Friends became Distance

Options
Have you ever noticed when you started to live the healthy life your friends became distance? Not that you actually have time to communicate with them because we are all a bit busier than before especially with going to the gym and working out on a regular. What is up with that? I am married with 2 kids and do not have enough time for myself as it is, but a jealous friend hate on you because you do not have time to hang out. I look at my family and fitness is my priority and everything else comes last.

Replies

• Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is jealousy. Also, I dont know about you but alot of my girlfriend time revolved around eating and since I try not to overindulge I had to cut back on that.
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is jealousy. Also, I dont know about you but alot of my girlfriend time revolved around eating and since I try not to overindulge I had to cut back on that.
  • Waggoner83
    Options
    Same here! Especially my friends that are single and they usually eat out alot. I have a family I like to eat home cooked meals and try to live the healthy life. I am not about going to eat out and drinking all of teh time;once every so many months isnt too bad,but not every week or every month smh.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Actually I found shift work did that - different days off - different hours off - a shift worker's schedule does not work well with someone who works bankers hours Monday thru Friday. Sad but true.
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are going down different paths. Mine went in the direction of yoga, zumba, walking (outside or treadmill) & not going out to eat at places where I can't eat. (I'm lucky in that my family is very supportive of this) People I used to know? They went in another direction.

Prior to my lifestyle change & going back to being active & healthy yes, a lot of my "girl time" did revolve around food. Going out for lunch, going to a coffee house & having cheesecake & talking. I can't do that anymore. Now? I can go to a coffee house but if it's not my birthday, I'm not touching the cheesecake. If it is my birthday, everyone else better be splitting that thing with me, because otherwise it's too much sugar & I get sick.

I don't know about you guys, but even the topics I talk about changed with me getting healthier. Not only did topics of health come up in discussion as I tried to figure out what's the best choices for me nutrition wise, but different workouts came up as well. It's not ALL I talk about (Walt Disney World far outweighs EVERYTHING else) but these new topics definitely became more prevalent because they were very relevant to me.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    When I was in my super "fit" phase at a low weight, gym 2 hrs everyday, tracked every calorie, I myself was super happy and proud of myself (and were my parents), I got a lot of attention from friends/guys, but it made me realize how different people act when you look different.

Instead of having to wait, people would let you cut in line. People would not judge you for eating half a jar of peanut butter. Random people would pay for things for you. Free coffee (for no reason) at Starbucks so many times. I got along with pretty much everyone, but it made me think of how ****ed up this world really is. I actually became more pessimistic as a result of this, and its really hard for me to trust anyone now. I was at my goal weight and wasn't worrying about my weight that time, but I really saw the superficiality, greed, jealousy etc in the people around me that I never noticed before. I actually prefer to sit at home and read or spend time with my family now instead of "going out".

My guy friends (AND COUSINS) who I really trusted and thought of as brothers kept asking me out and bugging me out to the point I had to start ignoring them. It's so messed up, its disgusting. My friends that also were trying to lose weight started to avoid me. I was still the same person (just a little happier on the outside) but everyone acted SO different, it was crazy. Even my professors who had me the semester before when I was a lot heavier acted completely different.

Losing weight changes everything. It did for me.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Actually I found shift work did that - different days off - different hours off - a shift worker's schedule does not work well with someone who works bankers hours Monday thru Friday. Sad but true.

+1 million to this. I've been doing shift work for the past four years and it is a lifestyle killer.

I haven't had this problem with fitness goals, though. Most people are supportive or don't care one way or the other.
  • Waggoner83
    Options

+1 million to this. I've been doing shift work for the past four years and it is a lifestyle killer.

I haven't had this problem with fitness goals, though. Most people are supportive or don't care one way or the other.
  • Waggoner83
    Options
    I am sorry you had to go through this. Maybe this how we learn who our real friends really are.:smile:
  • Waggoner83
    Options
    That kind of suck that a person could act funny, but to start spreading rumors is not very nice.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Bingo. I worked FT midnights for almost 10 years. My social life then revolved around my husband and my momma. It's taken 4.5 years go get it back on track.

My friends and family are far too important to me to distance myself from them again.

Try inviting your friends with you to the gym, or ask them to go on a long walk or hike or bike with you. Maybe take up a dance class, something that would fit their personality.
  • Waggoner83
    Options
    Keep up the good work it seems like you are going down the right path. :smile:
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Friends?
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't hang out with my friends because of all of the drinking! I know I don't have to, but the problem is I want to drink with them.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    did you develop a holier-than-thou attitude about it?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Survey says...
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed when you started to live the healthy life your friends became distance? Not that you actually have time to communicate with them because we are all a bit busier than before especially with going to the gym and working out on a regular. What is up with that? I am married with 2 kids and do not have enough time for myself as it is, but a jealous friend hate on you because you do not have time to hang out. I look at my family and fitness is my priority and everything else comes last.

They put you as high on their priorities list as you put them. Completely normal, and it has nothing to do with jealousy.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

MFP says...

All the highly opinionated people should be here shortly to infer their thoughts on the OP in attempts to justify their projections.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you had to go through this. Maybe this how we learn who our real friends really are.:smile:

Yep. The way I would look at it is... if they cannot be happy for me and wish me well, then they weren't truly a friend and I don't need them in my busy life taking up my valuable time that I could be spending doing more productive things with people who really care about me! (and this hasn't happened to me so, I am guessing this would be my reaction... )
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    They're not jealous. People who aren't into going to the gym are not jealous of those who do. You probably blew them off one too many times because as you said, they're not a priority for you, so they took the hint. If someone isn't a priority for you, sooner or later they're going to figure that out and move on.

If your friendships are important to you you will make time for them. Yes you might have to change your activity if what you used to do no longer fits with your choices. They're not mad because you're not getting wasted or stuffing your face, they're getting mad because they're not important to you and they thought they were.