Women with non dieting husbands

Options

Replies

• charityldamron
    Options
    My husband is very good about eating what I cook. If he doesn't want it, he doesn't eat it. That being said, he also drops "hints" all the time about something that sounds good or cravings he has. I try to be considerate of him, as well, as he had no need to lose weight...so sometimes I will prepare him something special. A lot of times I make him things I know I don't like. For example, he loves fish, and a lot of the fish recipes he likes are unhealthy, with excessive butter added or things like that. So, I will make him that, and since I don't like fish I am not even tempted to eat it.

In regards to snacking, my husband just eats whatever he wants around the house. I keep it pretty healthy...but he has a weird obsession with goldfish...so I make sure to keep a carton of that around.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't strap a bag of Doritos to my mouth like a feedbag.

My boyfriend doesn't put one chip in his mouth at a time. Nooooooo... he dumps the bag into his mouth. And I ain't talking about some snack sized bag...
    He's 6'2.5 and 177. How? HOW.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

My boyfriend doesn't put one chip in his mouth at a time. Nooooooo... he dumps the bag into his mouth. And I ain't talking about some snack sized bag...

He is prolly active?
    Or just he can down a lot of calories.....
    How old is he?
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hubby is physically active, so he needs to eat. When he gets back I plan on making a lot of the same meals that we did before (pasta, rice, meats, etc), and will just eat less of the high calorie stuff, and more of the veggies, etc. It's also a good motivation to keep exercising so I can eat more of the delish stuff that I love! :laugh:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs with a non dieting husband. The only difference between him and I is that I watch my portion sizes. I am also mindful of my macronutrients and finding typically more nutrient dense foods than he does but I do eat McDonald's, pizza, ice cream, etc every day. For me, it's about learning a sustainable habit, than it is to look at it like "I need to cut everything out to lose weight and get in shape.". No. It's about balance.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I refuse to make multiple meals at a time. Its something I won't do as I don't want that behavior modeled for my kids. I usually will plan to eat higher cal at dinner, and lower cal the other meals. I will serve a salad and a veggie so I can fill my plate, and will only put butter/salt on his servings. There are a few recipes I cook that he absolutely loves that don't break my calorie budget, and there are a few nights where I will tell him he has to fend for himself (because I am at the gym, etc) and that is the meal he will eat his kraft mac and cheese, ramen, pizza etc.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    First, don't cook 3 calorie heavy sides for one meal no matter how much he likes it. Pick one. Then plan for it. Have a small serving, fit it into your daily calories and move on. Don't try to completely resist it or you'll "give up" and just eat it in excess. Or next time find a side that you don't really care for that he likes.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Low calorie meals are still yummy. My boyfriend just eats a lot more of it. & I will sometimes make him mashed potatoes and I will just have brown rice.

It helps to have support from him...try and see if you can make some recipes that he will actually not even realize are diet recipes.!
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband is being very supportive this time around because he wants to get healthier too. If I were you, I would stop cooking those kinds of food. He may not gain weight but weight gain is not the only side effect of an unhealthy diet. If he wants to eat different food, he can cook it for himself.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try having a husband who is "making better choices and losing weight' who not only eats what you eat, but what the rest of the family eats as well. He practices ZERO moderation either. UGH
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well sweetie eventually age will catch up with him! :laugh:

On a serious note, if you're hungry while cooking dinner, eat a solid piece of protein to take the edge off and then when you sit down together you won't feel so famished & want to eat it all. Weigh out every ingredient for your recipes and do your macros AHEAD of time. Weigh your food before dishing up and you see what your macros look like.

At the end of the day, you'll be glad you stuck it out. Go for a casual walk after dinner if even for 10 min and it gives you a fresher perspective when dealing with kitchen duties.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options

He is prolly active?
    Or just he can down a lot of calories.....
    How old is he?

He walks about 10 miles at work. But even before that when he was a deckhand on a fishing boat, he had winters off. He literally did not move for 4 months at a time, and nothing happened. He goes to the gym like once a month... sometimes twice if I b*tch at him enough hahaha
    He's 25.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    He walks about 10 miles at work. But even before that when he was a deckhand on a fishing boat, he had winters off. He literally did not move for 4 months at a time, and nothing happened. He goes to the gym like once a month... sometimes twice if I b*tch at him enough hahaha
    He's 25.

Sounds like he is pretty active then....

I for one noticed my metabolism start to drop a bit around 25....prolly cause I wasn't doing as much basketball....
    30 got even more so...
    And then damn, 35 sucks. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make my husband foods he likes, but I don't care for. It makes it so much easier for the both of us. Or I will make meal with salad to have before hand. If I eat the salad I don't feel like eating as much of the regular meal.
  • Idothin
    Idothin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ITA, if we could figure out how to slip us into that mindset, we would be millionaires. I can't figure out why it's not problem for 6 months, and suddenly the worst thing ever.. and vice versa
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wrap his Big Mac in divorce papers. That'll straighten him up.

Why do people always do this? She's irritated that her husband can eat cheese, so she should divorce him? Moron.

To the OP: My boyf and I eat the same meals. He cooks, but he cooks healthy meals that fit into my diet for our shared meals. About once per week we have a naughty meal e.g. fish and chips which isn't balanced, but I build it into my calories. He then gets to eat his junk food for lunch (which I eat at work separately from him) or for snacks. We often have sticky deserts but again, I build that into my calories and macros.

I understand why you would want to cook him a nice meal before he goes away. You don't necessarily need to make that unhealthy for you too, e.g. you could cook some extra veg for you, and eat some of the yummy unhealthy stuff, but not all of it. Self control is the issue!

In general I would say that cooking a separate meal for hubby just because you're on a diet and he's not is not a good idea - just because he doesn't want to lose weight, doesn't mean he doesn't need to eat healthily.

(Besides, it rankles against the modern woman philosophy.... we're no longer property, a woman's place is not in the kitchen, and we have a right to expect equal division of household responsibilities and shouldn't be pandering to our hubby's every demand any more. We're allowed to vote and everything :smile:)
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Wrap his Big Mac in divorce papers. That'll straighten him up.

Why do people always do this? She's mildly irritated that her husband can eat cheese, so she should divorce him? Moron.

It's called sarcasm....
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    My partner eats what I cook, but we also plan what we both would like to eat, since we both pay for groceries. I'm a strict vegetarian and he's not, though he was a vegetarian for years (but that was before I met him) so he doesn't complain. He's also a former chef so he hated cooking when he got home from work because that's what he did all day. I make the food, weigh out my portion and he eats what he wants. Generally if he's still hungry he'll make himself chicken nuggets/fingers as we get him a box per week, and sometimes I don't make enough-he's over a foot taller than me and has a physical job. Since I'm not eating chips everyday he's stopped too. He's one to mindlessly eat if someone else is, and I am too, and since I stopped he has as well. I still cook our fave meals (vegan sweet potato shepherds pie is one of his faves, dumplings, perogies, udon stir frys), I just eat less than I used too.
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a light lunch then I cook the evening meal for me and my husband. We eat the same thing, I just have a smaller portion and he might have a few extras, some bread etc..

this is what i do also...and if i indulge a little more, I just workout a little harder that night :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I make one meal for the family, and people can pick and choose what they want from that. I have a husband and two small kids, so many of our meals are kid friendly not only in terms of type of food but also as far as making sure they pack enough calories to fill their active little bodies up. I just eat less of the high calorie stuff and pile on the veggies. We regularly have things like hot dogs, mac n' cheese, pizza, and tacos. I measure my portions out to fit my goal, and I try to make more homemade stuff so I can adjust the recipe, like using high protein pasta in mac n cheese. My husband is eating something like 3000 calories per day to support whatever it is he's doing for fitness these days, so he ends up taking dinner leftovers to work for lunch each day. Other than that, I just use self-control. It was tough at first, especially since I have a toddler who grazes all day, but it's really not that bad.