eating WHATEVER I want but not getting full

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.
    Breakfast= coffee with cream and sweetnlow, eggs and cheese, grits, and toast
    Lunch=Bologna and cheese sandwich with mayo, small bag of doritoes, coke
    Dinner=homemade chicken pot pie, rice, sweet tea

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

You're eating crap. You're not going to get full on empty calories.

Breakfast - No just no.

Redo Breakfast - Coffee with SKIM and honey approx 75 calories. 2 boiled eggs - 140 calories - Med apple - 80 calories - 1 piece of WHOLE GRAIN toast with butter - approx 180 calories = 475 calories

Lunch - NO Bologna and cheese (that's NOT healthy!) no mayo no doritos and no coke. Jebus... wthell are you feeding yourself?

Redo Lunch - Chicken breast on a WHOLE WHEAT/GRAIN kaiser with avocado, romaine lettuce and tomato - 4 oz chick breast approx 180, kaiser approx 200 calories, 1/2 avocado approx 80 calories, romaine and tomato - approx 40 = 500 calories

Dinner - chicken pot pie... now you're really making me shake my head that's EMPTY CALORIES pastry and gravy? No rice unless it's brown rice. Sweet team means SWEET as in sugar or FAKE sugar.

Redo Dinner - Chicken breast again with baked potato and greek yogurt (1/2 cup) baked broccoli - 180 + 130 + 100 + 50 = 460

NOW you have a day full of nutrition... throw in fruit in between as snacks. screw the 1,200 calories a day that won't keep you full and the less you eat the worse it is.

total 1,435 calories (ish) + snacks will bring you to about 1,600 or 1,700 calories.

Remember, stay away from empty calories!

So much wrong. In what world is cheese not healthy? I weep for these foods you say are "empty".
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry I'm at work... cheese is 'healthy' if it's not processed. Cottage cheese for instance is amazing and I eat it for breakfast on toast some days.

Have you calculated your TDEE - 20%?

do you know what that is?

inbox me if you have any other questions becasue I'm not always on here and I can help you that way.

I've been on this site for over a year and have struggled and gone crazy trying to figure out what foods are good and bad and all this other stuff... I've figured out that not eating enough is going to keep me stagnant. I can eat up to 2,500 calories a day an not budge. I've set myself to 1,760 calories a day because I want to trim down a bit. I'm 5'7 and about 145 (last time i checked - a month ago? haha)
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between feeling full and feeling not hungry. Eating to the point of feeling full is what got most of us overweight. It takes about 20 minutes for your body to register the signals that you have enough, and in those 20 minutes we keep stuffing ourselves and end up feeling full.

It will take some adjusting. I find that when I eat loads of protein and fat, I feel less hungry then when majority of my day is carbs.

It does boil down to your willpower and determination. Every time you want to do something that you feel may jeopardize you, ask yourself if it is a step towards your goal or away. This is what I do and it helps me battle some cravings. On the other hand I do treat myself a few times a week, and have just finished a huge parma ham pizza :) so i think 90% dedication and occasional treat was the way to go for me.

Good luck
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    @footiechick82, thanks for the help. I have a question though. According to the BMR charts, I will maintain weight on about 1700 calories. How can I lose weight if I am eating that same amount?

I think you are confused between BMR and TDEE. From another post, I found your stats and when I put them into the Scooby calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

With light exercise, your 20% cut to lose weight would be 1756 calories a day. Your BMR is 1597 (the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma). Your TDEE is 2195 (the amount where you would not gain or lose). This is assuming that your exercise level is light, it may be more in which case you could eat a bit more.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Try adding either more carbs or more protient.
    Carbs = Corn, peas, rice, oatmeal
    Protien = 4.0oz of Fish, chicken, turkey etc.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Question please....do you mean full or do you mean satisfied? The two are not the same thing, over the last year I have learned that feeling full is not my goal. Full to me now means overeating, satisfied means eating an appropriate portion for my calorie needs. Once I learned and got used to not walking around full I found that full is not a feeling I cherish or desire. I have found that eating frequent small portions keeps me satisfied without the need to be full.

I think people eat to feel full because they are eating on the 3 meals a day plan which is how most people are accustomed to eating. At first I felt guilty for eating 5 or 6 times a day but I find that knowing I never far from time to eat is comforting and it eliminated the need to eat to the point of fullness because I don't need the food volume to carry me over to the next meal. It works for me and definitely kick started my metabolism.

Of course that is just me.

So maybe the goal shouldn't be to feel full.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

You're eating crap. You're not going to get full on empty calories.

Breakfast - No just no.

Redo Breakfast - Coffee with SKIM and honey approx 75 calories. 2 boiled eggs - 140 calories - Med apple - 80 calories - 1 piece of WHOLE GRAIN toast with butter - approx 180 calories = 475 calories

Lunch - NO Bologna and cheese (that's NOT healthy!) no mayo no doritos and no coke. Jebus... wthell are you feeding yourself?

Redo Lunch - Chicken breast on a WHOLE WHEAT/GRAIN kaiser with avocado, romaine lettuce and tomato - 4 oz chick breast approx 180, kaiser approx 200 calories, 1/2 avocado approx 80 calories, romaine and tomato - approx 40 = 500 calories

Dinner - chicken pot pie... now you're really making me shake my head that's EMPTY CALORIES pastry and gravy? No rice unless it's brown rice. Sweet team means SWEET as in sugar or FAKE sugar.

Redo Dinner - Chicken breast again with baked potato and greek yogurt (1/2 cup) baked broccoli - 180 + 130 + 100 + 50 = 460

NOW you have a day full of nutrition... throw in fruit in between as snacks. screw the 1,200 calories a day that won't keep you full and the less you eat the worse it is.

total 1,435 calories (ish) + snacks will bring you to about 1,600 or 1,700 calories.

Remember, stay away from empty calories!

Good god...what an awful way to live...

Btw...ALL cheese is processed. Every single kind including cottage cheese.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    don't you just love the people that see you eating a honeybun and say, "I thought you were on a diet" That just peeves me off. Sorry, I just had to vent. LOL! Anyways, I said that to say this: Never ever, under any circumstance tell people that you are on a diet and/or trying to lose weight!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So did you read my post about BMR and TDEE and see that you can eat up to 1700 and still lose weight, no need to go around hungry all the time?
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    More water, more fiber.

^
    Ditto
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if thats 1200 cals it must be the worlds smallest portion sizes...
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options

sometimes it just takes time for you body to get use to eating less. like i was eating like 3000 calories a day before counting and now i eat 1800 calories a day

at first nothing felt like enough now my stomache can bearly even handle 1800 calories unless i eat food high in calories

so just give it a couple of weeks and your stomache will adjust to the smaller portions and try not to think about food because sometimes the brain can trick you into thinking you are hungry
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options

if thats 1200 cals it must be the worlds smallest portion sizes...

seems more around 1600
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    So did you read my post about BMR and TDEE and see that you can eat up to 1700 and still lose weight, no need to go around hungry all the time?

Hi, yes, and from what I gather, my TDEE is 2172 and my BMR is 1795. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I can eat per day to lose 2lbs. per week. I plan on burning 200 calories from WII Zumba and 130 calories from walking 30 min per day 5 days a week for a weekly burn of 1,650 calories, if my math is right, I can eat 1,380 calories per day. Is that right? I wasn't all that good in math.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Hi, yes, and from what I gather, my TDEE is 2172 and my BMR is 1795. I'm trying to figure out how many calories I can eat per day to lose 2lbs. per week. I plan on burning 200 calories from WII Zumba and 130 calories from walking 30 min per day 5 days a week for a weekly burn of 1,650 calories, if my math is right, I can eat 1,380 calories per day. Is that right? I wasn't all that good in math.

Read my post again. 1795 is not your BMR. 1795 is the amount you can eat and lose weight.

Make sure you measure and log everything correctly.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You have to take the "eat whatever you want" philosophy with a grain of salt. For example, I could eat my daily calorie allowance in potato chips, but I certainly wouldn't be full because I would have no protein, veggies and other vital nutrients. Think of it more as "eat what you want in reasonable portions while remaining in a deficit and meeting your macros." Obviously, you won't have a perfect day every day, but do the best you can. Fiber, protein and other nutrients will keep you full and allow you some wiggle room for reasonable amounts of your "vice" foods.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    ok, but will that result in a 2lb a week weight loss? Thanks
  • deksgrl
    Options
    ok, but will that result in a 2lb a week weight loss? Thanks

No, but 2 pounds a week is not a reasonable healthy goal for you.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    thank-you.