I'm ready to come off of it, I'm only going to take it for 3 months plan to come off of it at that point.

Tina
  • laurencl221
    Options
    I gained weight again after stop taking Adipex. Definitely Phentermine is not the solution for long term diet.
  • Melly197776
    Options
    I am also taking Adipex and in a couple of days I will be off it for a month. While on adipex I have completely changed my lifestyle. I no longer eat junk food and I exercise every day. While I feel that the pill has helped me lose the weight I also feel that exercising and counting my calories has helped tremoundously. I must admit that I am nervous that i might gain the weight back after i stop taking the pill but i think I will keep it off if i continue doing what i am doing now. Good luck and thanks for all the help information.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hi I am still new to this site, but started my weight loss in September of this year. I have been taking phentermine since Sept 14th and I have had great sucess so far. However I am really trying to change my lifestyle through diet and exercise while I have the help of the diet pill. I have heard mixed views about this drug and I was really hoping to find some people who are in the same boat as I am with this. I have been working out and dieting with the help of phentermine for 11 wks and 2 days as of today (11/24/10) I have lost 39 pounds and a ton of inches. I know that's a lot in a short time but I have cut back my calorie intake to 1200 - 1500 a day and coming from eating like 4000 - 5000 a day, that's pretty extreme! AndI have a treadmill that I walk on daily for 45 -60 minutes, with 3 pound weights at 3.5 mph. I have a heart rate moniter to count calories and I make sure I eat regularly and as healthy as I can. So I am not starving myself because of the pills. I was hoping some of ya'll may have had good results with the phentermine if making some changes like this as well? I would love to have some 'accountablity friends' who are going through the same thing. Thanks for reading this.

I'm 27 years old
    starting weight 204
    current weight 165
    height 5'6"
    goal weight 140
    plus I have 2 toddlers for added exercise! LOL

Your daily routine is going to help you once you are off the drug. You have to build a healthy lifestyle if you want ANY weightloss program to work. People that get surgeries or do fads gain the weight back because they want an easy fix that they don't have to work for. Heck--we all want what we want when we want it without working for it. I think you are doing the right thing.
  • rosietown54
    rosietown54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    like wise here, gain back and then some..Just plain reducing calories and exercise is helping me now..
    :smile:
  • Emj30135
    Emj30135 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is still reading this post since the person who wrote this wrote it 3 years ago. I just wanted to put my input about Adipex on here. I have taken Adipex on and off for the past 5 years. The reasons why are: The first time I weighed 205 lbs. (I am 5'4) and I wanted to loose weight but wasn't motivated. Adipex really helped motivate me and helped me to be more conscious about what I was eating. I learned how to write down what I was eating each day and count calories and exercise right. I ended up losing 55 Lbs. and when I got down to 150 I got pregnant. Then during my pregnancy I stopped working out and ate what I wanted to and I gained it all back. After my pregnancy I went back on them and lost even more weight than before I had my son. I got down to 133 lbs!!!! THEN, (lol) over time I stopped working out and being so strict on what I ate and I leveled out at 160 Lbs. I then got pregnant again and at the end of this past pregnancy weighed 215!!! The most I've ever been! I just recently started Adipex again and I started out at 200 (after loosing 15 of it that I gained from pregnancy) and currently I am 184. My goal is 130. I have 2 more months and then I will be going off of Adipex for a while and then on one more time until I achieve my goal and then I have NO desire to go back on Adipex ever again! It IS a great tool to motivate you and to help you to have energy and not be as hungry, but what I've learned from gaining and losing, gaining and losing is that you have to make a LIFESTYLE change and work out and eat right for the rest of your life. It's not about a diet, it's about being healthy and if you do that you will lose the weight you want and then maintain!! Good luck to everyone who is going this route but if you can do it on your own, I would recommend doing that b/c diet pills can become addictive and you will feel like you can't lose weight without them. If you try it without them to begin with you will have faith in yourself to do it on your own. :)
  • DiamondVon
    Options
    I am currently taking them for two weeks now. I've dropped 12 pounds thus far. I've been following the recommended diet with 1200 to 1500 calories but thinking to follow the weight watchers model after my second prescription. I want to change my lifestyle habits but need the phentermine boost to get me going. I started Nov. 5 at 238lbs., I'm at 226lbs. I haven't begun exercising just yet.