Shocked at the amount of calories

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The donut I had for dessert apparently had as many calories as my lunch. Oops.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I was shocked the first time I put in homeade hot chocolate. It is usually a regular winter treat for me. Not this winter though, too many empty calories. Now it is a special winter treat. :laugh:

curious as to your recipe. I've been making a lot of it with shots of amaretto and chambord. almond milk, cocoa powder

and isn't it amazing.... once we start counting
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice.

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.
  • vsprocket04
    vsprocket04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got myself granola a while ago thinking I would be all healty. Very shocked at the calories in that! also cheese....
  • jaiblevins
    Options
    Jack in the Box Munchie Meal - 1560 calories! Holy crap! I can't believe they market this as a late night "snack" for 1 person! CALORIES NOT INCLUDING THE DRINK!!
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    The donut I had for dessert apparently had as many calories as my lunch. Oops.

OMGosh! We get Tim Horton donuts frequently at work. I stay far, far away from the evil within :explode:
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Peanuts!

Also, in the opposite direction, shocked that my boyf's yummy sweet and sour chicken is less than a pizza.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad at Erik's Delicafe...over 1200 calories. Holy crap, so not worth it.

On the other hand, the chutney I used this morning claimed to be 350 calories per Tbs, while supposedly no fat and only 8 calories. I don't think that's possible.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to be obvious to everybody else here how many calories are in them, but my shock came today. Dairy Queen's mini blizzards. Just the little mini ones are about 350+ calories! :(

A mini Blast from Sonic is 520 calories!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.

Some people are completely okay with just eating a bit at a time of something like that. It's supposed to be a dessert anyway, you're not trying to fill up on cake hopefully. It helps checking how many calories something has before you eat it, too. (Says the guy that ate a 400 cal donut today).
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sweets in general, like chocolates - Obviously not surpised that they had a lot, but really seeing how a perfetly reasonable amount will just eat up such a big part of your daily calorie intake! Seriously, it seems like someone asked "how can we cram as many calories as possible into this thing?", besides straight up lard, nothing beats it!

And also so many things home coocked versus store bought - like wraps, bread, jam, cream cheese, pasta sauce - I honestly think what I make tastes better, and it has like half the calories. What on earth are the manufactueres doing?
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation.

For me, "moderation" has become a "once in a very little while" thing rather than "just a little bit" thing. Cheesecake is fine if you have it a couple times a year, not fine if you have it every day or every week. I figure if I blow out my calories a few days a year (like my birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc), that's okay, because most of the time I'm eating at a pretty deep deficit. I have a hard time with "just one bite" for some things, so moderation is slightly different for me.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Approximately 163-170 calories per 28 grams or 1 ounce. I've also been shocked at a lot of other foods including how small serving sizes actually are when you start weighing them out.

Also was shocked to see how many calories (430) were in a sausage breakfast sandwich at Tim Hortons. More than a Mcdouble!
  • Animebride2015
    Options
    chickfla breakfast meal, i used to eat and the large lemonaid
  • missbirrell
    Options
    - It never really occurred to me that fruit and veg had calories - and sometimes quite high.
    - The amount of sugar in yoghurts absolutely astonished me. Especially because they're marketed as healthy. Same with cereal bars etc but yoghurts really got me.
    - I kind of figured that most things were high cal but some things like mince or certain chocolate bars really perplex me. How is there SO much in something so small?!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options

I have to make sure that tiny, delicious slice is shared among several people in order to enjoy it in moderation. My biggie are the sugars in things like Grapefruit that is relatively sour, it should've have so much sugar in it, even if it is a natural sugar.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

If I know I am going to be consuming a large amount of calories, I just make sure to burn a lot of calories exercising that day or the next day. Problem solved! Or sometimes I will eat low cal/ high protein and fiber all day and save my calories for going out to dinner that evening. It was a pain planning everything initially, but now I am used to it, and it's no big deal.
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten this in a long time, but the toaster sandwiches or burgers at Sonic are over 1000 calories. OMG. They aren't even that good.
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    chickfla breakfast meal, i used to eat and the large lemonaid

Mhmm, now I want a chicken biscuit. I used to think Chickfila was so much better than McDonalds or other fast food. So, so wrong.
  • Aly51313
    Aly51313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer - when I measured it out. What I had become used to thinking of as "35 calories" was actually closer to 140 because I was using 4 tablespoons, which is really just a few seconds-long pour. This really adds up over the course of a few days!