Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Agree! An adult woman should not weigh 105 lbs!

sorry? i am an adult woman and am very comfortable at 105 lbs. this **** is ridiculous. if this were reversed, can you imagine the uproar over someone crowing about how "an adult woman should not weight 275 lbs" or some such bull**** like that.

i don't watch this show, but i think for her height (5'4" apparently) 105 lbs is not abhorrent! i agree that it sounds like it happened quite drastically and very fast - but those stats are not "sickly" and "anorexic". jesus.

*****es be jealous

Not everyone is pro-ana.
  • gameovergt
    Options
    my wife said the same thing: anorexia. I didn't realize she was 105 small.
  • yellowtelephone
    Options
    Stats are not anything without context. A woman can weight 105 pounds and be healthy. A woman can also weigh 105 pounds and be unhealthy. This isn't a war about shaming any person for their body size, this is about genuine concern for a person who we all came to know and cheer for throughout the season.

If a show was centered around drug rehabilitation and then 3 months later at a reunion show was clearly sunken eyed, completely out of it and looked 15 years older, you would be concerned. When the professionals who have supported her for months that personally know her cannot hide the concern on their faces, it makes sense for us to get our cues from them. (who are not 'jealous *****es' as one person in the forum mistook concern/shock/discomfort for jealously).

I generally don't post in forums like these because I think people are far too picked apart for their appearances and their bodies, but I am truly concerned and hope for a return to health and balance for Rachel. She deserves that, we all do.
  • nicolie8
    Options

What makes you think that she is unhealthy? It said she was at 19% bodyfat. If that is unhealthy, then I guess I have one foot in the grave, and jillian 6 feet under. Yet I'm willing to bet that Rachel could probably outrun the majority of people making the negative comments about her.

Yes, she is very thin. But she is far from anorexic. And judging by the amount of negative comments on here and the internet in general, we have a huge perception problem in this country when it comes to what "healthy" looks like.

She's not at 19% bodyfat here, she was at 19% in the footage of the semi-final show presented last week but was filmed well before that. The amount of muscle and fat she lost from the time they filmed the portion of the show when it was declared she was at 19% bodyfat, to tonight's footage, is absolutely staggering. She is unhealthy right now.

She doesn't look unhealthy to me. Very thin? Yes. Dangerously thin and unhealthy? No.

biggest-loser-rachel-2-400x266.jpg

biggest-loser-rachel-4-266x400.jpg

Imho, it's not her current *state* that's the potentially dangerous part. It's that she got there so...fast. This appears to be the fastest fat/LBM loss on the show, ever. It doesn't set a healthy precedent.

Losing weight too fast is one thing. But that is not what people are saying on here. They are saying she is sickly, skin and bones, and anorexic. And it makes me wonder if they have ever seen somebody who is actually anorexic. Its a sad day for humanity when she is considered anorexic.

Did you watch the finale? Have you seen Rachel's journey throughout this season? Just watching her talk you could see how much this drastic weightloss affected her; she had deep wrinkles and looked like she had aged since the last episode. If you saw her hug Allison after winning, you would see how much muscle mass she has lost from her arms, which now look like nothing but bone. Wardrobe put her in that dress for a reason and it seems to be doing its job if all people think is that shes "thin" when looking at those pictures.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really surprised?

The Biggest Loser has never been about health or achieving a good relationship with food, your eating, exercise and your body. It sets an absolutely terrible example.

It is about weight loss at any cost and is a reflection of most people's goals when dieting. Be careful what you wish for as it might just come true...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

What makes you think that she is unhealthy? It said she was at 19% bodyfat. If that is unhealthy, then I guess I have one foot in the grave, and jillian 6 feet under. Yet I'm willing to bet that Rachel could probably outrun the majority of people making the negative comments about her.

Yes, she is very thin. But she is far from anorexic. And judging by the amount of negative comments on here and the internet in general, we have a huge perception problem in this country when it comes to what "healthy" looks like.

She's not at 19% bodyfat here, she was at 19% in the footage of the semi-final show presented last week but was filmed well before that. The amount of muscle and fat she lost from the time they filmed the portion of the show when it was declared she was at 19% bodyfat, to tonight's footage, is absolutely staggering. She is unhealthy right now.

She doesn't look unhealthy to me. Very thin? Yes. Dangerously thin and unhealthy? No.

biggest-loser-rachel-2-400x266.jpg

biggest-loser-rachel-4-266x400.jpg

Imho, it's not her current *state* that's the potentially dangerous part. It's that she got there so...fast. This appears to be the fastest fat/LBM loss on the show, ever. It doesn't set a healthy precedent.

Losing weight too fast is one thing. But that is not what people are saying on here. They are saying she is sickly, skin and bones, and anorexic. And it makes me wonder if they have ever seen somebody who is actually anorexic. Its a sad day for humanity when she is considered anorexic.

Did you watch the finale? Have you seen Rachel's journey throughout this season? Just watching her talk you could see how much this drastic weightloss affected her; she had deep wrinkles and looked like she had aged since the last episode. If you saw her hug Allison after winning, you would see how much muscle mass she has lost from her arms, which now look like nothing but bone. Wardrobe put her in that dress for a reason and it seems to be doing its job if all people think is that shes "thin" when looking at those pictures.

Adding, on the basis of the current DSM criteria for AN its likely that she WOULD warrant a diagnosis of AN or subthreshold AN. She has lost a HUGE amount of weight in a very short time and I'd be willing to bet engages in severe calorie restriction and compensatory behaviours.

Also this

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/16/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • damd1230
    Options
    Im glad Im not alone with my reaction to when Rachel walked out-i couldnt believe my eyes!! How is this look healthy?? She looked way too thin and I was totally looking forward to her being a lean, fit competitor like we saw her transform into during the show. I think I was as shocked as the looks on the trainers faces. Absolutely a disappointment!!!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The biggest loser contestants are encouraged by the producers to take diuretics, laxatives and do extreme amounts of exercise without even rehydrating before weigh-ins. I'm not surprised they're looking a bit sick. Google 'Kai Hibbard Biggest Loser' to read what really goes on on that show.
  • mulchingoverwinter
    Options
    I used to love watching TBL when it first came out, but then I got it into my head that even "normal" people could lose weight if they eat very little and exercised like a demon was on their back. Since reading up and learning that this isn’t right, I've stopped watching it, its unrealistic, unsuitable and at the end of the day its "reality" TV, and it’s a sad day in the world when TV like this gets given airtime when it gives such an unsuitable mind-set. I worry about the millions of other people who thought like me and must be going through a dreadful time, if I kept my "mind-set" I'm 100% certain I would either be in hospital from malnutrition and fatigue or with a eating disorder.
  • mickischueler
    Options
    I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in my opinion. I specifically searched the internet this morning to see if anyone was talking about this. She is such a pretty girl and looks so much more healthy with a little more athletic build. She is scary thin and definitely took it too far. I hope her mom, who was her rock and support, helps her realize this. Otherwise she'll be in the news again soon and not in a good way.
  • Dgantt
    Dgantt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having been a fan of the show in years past (it had been a bit of a guilty pleasure), I was really disappointed with seeing the anorexic look of some of the contestants at the 2014 finale. Rachel IS the Biggest Looser but what she seems to have lost is her health.

I'm thinking its probably time for me to quit following the show as the messaging has ended up going south. In one week, it went from inspiring to just wrong.

I had to do a quick BMI check on Rachel, just because......

Height: 5 feet, 9 inches
    Weight: 105 pounds

Your BMI is 15.5, indicating your weight is in the Underweight category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 125 to 169 pounds.

Talk with your healthcare provider to determine possible causes of underweight and if you need to gain weight.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really surprised?

The Biggest Loser has never been about health or achieving a good relationship with food, your eating, exercise and your body. It sets an absolutely terrible example.

It is about weight loss at any cost and is a reflection of most people's goals when dieting. Be careful what you wish for as it might just come true...

This. Just this.
  • sassysadler71
    sassysadler71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I am still so shocked to have seen her. She looked anorexic. Very disturbing for me. Jillian's face said it all!
  • janaq2003
    janaq2003 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I swear she looks like Karen Carpenter.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Agree! An adult woman should not weigh 105 lbs!

sorry? i am an adult woman and am very comfortable at 105 lbs. this **** is ridiculous. if this were reversed, can you imagine the uproar over someone crowing about how "an adult woman should not weight 275 lbs" or some such bull**** like that.

i don't watch this show, but i think for her height (5'4" apparently) 105 lbs is not abhorrent! i agree that it sounds like it happened quite drastically and very fast - but those stats are not "sickly" and "anorexic". jesus.

*****es be jealous

Not everyone is pro-ana.
    seriously? because a woman can be 5'4" and 105 lbs and be perfectly healthy, that makes it pro-ana? go educate yourself. the ignorance and hypocrisy is rampant in this thread.
  • fortally
    Options
    Wow, woke up this morning still creeped out by last night's finale. Guess it wasn't just me! When she walked out I wanted to ask her to please sit down before she collapsed, and I desperately wanted to feed her some chicken soup!

I've been on the fence with BL - I watch because I DO find some of the transformations motivating and inspiring. I've also read all the negatives about it and don't like that either. But last night I finally fell off the fence and landed on the horrified side. I felt sick watching Rachel's weigh in - the only word I could think to describe her was "skeletal."

What an absolute difference from the at home winner Tumi. Both women are beautiful, but Tumi looked strong and vibrant. She talked about running marathons. Maybe it was the cameras, but she glowed with happiness and health.

Tumi's transformation made me say, "WOW - she is absolutely stunning!!" Rachel's made me say, "Ummm...I'm not okay with that..."

Sorry Biggest Loser - but I can't get past this one. You just presented a winner who looks like the exact OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to achieve on my own fitness journey. Can't get behind starvation. Sorry - won't be watching next season!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am the one that started this topic and it was not set up to bash anyone thin or fat. I do think that this episode is going to raise the concern that a lot of people have had with the show as far as health. Do I think that someone can be underweight and be healthy? YES! Do I think that some can be overweight and healthy? YES! But beyond that, there gets to a point where unhealthy is unhealthy no matter how you tip the scale. On the skinny side, yes Nicole Richie is thin, but she is a slender healthy thin. What we saw tonight on Biggest Loser was a different level, at least what I saw. If we are too afraid to say it when we see it, then we are just as big as a problem than the people who call others "fat" or "twiggy". Its not about that...it is about being HEALTHY.

No no no! She was at 19% BEFORE she lost the additional 45lbs since leaving the ranch! The Doctor has said "5 more lbs, and you will be around the body fat% of an athlete." Rachel then since lost 45lbs.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Rachel was my favorite this season. I thought she looked too thin. The Biggest Loser is still my favorite show but I hope she adds a few more pounds because imo she looks unhealthy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am guessing Rachel will gain some weight back as she focuses on athletics again. I agree with the person who mentioned that putting contestants like Rachel up against men who weigh in the 400's contributes to this. It would be hard to stop losing weight that I knew I could regain if the end result was $250,000.
  • spwarnock
    Options
    Come on people!!!! Let's really look at this for what it is. A game show! Most of you that are bashing Rachel would have done exactly the same thing to win a quarter of a million dollars. I would have. That kinda money buys a lot of pop tarts and ice cream!!!!!!! If she developed an unhealthy eating habit guess what...she has 250,000 to spend on rehab for that. Get off your high horses and quit acting like you wouldn't have continued to lose weight to win the money.