Shocked at the amount of calories

Options
The other day we went to Boston Pizza for a birthday lunch. I used this day as my cheat day but still entered in all foods. My entire day 1200 calorie intake was blown away by lunch, even though I had the calorie wise small pizza. What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice. As well, the cheese bread app, but I expected that.

Today, I entered a new item a friend suggested -> coconut water. My water has 50 calories per glass! Waaaat?! :laugh:

What foods shocked you when you entered them in mfp?

Replies

• I was surprised water was zero calories....
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to be obvious to everybody else here how many calories are in them, but my shock came today. Dairy Queen's mini blizzards. Just the little mini ones are about 350+ calories! :(
  • tajawaja
    tajawaja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i ate an entire pie of pizza once. i put it into mfp and i was shocked. i don't know why, but i should of expected that lol. it was my cheat day too. don't worry though. everyone has those days :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lulz at 1200 cal a day.

Lessee, one that surprised the hell out of me recently was pao de queijo. It's gluten free, so totally cool right?

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I wasn't shocked so much by the calories as by the size of an ounce of cheese. So small!

Doesn't keep me from eating it though :-)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    A mini concrete at Freddy's is 700 calories. A child sized ANYTHING shouldn't be 700 calories.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wasn't shocked so much by the calories as by the size of an ounce of cheese. So small!

Doesn't keep me from eating it though :-)

lol! My "ounce" is about three (maybe four) Serving sizes is what has been my shocker too!
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    When I started mfp, my first big shock was the calories in a Costco triangle bun. Not good
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was shocked the first time I went to Olive Garden after joining this site. I came back and put it all in, and one meal had more calories than I was even supposed to have for the entire day! Glad I had a very light breakfast that day.
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    Options
    I was shocked to see that something healthy like Salmon was 380 calories for a 6.6 oz piece of baked unseasoned salmon. However, I think we need to consider the source of the calories. I mean it is true the the Salmon has more caloies than a small Blizzard from DQ. BUT clearly the Salmon is better for you having more protein and essential oils and OMEGA -3 and -6...

I just hate some of the products we but which are "healthy" have sooo much sugar... Like Milk...
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was shocked the first time I put in homeade hot chocolate. It is usually a regular winter treat for me. Not this winter though, too many empty calories. Now it is a special winter treat. :laugh:
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I never get shocked by the amount of calories in anything anymore... it's life. You are going to have to enjoy yourself sometimes. As long as enjoying yourself doesn't equal a whole cake or whole pizza... it's going to be ok! Have a piece here and there... not everyday! Save the treats for special occasions. And like someone recently told me... the weekends are not special occasions.

It's a lifestyle change... not a death sentence! :)
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just hate some of the products we but which are "healthy" have sooo much sugar... Like Milk...

Yes, milk was quite a surprise to me. Especially since unsweetened almond milk has only 30 cals and almost twice the calcium of 2% milk. Slowly trying to make the switch.

Also, fruit like bananas and oranges were surprises to me for the calories and sugar.
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A teeny bag of Cheetos - 310.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed that my favorite sandwich from Panera is almost 1000 calories.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Effing breakfast cereal/muesli. Seriously, they should put a giant red warning on those.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    Wraps..... just the thin flat bread bit rather than the finished filled item. How can something so flat count for so much?!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh a small chocolate "freeze" from Godiva weighed in at 750 cals when I had my last one a couple years ago.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Effing breakfast cereal/muesli. Seriously, they should put a giant red warning on those.

Oh yeah, granola.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

Yes, milk was quite a surprise to me. Especially since unsweetened almond milk has only 30 cals and almost twice the calcium of 2% milk. Slowly trying to make the switch.

Also, fruit like bananas and oranges were surprises to me for the calories and sugar.

I'm lucky enough to love the taste of almond milk. it was an immediate switch to regular 60cal