Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "While she does not have the body type that I want, I think we should be careful in what we say. I am under my recommended BMI and on the border of healthy and underweight, according to the charts, and you certainly can't say that I am "all skin and bones". "Appallingly" skinny to you, is what some people are naturally. They eat just as much as I do, exercise less, and are completely healthy. I'm sure I would get bashed if I called somebody appallingly fat. Lets be careful with what we say, since I am positive there are healthy, active, well fed women on here that have her exact body type."

THIS THIS THIS!!! I am astounded at the body shaming going on here of the winning contestant. How is it okay to call someone "skin and bones" "disgustingly weak" and completely slam their appearance, yet it's not ok to call someone fat, appallingly obese, and the like? I think we, as an overweight nation, have forgotten what skinny looks like. Her BMI is slightly under "normal," but that has always been a horrible measure of health. Everyone knows that, and it's hypocritical to use BMI against her now when everyone knows what crap it is. Rachel is amazingly better off now than she was at her heaviest. I'm sure her weight will even out to where she wants it to be, because that's all that matters.

(Edited to add quotations around the quote of another forum member... for some reason the quote function wasn't working for me.)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Once again, this forum revels in skinny shaming. Then, I wouldn't expect anything less from these forums.

Honestly, it's nice change of pace to see somebody actually finish their weight loss journey.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    And for the record, 105 at 5'4" is within a healthy BMI.

This nation is just accustomed to seeing its own fat.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    And for the record, 105 at 5'4" is within a healthy BMI.

This nation is just accustomed to seeing its own fat.

What I was trying to say in a nutshell.
  • time4me2change14
    time4me2change14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Her BMI is 18 .... anything below 18.5% is considered underweight for her size.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

I am not about skinny shaming. I agree we all come in different shapes and sizes but I just think that she went from one extreme to another. From being overweight to underweight. I don't know if she simply did it for the money and plans on gaining the weight back, I don't know her personally so I cannot say that.

What I hope happens, after the sheer shock of her intense weight loss, Biggest Loser re-thinks its position. It should be all about healthy weight loss. So there should be a line that cannot get crossed. They should sit down with each of the contestants and a dr and determine what the lowest HEALTHY weight is for that person and put in their contracts that if they go below that line, they are disqualified.

Lets remember, this is supposed to motivate people to start their journey, not to promote unhealthy weight loss.

All in all, I really would rather watch Chris Powell and his wife on his show because its a one on one thing and that person's health is the priority! That is how it should be.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I am not about skinny shaming. I agree we all come in different shapes and sizes but I just think that she went from one extreme to another. From being overweight to underweight. I don't know if she simply did it for the money and plans on gaining the weight back, I don't know her personally so I cannot say that.

What I hope happens, after the sheer shock of her intense weight loss, Biggest Loser re-thinks its position. It should be all about healthy weight loss. So there should be a line that cannot get crossed. They should sit down with each of the contestants and a dr and determine what the lowest HEALTHY weight is for that person and put in their contracts that if they go below that line, they are disqualified.

Lets remember, this is supposed to motivate people to start their journey, not to promote unhealthy weight loss.

All in all, I really would rather watch Chris Powell and his wife on his show because its a one on one thing and that person's health is the priority! That is how it should be.

Suddenly BMI charts are accurate because we are talking about a skinny woman?

I guess anybody with a BMI of 25.5 deserves ridicule and has an eating disorder as well.
  • time4me2change14
    Options

I guess anybody with a BMI of 25.5 deserves ridicule and has an eating disorder as well.

BMI charts are used for people of ALL sizes. I am not using it strictly because she is skinny. I am overweight and I know it and I am working on correcting that. My dr sat me down and showed me where I personally was on the BMI chart so no, I am NOT saying it simply because she is skinny, as I said, she went from one extreme to another. Unhealthy overweight and Unhealthy underweight. Also, as I said, who is to say she wont gain some back to look better and be healthy and just did the drastic and unhealthy weight loss for the money. We do not know but it does set a very poor example.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

BMI charts are used for people of ALL sizes. I am not using it strictly because she is skinny. I am overweight and I know it and I am working on correcting that. My dr sat me down and showed me where I personally was on the BMI chart so no, I am NOT saying it simply because she is skinny, as I said, she went from one extreme to another. Unhealthy overweight and Unhealthy underweight. Also, as I said, who is to say she wont gain some back to look better and be healthy and just did the drastic and unhealthy weight loss for the money. We do not know but it does set a very poor example.

Sorry, but I don't see how somebody finishing their weight loss journey sets a poor example.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ditto for me
  • time4me2change14
    Options

Sorry, but I don't see how somebody finishing their weight loss journey sets a poor example.

Well, if you are comfortable watching someone win a prize for being at an unhealthy size, that is up to you. As I said, even Bob and Jillian had a look of pure and honest concern on their faces when she walked out.

Let me be clear, I am not jealous, I am not envious, I am not hating on skinny people. I am just saying it is a concern when we see someone looking as unhealthy as she does, and underweight that we give her a prize and say "job well done, better too skinny then too fat"
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, the prize is a quarter of a million dollars. I would do a hell of a lot worse than be hungry for 30 days for that much money. Does anyone know she wasnt under strict Dr. supervision and proper supplementation with vitamins and minerals? Think about what you can do with a quarter of a cool crisp million, straight cash.

P.S. Oh, $250,000.00 ..
  • jcanen57
    jcanen57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    She also won a car! Congratulations to Rachel. Jillian Michaels only weighs 5 or ten lbs more than Rachel. I thought Bobby looked too thin as well. But the show's point is to win, and too loose the most.
    I thought all the contestants did a good job of weight loss.
  • jcanen57
    jcanen57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, the prize is a quarter of a million dollars. I would do a hell of a lot worse than be hungry for 30 days for that much money. Does anyone know she wasnt under strict Dr. supervision and proper supplementation with vitamins and minerals? Think about what you can do with a quarter of a cool crisp million, straight cash.

P.S. Oh, $250,000.00 ..

I would love to have the money...and the car...and she will be a spokes model for the show, I think everyone is over reacting....she feels great! She's happy, and I am happy for her.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    she did not look healthy. I blame the producers and her trainer if he knew how small she was getting. She could have been 117 and won. I generally like the positive message this show sends (except the stupid season with Conda who annoyed the heck out of me), but this was terrible. This should NOT have been allowed to happen.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Well, if you are comfortable watching someone win a prize for being at an unhealthy size, that is up to you. As I said, even Bob and Jillian had a look of pure and honest concern on their faces when she walked out.

Let me be clear, I am not jealous, I am not envious, I am not hating on skinny people. I am just saying it is a concern when we see someone looking as unhealthy as she does, and underweight that we give her a prize and say "job well done, better too skinny then too fat"

Everybody's reaction, including yours, to a woman who may or may not be a FEW pounds under weight is what's shocking. You would've thought she came out looking like a holocaust survivor. She is not "clearly unhealthy" anymore than a person with a FEW extra pounds is clearly unhealthy.

How about I go around making rash judgements and assumptions about people who don't fit into a size 6 or below jeans. It seems people are less shocked at the sight of a morbidly obese woman than a woman who may be 1-2 lbs under weight. Truth is Rachel is closer to a "healthy" weight than 70% of Americans and maybe people really are just used to seeing their own fat.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I would love to have the money...and the car...and she will be a spokes model for the show, I think everyone is over reacting....she feels great! She's happy, and I am happy for her.

True story! People are so overdramatic. We've all dieted and know what it's like to be hungry, its REALLY not that bad. She did what needed to be done for 30 days to win a quarter of a million dollars, a new car and probably absurds amounts of money post show. It would take me working full 8 1/2 hour days, real hard work for the next 5-6+ years for that kind of money. I'm pretty sure being hungry for 30 days is about one of the easiest $%&%#@ I could come up with for that amount of cash.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Everybody's reaction, including yours, to a woman who may or may not be a FEW pounds under weight is what's shocking. You would've thought she came out looking like a holocaust survivor. She is not "clearly unhealthy" anymore than a person with a FEW extra pounds is clearly unhealthy.

How about I go around making rash judgements and assumptions about people who don't fit into a size 6 or below jeans. It seems people are less shocked at the sight of a morbidly obese woman than a woman who may be 1-2 lbs under weight. Truth is Rachel is closer to a "healthy" weight than 70% of Americans and maybe people really are just used to seeing their own fat.

Judging from your comments, it seems like you didn't really followed the show so I'm not sure why you are spending so much time being all defensive about your own weight when we are talking about the BL winner. You are right that the BMI is only a guideline and each persons weight should be viewed individually to deem them healthy or unhealthy. I can tell you for a a fact that in Rachel's case, she is unhealthy. Rachel looked sick during the finale. Also in case you don't know, being an slightly underweight is much more unhealthy than being slightly overweight. There's a lot of leniency upwards but not going downwards. Serious medical issues don't start becoming a problem usually unless someone's BMI is well above 30. Even then, the damage to someone's health usually takes years or decades before increase in mortality. But people with BMI lower than 17.5 can have serious health implications in just a short period of time.
  • funnygrrl
    funnygrrl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    im highly concerned about what Rachel looks like now. While I think it's great she lost the weight, I think it's just a bit too much, and it was startling, almost disturbing to see her come out... i think part of the problem with this show is it promotes weight loss, and doesn't factor in the importance of gaining muscle through this process. i mean, Tanya probably would have been better off overall, if they did this based on body fat, not the actual number of pounds lost, since she has gotten stronger since on the ranch. the other issue i have with this show is where do these competitors go from here... they are used to the ranch, they have some tools to be healthy, but they have to transition back to home. are they ready? do they have the tools necessary so they don't suddenly balloon up again, which can shock their system...?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Most doctors would not consider a BMI around 18 to be unhealthy for a small framed healthy person. They eat a meal and suddenly they are at 18.5.

But, I agree that Rachel looks very thin for her frame.
  • martinytime
    martinytime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Was shocking! Bob and Jillian were gasping when they saw Rachel....she looked anorexic and her arms lost muscle. Very sad. Some of the other plyers looked phenomonal though, Marie and Tumi. :)